GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Son and elderly father - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Son and elderly father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Son and elderly father

But I'm now out of gin
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sorry for your loss, Cym - Your memories will last forever

Comment

I understand you live in Wales hon, if I'm anywhere near you, and if you need me I can try to help all I can xx

Comment

So sorry to hear about your Dad Cym.

Love and hugs
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
            I understand you live in Wales hon, if I'm anywhere near you, and if you need me I can try to help all I can xx
            Thank you for the offer but we were both in exile but proud of our heritage! Dad didn't learn English till he was 11.

Comment

So sorry, Cym to read your news, Hugs to you, be good to yourself, cry all you want, smiles will come back, love endures, hearts overcome, and right now, break any rules you damn well want to. xxx

Comment

Who is going to buy my turkey next christmas? Another stupid thought that has set me off! Dad a
                Ways bought it and the crackers.

Heard from son, been having a few bad days in Ibiza, spending more than he is earning and rubbish accommodation. At least he has a new mobile so we can contact him, but still hasn 't stoppedjone, been to the police or contacted the insurance company

Comment

Son on his way home; his travel insurance did not over mobile phones( thank you OH for checking the policy), luckily my contents insurance did. We had to pay for the flight.
                  Thank you my favourite saint!

Everything is progressing with dad but I feel sh*t. Today I have registered death, cleared loads of clothes, cancelled utilities and arranged for a skip.
                  All OH can do is criticise sister, who can be a madam and a b**tch as she has never forgiven me for having children who my parents doted on. I am sitting on my own watching the football with my puppy and drinking a g+ t which mum would have endorsed. I should be phoning dad and discussing how poor the game is......I think OH thinks it is his father because he is giving no b sympathy at all.

I am wallowing again and feel b. awful, maybe I should have eaten more food!

Sorry folks but at least no one can see me or knows who I am
                  Last edited by cymruambyth; 19 June 2012, 20:23.

Comment

Cym this is perfectly normal you are grieving and you are allowed. Mr D was more upset when the dog died than he was about his Gran - men are strange - you know this.
                    Have a good cry and a big G&T and go to your bed, you just need to get through this week.

PS I wouldn't be too hasty chucking things away, do the paperwork by all means, but don't go filling that skip just yet. Memories live in stange places.

Comment

Hi Cym
                      We are indeed very strange creatures.
                      When my Dad dies I was very organised and wrote lists and did things, it was only later, in fact much later that I went a bit. Over a year later and I still haven't cried but I do wish the daft old bastard was here (although he would never have been able to cope with what I am going through)

As ELP says, do not be too hasty to throw things out. For example Mum saved a lot of his clothes which now I can wear, shoes trousers etc and I know he would have liked that . There are silly things that could easily have been skipped but they mean something very specific.
                      Enjoy your Gin but not too much as it makes you even more depressed (do as I say not as I do)
                      Thinking of you

Comment

Mmmmmthe skip, that is sister. I'm busily phoning places as dad was respected and very high in his profession and has enough papers to fill a skip. As an historian it seems wrong to destroy over 40 years of paperwork and am waiting for phone calls from professors. As dear sister says, they had better phone before Thursday when the skip arrives. I know everything is online but.....
                        As posted earlier, dear sister seems to want everything cleared. I wrote the ob last night and she just wanted the two of us mentioned, with no reference to 4 sons, so I amended it to say and family!

Comment

Yes, throwing things out ..... After mum died suddenly we had cleared her stuff within days, I'm still convinced that I lost out to little sis who offered to take all the bits of jewellery ........

As for gin is called mother's ruin and I am a mother
                          Last edited by cymruambyth; 19 June 2012, 21:16.

Comment

well just watch what goes in the skip, once it's gone it's gone

Comment

I know! Just because I am big sis doesn't mean I win! after mum died little sis said that she was now head of the family, so dad sat me in mum's chair at the Xmas dinner table. That was the last time that they joined us all for Xmas! She has had a falling out with one of my sons and even though she knew it was probably dad's last Xmas we didn't see her or her husband. She is disappointed that this son has returned home for his grandfather's funeral.

Comment

Families eh

Just stand your ground, you sound like a strong woman so don't let your little sis boss you around (although mine is a right bossy cow who I love dearly)

Comment

Working...
                                X