GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Alzheimers - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alzheimers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alzheimers

Casper,

m8 I thought it was the other way around

Oh what was my saying again oh that's it:

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism, To steal from many is research.

And that my friend is very befitting of this forum as we all learn from others.

Regards

Comment

For those who have taken an interest -- thank you. I have a little news of some success with OH's younger brother. We have learned today that he is being moved into a proper care home with medical and psychiatric nursing as well as social care over the next week to ten days. Starts gradually with visits with staff from the assessment centre then onto staff from the home itself, followed by an over night stay then a weekend stay finally permanently if all goes well. All so he acclimatises without sudden instability.

Negotiations have brought the costs down a little and the package has become "fully funded" from a "number of sources". That breakdown has not been revealed to us but as and when it becomes available I will post up how it is made up.

A result, hence from total stalemate it can be done and we did not have to threaten any further with this. The smell that we might just go legal got it moving.

regards
      Garlok
      Last edited by garlok; 11 July 2011, 13:56.

Comment

My late mother in law had it and he saddest and hardest thing my OH and his brothers had to do was to section her.I washed her, bathed her, and did all the things that is needed and she never stopped smiling not once not for a single second.I t is one of the saddest illnessses a family faces and my heart goes out to anyone in that boat.Before she went into the home we had to let the police know that she was wandering in the night and if she was found to ket us know, it was then that we knew we had to take drastic action.good luck xx
        if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I know how you feel nanna and everyone else who have gone through this.
          Watching my beloved dad go through this and the process, its so cruel.
          Dad was mid 60's when diagnosed and it was so upsetting.

When he was also ill very with other conditions he was taken into hospital several times and on many occasions we had phone calls that he went wandering from the hospital, the one time he even made it home and managed to get a lift from someone, still in his jim jams.
          I know it's a tough illness and I just hope that general hospitals get the training in the understanding of this illness.

I remember over hearing a nursing staff say to another that he was a nuisance. It was very hurtful and despite all his details were on his hospital cardex, we still had to explain to every shift the issues in regards of dementia/Alheimers.
          We know they have enough to deal with with other patients, but more training should be given I believe.

Comment

Garlok, I have been reading your posts as well, and my heart goes out to you.

We do worry about my brother aged now 44, he is very severely autistic also as from birth, he have lived in a little care home/cottage with 2 other residents since the age of 30 with well qualified staff because of both my parents then their own disabilities, despite us as a big family to muck in, my Uncle, my dad's brother had a high level of paranoid schizophrenia, and my grand-father low level schizophrenia.
            My brother has been having tests for parkinsons as well, as this was also suspected with my beloved dad too who had alzheimers.

However, my brother is unable to speak but these issues seem to affect the male sides in our family.

It makes me think if having traumatic illnesses may also bring this cruel ilness on, dad was poorly for years, and because he also became affected with encephalitis some years before we never had thought it was dementia later on, we assumed it was all to do with the brain encephalitis was why he was having memory issues.

Comment

Hi Di,

I also feel a great depth of sympathy for you, it is a terrible situation for anyone and at times the decisions that have to be taken are beyond the comprehension of anyone who has not experienced this terrible terrible illness first hand. And worst of all it does not get any easier. We had to deal with my mother in law's Alzheimers who eventually passed away in a home from it as it just shut down all of her normal functions.

I did not post up to trumpet any success more in the hope that it will inspire and give others hope to carry on the battles with the authorities to get proper treatment and care for their loved ones. Because that is what it always seems to turn into, a running battle with all the so called care agencies all trying to abdicate responsibility. Sadly as well, it comes from within the family itself in that often memebers of the family cannot accept that a loved one has reached the point where proper professional care full time is needed to maximise their quality of life for whatever time they have left. And in my view whatever our own feelings that has to be of paramount importance in any decsion making.

I think that we all have to remember "there, but for the grace of God go I"

sorry for the religious connotation there but it does sum it up.

best regards
              Garlok

Comment

Thanks so much for all the really helpful information here folks and very sorry to read about the various members family issues with this terrible illness. I can totally sympathise as my maternal Grandmother had it and now her daughter, my Mum has it............not much hope for me then My poor Father (in his early eighties) is struggling to cope as he has his own health issues and whilst I'm sure she appreciates all he does for her in her own way, OH and are certain that given time she will wear him out. Anyway, don't want to hijack Riberaclass's thread, but just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who has taken time to post with advice etc.

Much love and hugs to all who have to share this awful burden.

Landy x

Comment

Hiya Landy honey

Aww sweetheart, that is difficult, it certainly isn't easy.
                  Thiking of you XX

Cheers Garlok, you too know how hard this is. XX

Unfortunately my brother who I mentioned on here last night have been rushed into hospital, due to massive epileptic fits, they have been controlled over the last 15 years, and even back then were not so bad until now.
                  We are unable to see him today, his carer is with him, and as they are doing lots of tests that then is fair enough to come to the bottom of it.

Sorry for the change in the subject folks x

Comment

My thoughts are with you Di. Let us hope that things will look better overnight.

best regards
                    Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                      Hiya Landy honey

Thiking of you XX

Unfortunately my brother who I mentioned on here last night have been rushed into hospital, due to massive epileptic fits, they have been controlled over the last 15 years, and even back then were not so bad until now.
                      We are unable to see him today, his carer is with him, and as they are doing lots of tests that then is fair enough to come to the bottom of it.

Thanks Di.............and very sorry to hear about your brother. Best wishes to you both xxx

Comment

Thinking of you and your brother too Di
                        "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                          Hiya Landy honey

Thiking of you XX

You are all so very very brave, a church friend of mine has now got this dreadful illness,sometimes his memory is better than mine but other times he is really not there bless him,mind you he is 84, he is very good with the younger church members but tires very easily, keep your chins up all of you you are very brave for your loved ones,take care

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14138884

Painkillers 'may ease agitation' in dementia patients.

Many dementia patients being prescribed "chemical cosh" antipsychotic drugs could be better treated with simple painkillers, research says.
                            The British and Norwegian study, published on the BMJ website, found painkillers significantly cut agitation in dementia patients.
                            Agitation, a common dementia symptom, is often treated with antipsychotic drugs, which have risky side effects.

The Alzheimer's Society wants doctors to consider other types of treatment.
                            Experts say that each year about 150,000 patients in the UK are unnecessarily prescribed antipsychotics, which have a powerful sedative effect, and can worsen dementia symptoms, and increase the risk of stroke or even death.
                            They are often given to patients whose dementia makes them aggressive or agitated.
                            But researchers from Kings College, London, and Norway speculated that the behaviour may sometimes be caused by pain, which patients were unable to express in other ways.
                            They studied 352 patients with moderate or severe dementia in nursing homes in Norway.

Half were given painkillers with every meal, the rest continued with their usual treatments.

More on the link above.

Comment

Hi everyone - many thanks again for all your comments.

Pompeyfaith - My Aunt lives a long way away from me & the Doctor will not talk to me about her. I've had words with the Sol as she may be able to get more info.

Garlock - I agree with every word. I've always thought that anyone who wants to stand for Parliament should have to 1) Work in a care home for at least six months and 2) Live on benefits again for at least six months. Let see how they cope on job seekers allowance or any of the other 'generous benefits'.

I have no objection to anyone hijacking this thread, it really makes you aware that there is always someone that has more problems than you do.

Update on My Aunt. At present the care home are threatening to evict her & sue for the outstanding fees which are not paid. Needless to say I cannot really put here what I've said to them & Social Services! Is it really a coincidence that their initials are SS??

Will keep you all posted on further fun. best wishes, RL

Comment

Working...
                              X