GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Daughters Employer Doesn't Give Holiday Pay - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daughters Employer Doesn't Give Holiday Pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Daughters Employer Doesn't Give Holiday Pay

With regards to the Employers National Insurance contributions, these do appear on my daughters payslips.

As far as my daughter is aware, each week on a Tuesday the hours each member has worked are telephoned through to the accountant who then sends the payslips which is usually on the Thursday and the Employers then make the wages up for the Friday.

As far as we are aware none of the workers pay tax as they never work enough hours and fall exempt due to also being paid the NMW.

I have had another thought. Next week my daughter will turn 21, maybe there is a reason we don't know about due to her change of age which could have caused them also to want rid of her. Possibly that may mean nothing at all but because the whole thing stink I am now questioning everything that has been said by them.

With regards to them supposedly sorting out the holiday pay issue, how long do you think a reasonable amount of time for them to do this?

Comment

With regards to them supposedly sorting out the holiday pay issue, how long do you think a reasonable amount of time for them to do this?
      7 days and certainly in the next pay packet.

Comment

Originally posted by CherryCup View Post
        Hi Garlok,

You may possibly answered some of the things my brotherinlaw was thinking about last night.
        Garlok seems to have the gift of second sight - he always predicts what people are going to think! There again, I think the name Garlok sounds a bit like a wizard - might explain it!

Comment

Hi CC

I am glad that you have started to think about this more clearly. Firstly what will appear on your daughter's payslips will be the EMPLOYEE's NI contributions. It is most unusual for the employers element calculated at an extra 13.8% of gross earnings before tax to be shown on an employees payslip. I can't remember the exact figures without looking them up but I think you will find that the element shown will come out at 12% of gross earnings. In total NI contributions total 25.8% of gross earnings before tax.

I have just managed to take some professional accountancy advice on this for you and direct from the Revenue website your daughter in the tax year 2010-2011 will have to earn between £97 per week (lower limit) and £844 per week (upper limit) to fall into the NI contribution requirement. The figures for 2011-2012 Tax year are £102 to £817 per week. If I do my calcs based on your posts so far it would appear that any contribution taken from your daughters salary needs to be checked against her gross earnings on a weekly basis. Something is not right here.

Secondly, you need to get some terminology correct in your mind here. No one is exempt from tax in the UK despite being on minimum wage. Your daughter is still liable for tax and could be asked to fill in a self assessement tax return at any time. The reality is that she has not reached the limit of her tax allowances and therefore her liability for tax may be zero to be paid. Her tax code should appear on the payslip and that can be converted into a figure that she can earn before becoming liable for income tax.

There is definitely the heady aroma of stale fish about this lot.

Ask who the acountant is and what their qualifications are to do the job. If, and they should be, they are a member (even part qualified) of any of the professional accountancy institutions then they can be removed from that institution and be left with no qualifications for any irregularity in their accounting methods.

In addition to all of the above suspect accountancy pratices I think I would be moving along the lines of constuctive dismissal on a number of grounds.

regards
          Garlok

Comment

No Casp, I don't always get things right. Just look at the mess we got into and still are in to a great extent. I have just had to fight seemingly all my life against injustice, lies, deceit and intolerance. Those lessons have been seared into my very soul. So now I am the intolerant one very much so of the things just listed.

Very profound I know but the truth nevertheless.

regards
            Garlok

Comment

I have today spoken to EHRC (thanks to Elevenssdopey). They say that it would be discrimination for implying my daughter in now incompetent due to her pregnancy. However due to the complexity of it all, the dismissal, holiday pay and more so no contract, the man was not sure if we could apply for an Employment Tribunal as there is no contract.
              This is patently nonsense, as there plainly is an employment contract even if it is only verbal or implied.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                Google Morrow v Safeway Stores plc [2002] IRLR 9
                Did you mean Morrow v. Safeway Stores Plc [2001] UKEAT 0275_00_2109 (21 September 2001)?

BAILII link here.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                  Did you mean Morrow v. Safeway Stores Plc [2001] UKEAT 0275_00_2109 (21 September 2001)?

BAILII link here.
                  Possibly, but this from Old Square Chambers quotes [2002] IRLR 9
                  http://www.oldsquare.co.uk/ca/cases/1/?c=1200235

Still, we're in the right area.

Another thought - even if there is no written contract, there should, by law, be a written statement of particulars of employment within 2 months of starting the job (a 'welcome' letter or similar could suffice, as long as it had the appropriate content)

Comment

Most small town pubs DON"t do this they dont issue welcome packs etc. .. but pay slips would show your in employment.

Comment

• Re: Daughters Employer Doesn't Give Holiday Pay

Hi all

Yet again thank you for all your on-going help.

My daughter is not feeling to good today, I feel as I have had the stuffing knocked out of me also.

Here is one bit of news.

My hubby went to pick up my daughters wages. After the landlord gave them to him he said that our daughter should be getting a big cheque possibly it should be ready to collect on Tuesday. This is her holiday pay for the last four years!!
                      He said of course tax and NI will be deducted. This will mean so much to my daughter.

What my husband couldn't quite understand as he was almost out the door when the landlord whispered to him, they have taken legal advice and they don't have a leg to stand on. As hubby has slight hearing problem and it was a whisper he now wonders if he actually said don't let my daughter try for anything else as she wont have a leg to stand on.

Anyway this is one small victory for my daughter.

When hubby collect the cheque next week, perhaps whatever was said will be mentioned again.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

I think any response to your last post CC would be straw clutching - it could mean absolutly anything - especially if your hubby mis-heard. It could simple be that they have found they have to pay holiday pay. Sure you can appreciate there COULD be many alternatives given what has happened over the last few weeks / months.

I think it is best to wait and see what happens next week.
                        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi CC,

Been out most of the day and just got in. Oscar is probably right at the minute. Patience in legal matters is a requirement. Difficult and frustrating I know.

See what Tuesday brings by way of a cheque. I would have thought that their accountant is the advice they have had and he/she has told them to get the holiday pay sorted as it may blow up in their faces along wiht all the other stuff I have quoted to you. Now they have said that they will be stopping NI and Tax on the amount owing. Be careful and look carefully. For simplicity they will probably pay this and calculate on the basis of this payment being in one week's earnings. For the moment get the thing cashed is my advice and then approach the Revenue, there will be a reference number for THEM on any payslip or advice note that deducts taxes etc. that will get you (eventually) to the tax office which handles their affairs.

As this is holiday pay you say for the last four years it is likely that spread over that time your daughter depending on her code number will not be liable to pay that tax and she can claim a refund for that overpayment. Do not be afraid of the Tax people they will help enormously if you approach them in a proper way but it will be your daughter who will have to deal with this. The Revenue are very very unlikely to deal with you or your husband regardless of your daughter's condition.

You can claim in fact seven years back so the four in question should not be a problem. A little bit more effort on her part could net her a bit more money.

Good to hear that things are moving at least in the right direction. By the way sign NOTHING other than a simpe basic receipt for the cheque and the cheque alone and get it cleared asap.

regards
                          Garlok

Comment

My hubby went to pick up my daughters wages. After the landlord gave them to him he said that our daughter should be getting a big cheque possibly it should be ready to collect on Tuesday. This is her holiday pay for the last four years!!
                            He said of course tax and NI will be deducted. This will mean so much to my daughter.

What my husband couldn't quite understand as he was almost out the door when the landlord whispered to him, they have taken legal advice and they don't have a leg to stand on. As hubby has slight hearing problem and it was a whisper he now wonders if he actually said don't let my daughter try for anything else as she wont have a leg to stand on.
                            Eh?

What was that - they also discriminate against someone with no leg on which to stand?

Disgraceful!

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
                              See what Tuesday brings by way of a cheque. I would have thought that their accountant is the advice they have had and he/she has told them to get the holiday pay sorted as it may blow up in their faces along wiht all the other stuff I have quoted to you. Now they have said that they will be stopping NI and Tax on the amount owing. Be careful and look carefully. For simplicity they will probably pay this and calculate on the basis of this payment being in one week's earnings. For the moment get the thing cashed is my advice and then approach the Revenue, there will be a reference number for THEM on any payslip or advice note that deducts taxes etc. that will get you (eventually) to the tax office which handles their affairs.
                              It may also be worthwhile checking with the Department of Workshy Pensioners [1] to ensure that her NI contributions - both from her wages and from her employers - are correct. If they've underpaid her contributions, they're likely to have done that with everyone else.

Good to hear that things are moving at least in the right direction. By the way sign NOTHING other than a simpe basic receipt for the cheque and the cheque alone and get it cleared asap.
                              And certainly before checking with the Department of Worthless Prostitutes [1] lest the cheque bounces.

[1] Can you devise a better backronym for DWP?

Comment

Let's make sure they actually are paying their deductions.. I used to do work for a local pup and I found out she used to use the govt's calculator for deductions do a screen print that would be my wage slip... Later I found out she never submitted any taxs or NI!

Comment

Working...
                                X