GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script AMEX LIMITED v IAN KARL ROBERT BRANDON [2010] - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMEX LIMITED v IAN KARL ROBERT BRANDON [2010]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AMEX LIMITED v IAN KARL ROBERT BRANDON [2010]

Sounds very hopeful.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Just to add whilst at CoA they (Amex) took 2 barristers, a herd of solicitors & a couple of trainees - must have used it as a "training exercise" that went horribly (for them) wrong

Well done Ian and all those that stood by your side, you know who you are.
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Overall a good judgment in my view,

There is no room for prejudice within s87, there is no need for the debtor to suffer prejudice although clearly if the debtor is not given his statement of rights and protections then there will be prejudice to the debtor that the court shall need to weigh up in its judgment.

It confirms the arguments we ran in Harrison were correct surrounding serivce of the notice too

Comment

Masive well done for all those involved in that one, and for once a judge who although he did not like the way the verdict went gave it all the same

Sooo, what (if anything) can Amex do now? if I was in their position and had probably paid a small fortune for barristers and the like I would be keeping quiet, cutting my losses and hoping that forum posts died away after the first excitement and that it would not hit too many newspapers to give people not into forums and internet the idea they may have defective DN's.
          When you have nothing you have nothing to lose

Comment

Yessssssssssssssssssss!!!
            OK...Some quite cutting comments directed at Ian, but all the more sweet a victory, as it gains more credence that the judge wasn't pro debtor, but pro-justice.
            Well done Ian and all involved!!!

The three main points were priceless, the failure to give the statutory time is inarguably NOT de minimis, the date of service is NOT the date of posting and you can't ride two horses with one ass and switch termination clauses mid claim.
            A lot of people will be very happy today. The converse applies too.

Comment

Yes, excellent news, despite the snippy comment at the end from the Judge. .

Paul, will Amex count it's losses and quit, or will they make another attempt to hound Brandon?

BTW, does Brandon get his costs for this?.. or at the very least will Amex have to pay for the Brandon legal team?

Comment

Ok, so imagine I'm 12 years old Can someone please explain in the most simple of terms what this actually means.

For example:

Once upon a time a bloke couldn't pay his bill. Amex got snotty, but the default notice was defective. The bloke therefore didn't have to pay the bill and Amex suffered all of the costs. The bloke lived happily ever after.

The End.

If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
                  Ok, so imagine I'm 12 years old Can someone please explain in the most simple of terms what this actually means.

For example:

Once upon a time a bloke couldn't pay his bill. Amex got snotty, but the default notice was defective. The bloke therefore didn't have to pay the bill and Amex suffered all of the costs. The bloke lived happily ever after.

The End.

See this for a simple explanation Diddles:

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
                  The three main points were priceless, the failure to give the statutory time is inarguably NOT de minimis, the date of service is NOT the date of posting and you can't ride two horses with one ass and switch termination clauses mid claim.
                  A lot of people will be very happy today. The converse applies too.
                  So Amex lost, Brandon won the appeal right so it is now up to Amex what their next move is, ideally they'd be best writing off the debt and paying Ian Brandon to walk away - however you never know....

It would be nuts for Brandon to appeal, or risk trial with this outcome.

So, basically the CoA decided that Amex were wrong in their assessment that a credit card was similar to a bank account and could be recalled at any time - they need to follow the proper rules for default and termination in line with s.87 & s.88 of CCA1974.

Amex felt that they had a right to summary judgment, this was dismissed - they do not.

Amex tried to say a lot really, and also brought into play at the eleventh hour something else; notably contractual termination - as detailed here:
                  These observations do not entail that Mr. Brandon's submission based on Ladd v Marshall was soundly based; the rule in Ladd v Marshall is concerned with the introduction of fresh evidence. The change of case here involved an alternative legal argument; Amex did not seek to adduce any fresh evidence in support of it. It is further beyond dispute that an appeal court has a discretion to admit legal argument supporting the decision under appeal on an alternative legal basis not argued in the court below. The question is whether HHJ Denyer QC's decision to permit the introduction of Amex's contractual termination case on appeal, in the circumstances already outlined, was justified.
                  Quite simply, Amex would be better to walk away - however It's questionable if they will.....
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Molly View Post
                    BTW, does Brandon get his costs for this?.. or at the very least will Amex have to pay for the Brandon legal team?
                    I asked this question as well, will let you know if the person responds and says it can be made public or not.....

Comment

Fabulous, thanks for that Nids

sigpic

Comment

Costs follow the event, that is the general rule and i see no reason why Mr Brandon should not be entitled to his costs, subject to detailed assessment of his bill.

Comment

He was a LiP until the CoA though wasn't he so costs would be reasonable as it'd not include counsel?....

or no?

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                            He was a LiP until the CoA though wasn't he so costs would be reasonable as it'd not include counsel?....

or no?
                            Erm, Reasonable? have ya read R vs Wulfson ??

LIP costs arent always as minimal as people suggest, OTR there is a suggested bill of costs which i laugh at, ive just had a LIP cost exceed 5k plus our costs, so all i can say is AMEX bend over

Comment

Originally posted by Paul. View Post
                              So all i can say is AMEX bend over

* Such a nice way with words mate

Comment

Might we be able to change the symbol which appears on the title of this thread

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X