GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script What small things are you going to do today to help you get debt free - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What small things are you going to do today to help you get debt free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What small things are you going to do today to help you get debt free

Originally posted by Angelic View Post
    All the best people are left handed
    All the best people can use both hands.

Comment

Hi Casp,

Just wanted to refer back to your post No 26 on here. Concerns "Christians Against Poverty". I listened with interest to Aled Jones on "Good Morning Sunday" today. His guest was the founder of C.A.P. one John Kirkby I believe.

Not one mention of the fees or obligations a debtor will have to them, not one mention or criticism of the unlawful practices of the debt/lending sector, not one mention of unlawful agreements or how to deal with debts which are unlawful. In many ways just a personal glorification of the marathon running he is going to do feed his own ego and a pushing of the mantra so prevalent on another pro creditor unmentionable forum. Not one mention of the forums such as this where we really do give voluntarily of our time and knowledge to truly help others through the dark times.

The BBC need to hang their heads in shame over this quite disgraceful interview and blatant advertising and glorification to boost just one man's ego. Terrible!

regards
      Garlok
      Last edited by garlok; 10 July 2011, 09:20.

Comment

I didn't, personally, have a happy or positive experience with the CAP.

About 18 months ago I was seriously thinking about going bankrupt and as an alternative soneone suggested a DMP with the CAP. Bearing in mind, family of 4, 2 very young kids, doing our best to survive and hold down jobs whole in the throes of our second financial meltdown in 5 years, ostensibly caused by the financial turmoil of 9 months' unemployment earlier in that year, which had destroyed our capital.

'Phoned CAP and was told that although we were outside of one of their catchment areas, they were sure they could help if we drove to their centre in the nearest town. We were more than happy to come to them and didn't expect any home visits or 'owt.

When I 'phoned again on the first telephone interview date with the CAP advisor, he told us he wouldn't take us on because we lived 2 miles outside of their catchment zone for clients. No negitiation possible, we were just outside, so sorry.

We repeated our offer to drive to him. Refused; strict line taken on the catchment area for CAP centres.

We then 'phoned the CAP central switchboard who told us they could be flexible and would look into helping us, because 2 miles either way should be no impediment. Glimmer of hope. But when we rang back the answer was a flat big fat "no." We were not in the geographical zone and even an inch outside it and they would not assist, whether we were prepared to drive to them or not. They were massively oversubscribed with similar families desperate for help.

Eventually we pulled out of the nosedive financially and are in recovery now. However, our view of the CAP is pretty low and we did not feel they were particularly Christian in their approach to us.

Just a personal experience and they had no obligation to help us. I readily accept that. Its just that when you read the CAP book and hear the spiel about how they will never turn away folk, it left us bitterly disapointed in them and dubious about their true philosophy.
        Last edited by The Debt Star; 10 July 2011, 09:57.

Comment

Sorry to hear that DS. But it is a very sad fact so called self professed Christians have totally forgotten the ethos they claim to live by. The most dedicated and deep believer I know FLATLY and I mean FLATLY refuses to have anyhting at all to do with organised "Christian" churches or organisations. He and his wife are very interesting to talk to whatever your own beliefs and are very enlightening on the subject.

regards
          Garlok

Comment

I used to go to church every sunday, attended bible study class, the whole caboodle,
            I then got a job in the caring profession and had to work almost every weekend, instead of understanding i didnot have time to attend, as my children were more important, I was ignored buy my so called friends, for putting my family and job, first, before the church,
            I am now a social attender, weddings, christenings, funerals,
            I do nt need to attend a church to prove to anyone that i am kind, caring, and giving.
            every one belives in something,
            what they belive is something else
            may your belief stay with you all
            what ever your problems big, or small

NW x
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Excellent Post nightwatch Thank you.

regards
              Garlok

Comment

I second that nightwatch
                Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I don't think you should assciate CAP with the Church, Garlok, as I would imagine it is a non-denominational organisation and is not, and has nothing to do with, organised worship. CAP is a debt management charity, run along the lines of a business presumably like the C of E. Even if it isn't, what undermined CAP's cred for me, personally, was the dichotomy between the book written by its founders and the rejection we experienced when we turned to CAP for help.

I would never suggest that CAP's failings are a reflection on the Church, which as you well know does a great deal of good in the world in the way of charity and assistance to the poorest in the world.

However, I must reiterate that while CAP is under no obligation to help anyone, what galls is the hope and expectations that arise when you first read John Kirkby's Nevertheless book and THEN get told that because you're 2 miles outside of their catchment zone you won't be helped.

It is just that it came as a shock to us that CAP chose not to help because we happened to come from a village with no CAP centre of its own, for the reasons stated.
                  Last edited by The Debt Star; 10 July 2011, 17:27.

Comment

Sorry DS, CAPs failings are a reflection on the Church as a whole. Its very title "Christians Against Poverty" tells that it is an organisation associating itself with Christianity or are you now saying that the Church has nothing to do with Christianity?

And personally as an ex free church man and proud of it is that all of these organisations including all of the charities and churches have very little to do with Christianity.

Please let me remind of the quotation:-

"where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them"

Hence "Church" and "Christian Organisations" have very little to do with Christianity or its real ethics and that is the reason they are empty as hypocrisy has no place in the Christian ethic.

regards
                    Garlok
                    Last edited by garlok; 10 July 2011, 17:35.

Comment

Organisations made up by, run by Christians, are not necessarily "churches" Garlok. For all I know CAP is made up of people who are of different and varied denominatiional beliefs and indeed, CAP may well employ and be made up of non-Christian staff and volunteers. Dunno. Don't care. I found them to be less then helpful as you know, so I'm not in the business of defending CAP. I'm just saying that any criticism I have of CAP is not a criticism of Christianity and the Church. That's my own view and I won't be shifted from it, regardless of how let down we were by CAP, it is not intended nor should be construed as an attack on the Church. Its a criticism of CAP whom I had hoped would live up to the expectations raised in Kirkby's Nevertheless.

Also, I'm not gonna get into an argument over this 'cos I have my views and reckon that the Church does more good than harm. So I won't be responding again on this partcular issue. My aim in posting here was to comment on CAP's failings in my case and that is the sort of reporting that consumer help / debt help forums need to see and comment on.
                      Last edited by The Debt Star; 10 July 2011, 19:13.

Comment

Did I say they were Churches DS, NO NO NO I did not! Read properly what actually said for goodness sake!!!!

regards
                        Garlok

Comment

Dept Star
                          In my opinion,
                          christian' churches'need little defending by people like yourself,or others
                          I can understand how let down you feelby this orginisation,
                          christian belief states an understanding of basic rights of people,to live their lives in a free and clear right,of Gods forgiveness
                          Ie you have or know you have done something that is regarded as wrong,
                          you ask to be forgiven or pardened for this wrong
                          if you belive, God can forgive you, that is your right,and you can be forgiven
                          for 'christians' to say they can help 'and then say they cannot because you are 1 inch out of their area is not what I consider to be in 'the christian sprit'
                          all are equal in Gods eyes, so all are intitled to the help that is available, weather 1inch or 1 hundred miles apart, for me to be a christian is to know no bounderies of miles,colour, creed,or religion
                          I am C of E. my Hubby is R,C our children are C of E none of them attend any church as they find them hypocritical of the leadings of the bible,
                          again I say follow what you belive.BUT be sure what you follow you can trust in and belive .
                          CAP is mainly Christians against poverty so the title is the giveaway
                          in my opinion a true christian shows no judgement .
                          if in need help should be given
                          but, that may be my downfall as a soft spot to try and help others.
                          I wish you well
                          NWxx

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
                            Did I say they were Churches DS, NO NO NO I did not! Read properly what actually said for goodness sake!!!!

regards
                            Garlok
                            I'm not going to bother engaging with your petulance mate. You seem to make a habit of pissing off people.

Comment

Healthy discussions, differing opinions and a bit of banter is fine; let's not fall out or get personal guys!

Lets take "religion" off the menu, and continue with this thread in a friendly manner please lovely people

Remember, we are all here for the same reason - so we have that in common, at least x
                              If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Its perfectly OK for people to piss me off and throw their rattles out prams like yourself DS but we get crap back when people are being guided back on to the right path. When it gets tough they come bleating on here that things have gone wrong for them when it is their own pre emptive actions that have led them into further do-do than was necessary in the first place. Which I seem to remember very recently was your own reaction when faced with the reality of your own actions despite the fact thayt several of us were trying to find a solution and a way forward tailored to your specific needs..

So far I have encountered several people who are incapable of reading what is in front of them. And if you are making reference to caspar in your unwaranted attack on me then I suggest that you seek out the real TRUTH OF THAT SITUATION, before passing the puerile comments you have.

Garlok

Comment

Working...
                                X