GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Redundancy? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redundancy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy?

This is not me - but question for friend of a friend.

They work in a small beauty shop, and there are two shops in different locations. The owner has decided to close the one shop - but claims the staff are not entitled to redundancy.

They have been there over two years, have not been offered the opportunity to move (other shop fully staffed anyway), and the business as such is not closing or going into liquidation.

My understanding is that the staff are entitled to redundancy pay as this is effectively what is happening. Is this correct?
    Last edited by oscar; 18 January 2012, 16:52.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Redundancy?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...cy/DG_10029836
    This may help....
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Also a call to ACAS is usually a good move. Telling the employer that they are being involved normally brings some reason the situation. Undet he reduncay legislation as well the employer for a year must offer alternative employment in the business if one of the other employees leaves. the othet thing if they are feeling just a bit nasty about it is to investigate whether the business is/was actually two businesses and what is the real situation behind the closure of one shop. The Revenue might want to be informed as two sets of books for essentially the same business is frowned ( by just a bit) by the officers of the Revenue and could trigger an "in depth" investigation into the employer's affairs. Seen it done mate and it is not pleasant.

regards
      Garlok

Comment

You don't make people redundant, its the jobs, so in this case it looks pretty obvious that their jobs are going to disappear as the location is disappearing. He's at it! Tell em to phone ACAS and they will start the grievance procedure with them, unfortunately its a long process if it has to go to tribunel.

Comment

I hope you are being a good girl FP and abiding by the IR35 rubbish l l

regards
          Garlok

Comment

Thanks all - to the first couple, there was an error in the post - now reads NOT closing! lol

My opinion was that the employer was pulling a fast one.

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
              if they are feeling just a bit nasty about it is to investigate whether the business is/was actually two businesses and what is the real situation behind the closure of one shop. The Revenue might want to be informed as two sets of books for essentially the same business is frowned Garlok
              I think its two small salons, and one has a much bigger clientel than the other. One makes money, one breaks even or a small profit - think employer is looking on the latter shop as not really worth the hassle

Comment

Tut Tut FP l

regards
                Garlok

Comment

Working...
                X