GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script diddlys mums washing machine... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

diddlys mums washing machine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: diddlys mums washing machine...

Engineer is coming Monday (their own warranty guy), so we will be in full receipt of the "facts" as they say, but whatever the outcome, no washing machine is sold EVER on the basis of "if you are lucky it will last you two years" - if it were, no bugger would buy one!

Any input welcomed, note that they are completely ignoring EU directives...
    If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Update: 10/10/12 - email sent

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAO: Mr Mark Walder, Customer Service Manager
      FAO: Mr Michael Scothern, Company Director

I refer to our previous correspondence.

As previously requested, please now find attached a copy of the engineers report and invoice.

As you will see from the attached, the fault which caused the breakdown of the machine was the PCB (on the attached shown as "Module Arcadia".)

The engineer commented that the part at fault shows no sign of wear, damage or "blowing" and that it has simply stopped working for no obvious reason. Certainly this cannot be blamed on user error or misuse.

Therefore with this in mind, it is apparent that a respected brand washing machine, with less than average use and less than two years old should NOT have broken down, and that the fault must have been inherent at time of manufacture/sale.

I therefore look to you as a well known, respected retailer, one who would benefit greatly from offering exception customer service and one who would abide by the law (SOGA) and EU directives to refund to me, by return, the cost of the labour charge as shown on the attached - £104.99.

Should you still feel that your position remains unchanged despite the above, then I shall have no option but to take this matter further.

I anticipate your reply within 48 hours of receipt of this email.

sigpic

Comment

Update: 11/10/12 - reply received

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Morning,

Thank you for your email,

Unfortunately we are unable to take this matter any further as you have not supplied us with the information we requested. We need the engineers report stating your product had a latent or inherent fault at time of manufacture. As we don't disbelieve what the engineer has told you, we do require this in writing from the engineer and that he agrees the parts were faulty at time of manufacture.

At this moment in time our position remains unchanged. If you can provide us with the information requested we will uphold what we promised to do in our previous correspondence.

King regards, (yes, they wrote "king regards")

Electrical Discount UK
        Customer Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any input welcomed...

I am considering bring Hotpoint into the conversation to see what they have to say on the matter. Does anyone have contacts for Hotpoint, please?

I am prepared for small claims court (I would pay for this on mums behalf) if necessary.

Engineers comments are one thing, but he wouldn't write it on the report, probably because he is aware that what he says is one thing, but what he writes is binding! We have kept the part, so can prove without doubt that it has no signs of damage, if that matters.
        Last edited by diddlydee; 11 October 2012, 15:25.

sigpic

Comment

These things are never easy sorry that I can't help.............
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Is there not a E.U. directive regarding electrical appliances and reference to 6 years??
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

EU Directive, yes. 2 years from purchase for all products in EU. However, it is a Directive, so I presume it isn't actually a law, more a guide? Not sure if it has been tested in court, but I'd try!

sigpic

Comment

In the Guardian 25th march 2006 6years from the date of purchase.

Which? - formerly the Consumers Association - says consumers should argue strongly with retailers when a product breaks down within six years. The Sale of Goods Act doesn't define how long specific products should last, because different products have different life spans. But a survey by Which? of manufacturers into how long they believe different types of appliance should last made interesting reading. All of them said their goods should last five years or more.

March 2006
                Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 11 October 2012, 16:10.

Comment

truth is that retailers may be liable for up to six years.

Consumer experts say retailers are exploiting ambiguous legislation to wriggle out of their responsibilities. Ministers, however, claim the law is quite clear. The Sale of Goods Act offers protection against faulty goods even when the manufacturer's guarantee has run out. The act says goods must last a reasonable time - and that can be anything up to six years from the date of purchase.

Comment

Thanks for your comments. I know that SOGA exists, I am also aware that the retailer is shirking, hence I would go to court if necessary. But it would be easier if I didn't have to.

Despite my emails (several) to the retailer, they seem to want to ignore my reasonable request for a refund of the labour charge. I can't physically make them pay up at this moment, but will continue to fight until I have justice!

sigpic

Comment

Right, So why can't you get the engineer to write what you need? surely this was THEIR engineer right so he knows what they need - maybe I missed something.

This isn't right and im sure the company is just trying it on.

Comment

I don't know anything about the legalities but you would think that the company would want to avoid bad publicity on a consumer forum...

I don't know how old your mum is but it isn't as if she's been doing lots of family washes.

My washing machine's more then 10 years old and, apart from one replacement part it's still going strong (hope I haven't jinxed it now)...and it was doing family washes for the first few years.

Perhaps I/you could send an email to the local paper with a link to this thread?
                        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Jen, the engineer was from the Hotpoint warranty company. When mum asked if he would write something on the report, he just smiled at her and said that he couldn't do that. In order to get the machine repaired, she had to pay up front for the callout, and I informed her that we would send the report/invoice to the retailer, in the hope that they would see sense. It's only £105 for goodness sake - a lot of money to mum, but naff all to a large electrical distributor!

Pixie, she is in her late sixties, and only uses the machine once a week. There is only two of them, and it ain't like they roll around in fields getting muddy; hence the machine has much less than average use.

I don't suppose Hotpoint would care about local papers; although the retailer might, and I think I'm right in saying you are in the retailers local area?

I also think I'll highlight it to Hotpoint themselves in the meantime... although whether they will care is another matter? These large companies seem to think they can walk all over the consumer. But they think wrong with me; diddly does not sit back and get walked over.

sigpic

Comment

I would be calling... and emailing daily until they just get annoyed and get someone to speak to you. I would also be calling the retailer... daily. I did that with SCS until we got what we wanted.

Comment

Like I had one it broke down 1 day after warranty ran out , 6 calls later to the manufacurer, no joy, never bought their appliances after that, it was a Candy, which I believe is a Hoover trade mark if I remember correctly, my fridge/freezer is a Candy bought same time o.k. though, but never go back to that Brand again.

Comment

Why not explain your whole situation to the actual manufacturer. You know, a manufacturer will be happy to offer free after service support if it keeps a loyal customer happy.

Samsung and Nokia are both leaders in this, as are LG. I had an issue with Samsung long after warranty but as everything electrical we own is Samsung (other than phones) we're good value for money so they fixed for free. They're renowned for it, as are Hotpoint as matter of fact.

Try it, try a polite pleading approach as if it's your mum writing, not you. Add a sob story and just ask if there's anything they can do. You may be surprised.

Make sure it's via letter from your mum to their customer relations dept. found on the sticker on back of appliance
                                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X