GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Common Faults website?? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Common Faults website??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Common Faults website??

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
    DI Make sure you get the fault professionally diagnosed by your mechanic before splashing out the money. Get him at minimum to check the clutch slave and master cylinders and make sure there's no fluid leaking anywhere. Don't rely on us amateurs (well I am!) to diagnose without seeing it.
    BBoo couldn't agree more, perhaps we should have your quote as a banner at the top of every page.

While any advice I give is well meaning, it's years since I spent much time on the spanners. These days you need a laptop and software to diagnose a lot of faults.

My experience was with cars you could fix yourself. Landrovers, Mini's Escourts, Hillman Imps and so on.

Even the nuts and bolts are different these days as I have just had to call in at the car spares on my way back from the hospital to get a set of E Torx sockets so I can do the brakes on the new car.

So Di. like Niddy says get it checked out before panicking about where your going to get the parts from.

Regards, Handy
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Once you know what the fault is, pm me with the details of the car and the reg number. We've a family member works in a part shop who usually (not always) works out significantly cheaper. I'd willingly drop the parts over to you.

Comment

Once you know what the fault is, pm me with the details of the car and the reg number. We've a family member works in a part shop who usually (not always) works out significantly cheaper. I'd willingly drop the parts over to you.

That is so lovely of you BBoo thank you I will of course pay the fuel, because that is not cheap, a BIG thank you x

Comment

You're only about 15 miles away, don't be daft!

Just call it a straight £100!

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            BBoo couldn't agree more, perhaps we should have your quote as a banner at the top of every page.

While any advice I give is well meaning, it's years since I spent much time on the spanners. These days you need a laptop and software to diagnose a lot of faults.

My experience was with cars you could fix yourself. Landrovers, Mini's Escourts, Hillman Imps and so on.

Even the nuts and bolts are different these days as I have just had to call in at the car spares on my way back from the hospital to get a set of E Torx sockets so I can do the brakes on the new car.

So Di. like Niddy says get it checked out before panicking about where your going to get the parts from.

Regards, Handy
            Cheers Handy x

None of the dealers can fit it in to check today, and not until mid week, but Fords, where my in law works had another opinion from another ford mechanic, where some suggestions were made.

It was suggested to bleed the system (which we can do at home) because it may be air in the system, not long ago the pads were changed as well as a recommendation of the MOT.
            The Clutch does not seem abnormal to drive and it's not hard either, so they said start from the beginning, because it's only something they would do themselves anyway.

Although there was no time for them to put car on ramps to check, the mechanic sat in the car and done a few little in car tests, and said something like "Air in the hydraulic line" in a possibility, but he said it is not what you call a "hard clutch".
            Was told that in regards of Air in the hydraulic line, is yet another common issue.

So anyway, luckily hubby does not go in to work until tonight, my other in law a ex mechanic himself will be popping down to give hubby a hand, and we will take it from there.

You lot are amazing, thank you anyway. xx

Comment

You're only about 15 miles away, don't be daft!

Just call it a straight £100!

lol aww bless x

Comment

Didn't realise it was a shared reservoir. If the system was not bled properly it could well be air in the system.

Comment

I haven't the foggiest BBoo, but was told it was hydraulic.
                  Yes that's is a possibility.

Just found this here too.....

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch2.htm

Comment

okay, brake fluid is black and full of air bubbles, and I understand it should at least be clear???

Comment

It's normally a clear to amber colour. Dirty brake fluid goes brownish yellow.

Comment

It's normally a clear to amber colour. Dirty brake fluid goes brownish yellow.
                        This is really black and it's still coming out black, it will take some time me thinks.

Comment

Re the original post, the site you need is http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/
                          (Edit - too slow.. just seen link given in post #12)

It will give you all the good and bad on practically any car you can think of (use the manufacturer links on the left side of the main page).

Also there is a forum on there 'the back room' where you can get all sorts of useful info.

I work at a main dealer so if you have any general questions re the motor trade I will try & help you out.
                          Last edited by Bricktop; 18 June 2012, 13:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                            Re the original post, the site you need is http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/

It will give you all the good and bad on practically any car you can think of (use the manufacturer links on the left side of the main page).

Also there is a forum on there 'the back room' where you can get all sorts of useful info.

I work at a main dealer so if you have any general questions re the motor trade I will try & help you out.

Oh hello there.

That is fantastic, thank you so much, I am very grateful for this.

Excellent stuff, cheers.

Comment

System bled and renewed with new fluid, and no further air bubbles from what can be seen.

Problem still there but only when pushing down on clutch about half way, there is no growling or any noise when left alone on idle (apart from the usual diesel sound from the engine), just sort of cranky/clicky noise when pushing down as stated half way.

Usually when driving it tends to happen in low gear use, but other than that, everything sounds pretty much normal. The clutch feels no different to how it normally is either, such as not difficult to press etc.

Another possibility - Clutch Thow out bearing perhaps?
                              If this is the case, would that mean a new clutch etc, or just the bearings?

Just interested to know just in case, although we are not going to know the problem until checked by a garage properly.
                              Is there any sort of diagnosis tool to check these types of issues (hydraulic) does any of you guys know?

Thank you again.
                              Last edited by di30; 18 June 2012, 14:50.

Comment

Hi Di, you can do a pressure test on the hydraulics but this in't usually done. Normally if there is a leak it's visible and in the Master Cylinder seals are on their way out a few pumps of the pedal and the problem improves so that's an easy tell tale sign.

If it was the release bearing, I think most garages would advice you to replace the clutch assembly at the same time unless it looks pristine as the work involved in getting to the bearing is exactly the same as for a full replacement. To change the lot would probably only take an extra 20 minutes or so.

Sounds like a fast swop is in order.

Would you like my old people carrier, I will give you a warranty
                                10 Miles or 10 Minutes which ever comes first.

That's why it hasn't gone yet, too honest by far I am.

Regards, Handy
                                Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                                Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Working...
                                X