GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script fresh christmas turkey - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fresh christmas turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: fresh christmas turkey

I love a bit of beef at Christmas too, but I also like turkey cold in sandwiches on boxing day, so I buy both (hubby likes it for Christmas dinner; I can take it or leave it).

My local butchers shop sells a nice big sirloin, on the bone, complete with the "eye", and I am lucky enough to live amongst farmland, so I buy a turkey from a local farm, and pick it up Christmas eve (plucked and oven ready, of course!), and they are the best I've ever had.

I have had frozen and fresh supermarket turkeys in the past, and couldn't really say there was a great deal of difference between them, even when I bought a bronze one, costing a small fortune (which Sainsburys kindly donated due to my rewards vouchers accumulated) - I didn't find it particularly special.

So if I didn't have the option of buying from a farm, but really wanted one, I suppose either would do; but at least with fresh you don't get the hassle of having to defrost it.
    If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wishfullthinking
      what i am saying is these birds will be stored at -20 then at xmas will be sold as fresh evan though they have been frozen

Sadly as long as they put a wee note on it to say "previously frozen" im afriad its ok

Seafood *prawns especially* come into Asda and other places frozen and the fish counter thaw it out. If you ask them they have to tell you.

Comment

I find turkey boring...bland.....

Last year I had a whole salmon to myself...I didn't eat it [went down with a lurgy]...it was frozen, but I gave it away in the end.

Chicken is too all-year-roundy for me too..I have it almost every other day, so it seems.

lamb and pork I love, especially the fat..which is bad for me apparently....and pork, especially, I struggle to digest...

beef, I have almost every other week, in the form of steak...I much prefer the rib-eye steak to sirloin or rump....I get it off the used 'n poked counter at Tescos...

However, for me its about making the effort....since the third great and glorious split, there will only be myself and S&H on Xmas day [my turn this year]....

S&H will likely either want toast and Marmite...or a small fry-up...[Richmond sausages only....].....so I think I'll end up scanning the posh shelves for a nicely appealing pre-packed something...since it's only me I'm really catering for...

Might have a gander at M&S?

or might settle for liver 'n onions?

Comment

I wouldn't buy a 'fresh' turkey from a supermarket because I know it's most probably been previously frozen. I'm one of the few, it seems, who does actually like turkey but perhaps I've been lucky and mostly had it cooked well rather than overcooked. Besides, if you don't have turkey how can you have turkey and stuffing sandwiches with pickled onions for Christmas night supper? Or Turkey dripping on toast for boxing day breakfast?

wasnt Lamb the original dish of xmas ? *ponders*
          I thought it was goose?

OH and I will be having Christmas by ourselves this year, as his boys will be with their Mum, and I've never cooked a goose so we will most likely try one this year.
          "Friendship isn't about who you have known the longest. It's about those who came and never left your side!"

Comment

Well we always have to have beef as well as my mum doesn't eat poultry. My friend gets my meat (huge piece of beef and a huge piece for gammon) for me - always yum.

I then just get a Turkey Crown. My friends sister was telling about the turkey that she got last year on line "Black Turkey" and said it was amazing................... so i looked on-line and I saw photos of all the little turkeys and I thought OMG I can't eat one of those........................

Comment

I can second that - black turkeys are the best!

I'm not keen on a turkey crown as I actually prefer the dark leg meat.
              "Friendship isn't about who you have known the longest. It's about those who came and never left your side!"

Comment

I like the white meat myself and Mr Looloo doesn't really do meat off the bone.

O HH those turkey's sound amaze but it was just seeing the pictures of them - I was like Ahhhhhhhhhh I can't eat one of those............ this is why I could NEVER live on a farm

Comment

I find the dark meat and meat cooked on the bone has more flavour and is generally more succulent.

Comment

We usually have a Turkey Crown, bought mine from M & S last year, very expensive and couldn't tell any difference from any other. We do like a piece of beef, and I usually buy a Salmon cut piece, I'm not sure where this cut comes from on the body, but its absolutely boootiful.!!

Now I'm hungy, and just having beans on toast for tea.!!

Comment

I am off for a Christmas dinner in November and I am buying and cooking the Turkey - I am going to get a frozen one - so will let you know on the taste test

Elsie I used to get one from M and S but so expensive now get my crown from Sainsburys - just as nice and half the price!!

xx
                      (oops I really am stalking you now!)

Comment

Looloo.

I think someone is stalking me........!! ;EEK

;LOL ;LOL

Will probably be getting my turkey from Sainsbury's this year, although it will be a small one, just me and Mr E this year.......boo hoo......want my babies back home. I used to grumble having 3 boys constantly eating me out of house and home, but I would turn back the years in the blink of an eye.

Comment

Working...
                        X