GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Scam Text Warnings - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scam Text Warnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scam Text Warnings

Spam Text Messaging being debated in Parliament below is from yesterday which I found in Hansard.

Claims Management Companies: Unwanted Text Messages

Question

2.45 pm

Asked By Lord Kennedy of Southwark
    • To ask Her Majesty's Government what action they are taking to ensure that people do not receive unwanted text messages from claims management companies.

5 Nov 2012 : Column 756

The Minister of State, Ministry of Justice (Lord McNally): My Lords, the Government fully support the work of the Information Commissioner's Office in enforcing the legislation that protects individuals from unsolicited text messages. The Ministry of Justice's claims management regulation unit is actively working with the commissioner to investigate individual claims management companies receiving leads or claims as a result of unsolicited text messages, and is taking enforcement action as appropriate.
    Lord Kennedy of Southwark: My Lords, the mis-selling of payment protection insurance was an absolute scandal, but the activities of some claims management companies are also a scandal, with unwanted text messages and phone calls. Does the Minister agree that there is a serious problem with this industry? If so, what are the Government going to do about it?
    Lord McNally: The Government are making sure that there are joined-up investigations, co-operation between the various bodies responsible for various aspects of the industry and carried-through enforcement action. This is feeding through into weeding out the rogue traders and making sure that the consumer has sufficient information to be able to make rational decisions as to whether they use the services offered.
    Baroness Gardner of Parkes: My Lords, is the Minister aware that I have asked Questions several times of both this and the previous Government, not so much about texts but about unsolicited phone calls on exactly the same matter? I have been told that you can go on to a site and put yourself on a list, saying that you do not want to receive things. But, unfortunately, that does not really work. The latest statement that I had from the Government was that if things come through overseas channels or other satellite means, they cannot control it; they can control things only within certain parameters in this country. Is that still the case? I am getting about six phone calls a week and sometimes three or four a day, all offering me wonderful things.
    Lord McNally: I have some sympathy for the point that the noble Baroness makes, because we at home are supposed to be on this blocking mechanism that you sign up for, but the calls still get through. I will investigate the point that she made about whether international calls get round the blocking. I know that Ofcom is very much aware of this problem. I know that it is no use me telling the noble Baroness that she can go on to this register and that Ofcom is on the job and so on, because from the noises around the Room and my own experience, I know that these nuisance calls are still getting through. I will contact Ofcom and write to the noble Baroness with the reply, which I shall put in the Library of the House.
    Lord Campbell-Savours: My Lords, the Information Commissioner has received at least 10,000 complaints every year, but how many prosecutions have there been?

5 Nov 2012 : Column 757

Lord McNally: If the noble Lord means complaints about the rogue calls, I do not know, because this Question is not about the rogue calls. In my letter, I will cover it. On the question of texts, the Information Commissioner has announced that he is preparing to levy some very heavy fines on people who abuse the system with texts. But I will make the question on unasked-for calls part of my inquiry and put the reply in the Library of the House.
    Baroness Butler-Sloss: My Lords, would the Minister add e-mails? I get an enormous number of e-mails every day, generally about PPI but about a whole lot of other things, too. They all seem to be done at about three in the morning. E-mails are just as serious; I spend such a lot of time just deleting all these e-mails on a daily basis. Would the Minister add e-mails to texts and phone calls? I also get the texts and the phone calls.
    Lord McNally: I agree; I know what absolute anger this matter causes. It sometimes raises a groan when Ministers announce the following, but a cross-industry working group has been set up led by the Direct Marketing Association and including the MoJ's claims management regulator, the ICO, Ofcom, the Telephone Preference Service, the OFT and the Advertising Standards Authority. They are looking across the piece at what is undoubtedly a nuisance.
    Baroness Scott of Needham Market: My Lords, I am sure the House is reassured to know that it takes so many people not to be able to do anything about this problem. Does my noble friend agree with me that the real problem here is the routine selling on of our personal data-our mobile phone numbers and our e-mail addresses-and that we might avoid this problem if we dealt with that and had severe punishments for breach of data protection?
    Lord McNally: I thank my noble friend for that question. She is right. However, from April 2013, claims management companies will be banned from receiving referral fees in personal injury cases and from offering financial rewards or similar benefits as an inducement to make a claim. We are trying to make sure that we do not block legitimate activity but that we comb out and stop those who are causing a nuisance and the rogue traders. I am afraid that a number of regulators need to come together in this area to get effective action.
    Lord Skelmersdale: My Lords, the Minister's offer to put the letter in the Library is, of course, of great interest to Members of this House. However, there is much wider interest in this matter. May I encourage him to consider putting the letter in Hansard so that it can then get on to the internet and be much more widely read?
    Lord McNally: I am not sure how easy it is to put it into Hansard, but what I can put into Hansard is the general advice on this matter, which is that customers should never use these firms. It is simple to make

5 Nov 2012 : Column 758

claims yourself and there is a template and letter on the Which? website. However, these claims companies have at least enabled financially less confident consumers to seek redress. I pay tribute to the noble Lord, Lord Kennedy, for his assiduity in pursuing these matters. I should also point out that the consortium of concerned bodies to which I referred has produced a very helpful pamphlet as a consumer guide entitled Nuisance Calls and Messages, which is supported by 11 bodies, which may be a clue as to why it is difficult to find a solution to this problem.

Comment

You have the time to read Hansard PF

I wonder if the government will actually do anything
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

[QUOTE=pompeyfaith;253933]Lord McNally: I am not sure how easy it is to put it into Hansard, but what I can put into Hansard is the general advice on this matter, which is that customers should never use these firms. It is simple to make

5 Nov 2012 : Column 758

claims yourself and there is a template and letter on the Which? website. However, these claims companies have at least enabled financially less confident consumers to seek redress.

The banks have only themselves to blame for CMC's. Odious as they are.

They have been caught out badly but even in the process of redress are still at it.

First showing the ICO up with the non compliance of the DPA then fobbing the consumer off with excuse after excuse on why they shouldnt pay out then when they finally admit they miss-sold something they then seek to diddle the consumer yet again by saying the PPI and any penalties arissing from the PPI was seperated out of the balance and accrued a different interest rate.

I have never ever seen a seperate interest rate for charges and PPI on any statement in my life. Yes to cash advances and yes to purchases.

Has anyone else seen this additional charge interest rate on a statement? I doubt they would be happy to put interest on penalties at x rate would they.

As an aside and maybe Niddy could answer this question. If this was actually the case and they were using a seperate interest rate would that rate need to be on the T&C's of the CCA?
        Last edited by ken100464; 7 November 2012, 10:41.

Comment

Can you forward numbers that ring to the spam text message number as well?

Keep getting an 0845 number ring and saying press 5 to accept your ppi claim or 9 to remove from the list.

Dont have a ppi claim, mother does but they dont have my mobile number!
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Latest:

Mobile: 07553 740463

Web: www.advance4wages.com

Under the group name called: instant loans ltd

You are charged a Premium rate: 09050 022999 £1.50 p/min

Details of this Director of company:

MR MIROSLAW ARKADIUSZ MOLEK

126 MAYFIELD DRIVE
            ARMADALE
            SCOTLAND
            EH48 2JG

DOB: June 1986 Age: 26 yrs
            Nationality: Polish

Company Registration No: SC403572
            Registered address:
            36 REID ROAD
            BATHGATE
            SCOTLAND
            EH48 2TX

Comment

Another to add to the list of phishing spammer text alerts:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1674.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1392714
              +44 07918 780268 (easy to know that its came from outside UK, as its got +44 before the code lol)

Apart from that its Flawed:

1: New Law (whats New, its been going on for ee Aw! years)

Comment

Another to add to the list of the many arriving, with random mobile numbers:

+44 07570 384665

Name:	IMG_1735.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1393256
                Paddypaydayloan.com

Based in Hong Kong

Name:	IMG_1737.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1393258

Comment

Update new mobile number

Ref: SPAM PPi claims

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1399492
                  +44 78949 866179

TPPCO

Comment

Latest is the email version

Name:	spam.png
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1399494
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

01269 849892

Calls to pretend to be Microsoft Helpline as well as Accident Helpline

Comment

Working...
                      X