GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Hackintosh revisited - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hackintosh revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hackintosh revisited

Quite a while ago, I was planning on turning my desktop computer into a 'Hackintosh' (a non-Apple computer running Mac OSX) because it had the right hardware to make it feasible - Intel CPU, Gigabyte motherboard, UEFI etc. I had got OSX running successfully within VirtualBox on this computer, so the hardware is certainly up to the task.

In the end, there were a couple of practical snags, such as OSX simply refusing to boot from a USB drive on this machine (it helps to have access to a real Mac to make the installation media for you) plus I started a full-time job and didn't really have the time to deal with it. Plus I then got a real MacBook Pro, so didn't feel the need for a Hackintosh.

But I recently did the upgrade to Windows 10. I'm fine with it in general but a couple of my favourite games, including Civilization V, had some glitches. This will no doubt be fixed in a future patch of the game but it made me look for alternative platforms in the meantime. I have the Mac version of Civ V running on the MacBook Pro, although of course the screen is smaller and it doesn't half run hot. So this is why I'm thinking of revisiting the whole Hackintosh idea, as my desktop computer will be much nicer to use for a resource-hungry game like Civ V.

I've already installed Ubuntu 15.04 on an old hard drive on this computer and it's running well (I might also try running the Linux version of Civ V on it but I am having an issue with Steam, as they only make a 32-bit version of the client and I'm having trouble getting the games to run at the moment, I'm awaiting technical support). So ultimately, I intend to have the computer triple booting Windows, Linux and OSX.

Has anyone else on here successfully built a Hackintosh?
    Last edited by evilcartman; 23 August 2015, 21:13.
Working...
X