GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Default on Barclaycard - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Default on Barclaycard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default on Barclaycard

Hi all, I really need some help and advice.

I have a 5,5k Credit Card debt with Barclaycard. I am really struggling to keep up payments and my APR is very expensive. It’s nearly all interest I pay back.

I am wondering what would happen if I couldn’t continue to pay?

I have have already missed two payments.

I would pay pay it back if it was more manageable and it was not all interest.

I am living abroad and have done for some years now. I have no other debt or assets in the UK now.
    I am British though and will want to come home one day.

what would happen if I defaulted on my payments?

any help greatly received

Mrs Smithy

When did you take the card out? Have you sent off a CCA request? Have you received a default notice (ideally you want to get this as interest will stop once you get this, but I think its normally after three missed payments).

Comment

I took it out in 1999, I think. They sent me a credit offer when I was a student and I was stupid enough to take it.

I haven’t requested a CCA. I don’t know much about them.

I have paid the minimum amount for years, then a few years back sold my car and paid the whole thing off. I ran the debt back up again during a very difficult time though.

Comment

Oh and not received a default message. Missed Dec and Jan payments now.

Comment

Comment

Comment

do you intend to return to the UK?
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yes I intend to return home but not sure when.

excuse my repeated posts - I need to maybe not use my phone to post

Comment

Hi, you say you are not in the uk, do Barclays have your address where you are now? or do you have a po box / mail forwarding. how do they contact you? who do you bank with ?

There are a few avenues open to you,

!, just don't pay it, unless you have a bank account with them, they have a right of off set and can take what you owe from your account. they will register a default with the Credit reference agency's, it will stay on your file for 6 years (5 in Scotland) so if you return in that time you may have difficulty getting credit or opening bank accounts.
                  2. don't pay it, you are not in the UK, if they don't have an address to write to you they cannot find you, credit file will be marked as "gone away"
                  3. Don't pay it, It is not a criminal offence to be in debt, you will not be arrested at customs when you re=enter the UK.

there are many people who have moved abroad and have stopped paying debts in the UK. the debts have been passed/ sold on to Debt collection agency's who, if there is no UK address cannot issue court proceedings,

good luck NW x
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                  X