GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Common Faults website?? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Common Faults website??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Common Faults website??

Job literally being done now!

Slave Cylinder
    Clutch/Flywheel/Bolts etc

Full cost including bro in law discount £1,004.68P

I was expecting to pay more to be honest, and "think" this may include about is it 3 or 5 years guarantee.
    Last edited by di30; 21 June 2012, 12:17. Reason: missed out letters

Comment

Di a o6 plate focus costs about that

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p
      I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
        Di a o6 plate focus costs about that

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p

Our's is a 2ltr tdci, so I expect it's the same for any engine size perhaps? oh you mean to buy LOL. That's the estate shape, a little different to ours. ;-)
        This is like our shape but that one a 2008 year.
        http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/focus-2008/

We have just under 51k on ours now, not bad for the year really I don't think.
        Last edited by di30; 21 June 2012, 12:46.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
          Job literally being done now!

Slave Cylinder
          Clutch/Flywheel/Bolts etc

Full cost including bro in law discount £1,004.68P

I was expecting to pay more to be honest, and "think" this may include about is it 3 or 5 years guarantee.
          The fact all this has now been done by fords makes a good selling point and worth pointing out when you do come to sell.

Comment

We have up to now been very lucky and this touch wood have been the only issue, unfortunately on recently finding out as a common fault.
            More so apparantely with the 1.8 than ours of the 2litre's, but as with any car it's a chance we take I suppose. We did part ex our other car for this one directly with Fords, and they were saying they still have all the details with this car, the only issue they did have with this with the last owner was a cracked number plate.
            It's passed all the MOT's up to now.

Our's is still absolutely showroom condition, inside and out,and the 6 speed certainly comes in for use for saving on the fuel as well. There was just one middle aged owner who had this car before us. We have Full Service History with papers as well, so will keep this going and keep the documents to show for this when selling in time.

Was so disheartened when this happened though, was gutted, costly but as long as we get the guarantee, and if this happened again within that time, they can deal with it with no further charges from us lol.
            And it's giving us 3 years to think about what to change to next
            Last edited by di30; 21 June 2012, 13:32. Reason: adding further info

Comment

Car done and all good as new again!Phew!

Comment

I always have mixed feelings when I read adverts where the seller says £1500 spent in past 6 months or similar. Part of me thinks it's good as nothing more should go wrong, the other part thinks if they've had to spend that much in 6 months, they must be selling it cos it's a liability. What's the consensus on this?

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
                  I always have mixed feelings when I read adverts where the seller says £1500 spent in past 6 months or similar. Part of me thinks it's good as nothing more should go wrong, the other part thinks if they've had to spend that much in 6 months, they must be selling it cos it's a liability. What's the consensus on this?
                  depends on what it was that was done and whether that was reasonable for the work done.

Remember they could have just had new tyres and brakes and that could have been upto 1500 depending on car
                  I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Comment

for example i'd hate to have to replace those
                    http://www.blackcircles.com/news/201...e-set-of-tyres

Comment

See the proof of spend to start with, sellers wouldn't exaggerate would they ?

Then it really depends on the value of the car and if the items were safety related, something that would need replacing for MOT test purposes or something to keep the car running. A car without MOT is pretty much worthless as is a car that doesn't run, so those tend to be the essential spends.

However, if the recent spend involves a head gasket then I would probably swerve the vehicle, and I would probably avoid any diesel vehicle that's had petrol put in. You could be walking into a money pit in those two situations even though the vehicle seems to run 100% at present.

I would stay clear of a car with less then 6 months MOT and an advisory indication on the existing MOT certificate, it usually means you will be walking into a failure next time, unless I could see the advisory note (on new MOT certificates the advisory items are shown on the certificate, just watch out for the old style big green ones)

Also if you see a stamped book match the stamps to the invoices and service schedules, garages write on the invoices what problems there are (or are on the way) - I would be wary seeing a stamp in a book but no invoice proof, why is it missing ? the owner can always get a re-print from the servicing garage.

I am not that bothered what's been spent on a car, I am more interested in what I might have to spend after buying it !
                      Last edited by Bricktop; 21 June 2012, 19:39.

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
                        depends on what it was that was done and whether that was reasonable for the work done.

Remember they could have just had new tyres and brakes and that could have been upto 1500 depending on car
                        Time Immemorial the number of times my dad and me replaced everything on an old banger, just to give up and sell it on when something costing just a few quid to fix became the final straw.

Then to see the car a year or two later, with a happy owner who tells you he hasn't had to spend a penny on it since he bought it from you.

I never count Tyres and Brakes in with the value of a car as to me those are consumable items. If I know the cam belt needs replacing at 75K and there is an invoice with the car showing it's been done, Fine

Like the work Di has had done on hers, the car is in the worth it bracket (just) It won't add pounds to it's sale value but lets say the expected life of the repair is 50K then a purchaser can work out how many mile he can do before it's likely to cost him.

I don't think there is much wrong with high mileage cars that have a full dealer service history. I have even bought a couple of ex company cars. So you can't guarantee how they have been driven, but main dealers tend to be over enthusiastic with tolerances. So if a part need changing it most likely has been.

I was surprised to find out a few weeks ago how easy it is to "Clock" a Digital mileometer ( Oddometer) at least one thing you can now go to the ugov website and check a vehicles past MOT's. The mileage is recorded at the test centre. You do need the log book to do this, but it's another aid to see if your motors genuine.

Regards, Handy
                        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                        Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Would anyone buy a motor car with an oil dipstick that is just too long?

Comment

Because this have been the only issue only (the clutch etc) apart from the guarantee receipts and MOT pass papers, there is nothing more, oh maybe new tyres we have receipts for them, and they were not cheap, and that was only because we wanted the Michelin on them for longer lasting running.

We do of course have the Ford dealer Service book all stamped, as we've kept up with each Service, so it will then show Full Service History.

So it would be nice to keep repairs down as such.
                            Last edited by di30; 22 June 2012, 09:03.

Comment

Also a nice email from Ford's came through today.

Thank you for choosing Cwmbran Ford to take care of your Ford. We hope that you had a great experience at our centre and are completely satisfied with the work that has been carried out.
                              Your choice is immensely appreciated by us all and I hope our team provided you and your car with a level of care and attention that properly conveys that. If for whatever reason, you are not completely satisfied with your experience at Cwmbran Ford, then please email me directly

Comment

Working...
                              X