GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Shower tray - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shower tray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower tray

Hi,

Some 18 years back we had an extension built that allowed an upstairs bedroom with an en-suite which had a shower. The tray was porcelain and only lasted about 6 months before developing a hairline crack that gradually got worse. The builders had done a runner into thin air by this time and although we tried to seal the crack it was leaking and too dangerous to use so has sat collecting dust ever since, until now that is.

I removed it completely over the weekend and I think that the problem was that it was sat onto the floor boards (the modern wider panels, not old traditional floor boards) with the odd plastic spacer that had a dab of sealant applied under and on top for adhesion. Even if that made it level I would think the open spaces under it would leave it open to just what happened, cracking.

The wood itself has obviously had water on it but appears to be sound, and replacing it would be a nightmare as the runs go under the tiled partition shower walls into the main bedroom.

My question is how should I go about seating and levelling a new tray so the same thing doesn't happen again, it's upstairs so I would think putting on a concrete base is out.

Advice much appreciated.

Thx

Re: Shower tray

I haven't got a clue. BUT, there may well be someone on here that has so hold on in there xx
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Bear with me my OH is a builder he may know .... Back later.
      if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hardibacker board is the best stuff for underneath baths/showers if you are doing it from scratch. When these are done from new, they are usually bedded on a layer of cement/cement based tile-adhesive for strength with a good quality sanitary sealant around the edges so it forms a really good seal up against the wall.
        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Hiya hubby agrees with SA you must make doubly sure it is very well sealed, we have an upstairs shower with the hardboard underneath never been any problem. X

Comment

I stand inside on myy steps when I clean the grout with Hubby's toothbrush

Comment

Thanks all, much appreciated.

"When these are done from new, they are usually bedded on a layer of cement/cement based tile-adhesive for strength with a good quality sanitary sealant around the edges so it forms a really good seal up against the wall."

Is this so the cement fills any gaps under the tray ? if so would need a fair bit of cement then.

What about the raised trays that are on legs, are they any good ? From what I can see they just sit on their legs.

Thx

Comment

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/showertray.htm

This might help

Comment

Originally posted by lookingforward View Post

Is this so the cement fills any gaps under the tray ? if so would need a fair bit of cement then.

What about the raised trays that are on legs, are they any good ? From what I can see they just sit on their legs.

Thx
                  Hi. Yes, it forms a solid base which the tray will stick to. The raised trays are OK; this is essentially what your bath will be using.
                  If going for the latter, i would be inclined to make sure all the floor is secure (screw down if in doubt), fit in a piece of 18mm wbp with 9mm harddibacker on top. Mark out where your legs are going to be and drill some pilot holes. get it in nice and square and level and pencil around the sides (top and bottom. pull it back out and give a nice amount of good quality sanitary sealant within the pencilled area. Get the tray back in nice and tight to the wall and get the legs screwed down. Allow the sealant to go off (preferably overnight) and fill with water (or put a bag of sand in) to simulate someone standing in the shower. Then go around all the edges with good silicone.
                  Hope this helps
                  When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Thanks to you both.

A couple of questions please:

Whats wpd and what are the drilled pilot holes for ?

Apologies for my thickness haha

Comment

Pilot holes will give you quide when you screw the tray down finally ( saves quessing where the holes are ).x

Comment

Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
                        Pilot holes will give you quide when you screw the tray down finally ( saves quessing where the holes are ).x
                        Ahh ok, didn't realise it had to be screwed down. thanks

Comment

hi, yeah as nanna says, but this is if the feet require it - they will have small holes in them if they need screwing down.
                          wbp means water resistant plywood sometime sold as wbp or marine ply.
                          Hope this helps

Comment

We should start a venture SA.

Comment

Thank you both

We should start a venture SA.

call it nanna 'SA Gold advice

Comment

Working...
                              X