GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How to get free wi-fi access - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get free wi-fi access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get free wi-fi access

How to get free wi-fi access

Many people can log online via wi-fi for free.

With fewer mobile phone providers offering unlimited internet usage deals, exceeding your download limit by emailing, social networking and downloading music and pictures on your mobile can be costly.
    WHAT IS WI-FI BROADBAND?

Techno experts reckon that one reason why so few of us make the most of our unlimited access, is because we confuse Wi-Fi broadband with wireless broadband. For instance, wireless broadband refers to the use of a wireless router within the home to allow you to connect wirelessly without a cable.

On the other hand, Wi-Fi broadband access refers to broadband access available via wireless hot spots outside the home, for instance in a coffee shop or on a train. Wi-Fi broadband operates on the same principle as your wireless router at home.

Wi-Fi broadband on the move is often faster and more reliable than a 3G broadband connection picked up on your mobile phone or via a dongle. In addition, there are no problems with restricted data download limits, as is the case with 3G broadband.

HOW WILL THIS SAVE ME MONEY ON MY MOBILE PHONE BILL?

More mobile phone providers have started charging for data usage, so switching to a broadband connection at a Wi-Fi hot spot will mean that you do not exceed your data limit and can save you money on your monthly mobile phone bills.

I AM A BT CUSTOMER, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO ME?

As part of their annual contract, nearly six million BT home broadband customers have free access to more than three million BT Wi-Fi hot spots away from home which can be used with a smartphone, iPad or laptop.
    This includes both BT FON hot spots provided by other customers who are part of the BT FON community, and BT Openzone hot spots at places such as Starbucks, Hilton hotels and Heineken pubs.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BT Openzone and BT FON?

For the users, nothing because in essence they still offer Wi-Fi access. BT's Openzone is a Wi-Fi service that can be accessed in public places supported by the retail partners. While BT FON is more wide ranging as it is a rapidly expanding Wi-Fi community of BT customers who take their broadband with them and share their access securely with other BT FON members. Ernest Doku, mobile expert at uSwitch.com, said: "The BT FON service allows BT Broadband and Infinity customers to offer up a slice of their own Wi-Fi service to other BT customers to use when in range, in essence creating a wireless network across the world that other members are freely able to access simply by logging in."
    BUT I AM NOT A BT CUSTOMER, WHERE DOES THAT LEAVE ME?

When it comes to broadband outside the home, BT leads the way with more than three million BT Wi-Fi hot spots. However, O2 home broadband customers who are also O2 mobile phone customers can benefit from free access to the BT Openzone Wi-Fi hot spots, plus a further 5,000 hot spots provided by The Cloud – making a total of nearly 10,000 hot spots. Orange pay-monthly mobile customers who take out Orange home broadband and calls also receive inclusive Wi-Fi hot spot access at over 200,000 UK locations. However, bear in mind that some offer free access while others will require a subscription.
    WILL THIS AFFECT MY HOME BROADBAND DOWNLOAD LIMIT?

Strictly speaking customers who use their free Wi-Fi minutes will avoid problems with download allowance on their mobile phone bills, some broadband will have the usage capped, so it is worth keeping this in mind. A download allowance refers to how much of the internet you are allowed to use without being charged extra. Your internet service provider will set a download limit for the package you are on, and if you go over that you are charged, usually per GB per month. However, this does not apply if you are on a free and unlimited data package. Mike Wilson, manager of broadband at Moneysupermarket.com, said: "For lower users, the ability to access the internet away from the home will be an added convenience and may not result in them using up too much data.
    "However, heavier users may risk surpassing their monthly usage caps. Be aware that some broadband providers will have limits in place to ensure you don't end up paying an additional fee or risk getting your access throttled."
    HOW DO I FIND A HOT SPOT?

To recognise a BT Openzone Wi-Fi hot spot, look for the BT Openzone sign or start your smartphone, iPad or laptop to view available wireless networks to check if you are in range.
    HOW DO I ACCESS ONCE I HAVE FOUND A HOT SPOT?

You will be prompted for a password that was provided to you when you registered for your home broadband. To access BT Openzone, BT Total Broadband customers with an iPhone or Android device can download a free application that gives easy mobile access to free and unlimited Wi-Fi and includes a mapping service which is updated weekly so that customers can find their nearest hot spot. To become a part of the BT FON community, customers must set themselves up by registering their home hub, which will generate a username and password. However, customers who signed up for BT Total Broadband and BT Infinity contract after March 2009 need not to do anything as they will have been automatically opted in to the BT FON community.
    IS IT SECURE?

As with all internet activity, anyone using a Wi-Fi hot spot should make sure to look for the locked padlock symbol before entering login or other personal details. This symbol should appear at the bottom right-hand side of the web page you have accessed, or in the address bar. If it isn't there, think twice before using the page you have called up and beware of entering any confidential data. Also ensure you only visit sites that begin with "https" when entering confidential information.

BT customers are also advised to consider the free BT Openzone virtual private network (VPN) download, which creates a secure link between devices and the hotspot. Customers can download this at www.btopenzone.com/help/security.

Source: How to get free wi-fi access - Telegraph
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.
Working...
X