GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Potential scam email? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential scam email?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Potential scam email?

Originally posted by Flowerpower
    DON'T OPEN THE ATTACHMENTS!!!

Also don't click only any links that may be there!

I have received dozens of them purporting to be from various delivery companies. They all have zip attachments that should never ever be opened. Legit parcel companies (or most other companies that trade online) never send zip files! They are malware!
    Oh dear. I've been getting something similar from the USA which said my international bank transfer hadn't gone through successfully I don't have enough dosh to cover my needs here let alone send any spare to the US so I knew it was a scam. I printed it out and saw it had been sent to 100-ish other *tiscali* email addresses

Do you think that this could have been the cause of my recent laptop demise since it did start whirring maniacally after this happenend which was just before it crashed

What's malware and is it catching

Comment

If you didn't open any attachment, then it probably wasn't that.

Malware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
        If you didn't open any attachment, then it probably wasn't that.

Malware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        I'm afraid I did open the attachment but it didn't have a zip, it looked a bit like a calculater symbol - sorry Plan B's not great with names of techie stuff

How do you know if you've imported malware and what are the symptoms

I have AVG anti-virus which runs a scan every week so wouldn't that have cleaned everything up if it was a rogue email?
        Last edited by PlanB; 2 February 2012, 12:17.

Comment

I've had a couple from AA as well just flaged and deleted them.

didn't fancy flying to Denver or pittsburg in this weather anyway
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
          X