GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Why don't I know when a text message was sent to me ? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't I know when a text message was sent to me ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why don't I know when a text message was sent to me ?

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
    I still say iphone rules. Don't care what anyone thinks - iphone rules
    US technology giant Apple has reported the biggest quarterly profit ever made by a public company.

Apple reported a net profit of $18bn (£11.8bn) in its fiscal first quarter, which tops the $15.9bn made by ExxonMobil in the second quarter of 2012, according to Standard and Poor's.

more ------> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31012410

WOW ....that's some serious money ............
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I still say iphone rules. Don't care what anyone thinks - iphone rules
      Everyone to there own of course, but I still say they are well over-priced

Comment

Originally posted by Deepie View Post
        US technology giant Apple has reported the biggest quarterly profit ever made by a public company.

Apple reported a net profit of $18bn (£11.8bn) in its fiscal first quarter, which tops the $15.9bn made by ExxonMobil in the second quarter of 2012, according to Standard and Poor's.

more ------> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31012410

WOW ....that's some serious money ............
        Am not surprised when they cost £500+ and no doubt a fifth of that to manufacture

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
          Everyone to there own of course, but I still say they are well over-priced
          Never paid for one yet! I've been with Voda since day one and currently have 6 contracts with them (c £300pm) - but on each handset I pay around £50pm for unlimited everything so that's £1200 over the two year contract period. However I always get at least £250 per handset so my annual cost is £500 each handset now - I am happy at that plus I get cashback from my 123-account and my iPad contracts (x2) are heavily discounted (iPad Air latest model, 64gb costs £17pm).....

I wouldn't ever change!!
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
            Am not surprised when they cost £500+ and no doubt a fifth of that to manufacture
            They cost around $130 to make (c£70) and that is mainly due to the components that they still need to buy (as they make a lot of their own stuff now)......
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I still say iphone rules.
              I agree when it comes to style over substance. It's a good-looking product.

My difficulty is if I switch to iphone I'll have to join the whole Apple Cult with iPads and Macbooks etc.

Plus if I do all that I'll have to learn how to use a mouse which doesn't have a left and right click, and I don't think I (or you!) could cope with me not understanding how to make it work

Comment

The majority of SMS and email messages depend on a server in the telecoms provider or ISP respectively.

Call is made/message sent. It is wrapped in data showing and where it is going to, in addition to any specific encryption. It goes to ISP or the telephone company from the source device, e.g. PC or phone. There may be a delay in sending if there is no Internet of phone coverage, in which case it stays on the source device until it is either sent or abandoned. A signal is sent back when it reaches the ISP/telecom server intact to tell the source device that it has been sent. The clocks on all servers, devices and routers should use the same universal time or you get local time which could vary around the planet.

When it arrives at the ISP or provider it is topped and tailed with specific info so that it can be traced and then it is despatched. The copy may be kept on the server for resending or may fail and be deleted after the appropriate number of attempts according to local settings. When the message has been sent to the destination address, which may involve several hops through intermediate servers and repeaters a signal is sent back to the originating ISP/telecoms server. A time stamp is added as it travels through each router and server.

It may try several routes in succession until it is successful, in which case it may throw away any incomplete journeys. This is why you may get 2+ messages where only one is sent, as they may reach the destination at different ties but within the time limits for the sector. This is the tricky bit as you have to calculate when a message has been lost, and once received by the destination, the order of the messages in a chain, as the first one sent is not necessarily the first one received.

Some systems send back a message after a specific time delay, others after a number of failed tries, others just hold onto them. The latter where the recipient is known to be offline for some time, or the line is known to be unreliable.

When the recipient system receives the email message it normally sends back a confirmation of receipt. The SMS service normally sends back a confirmation message when a message is received, but this is dependent on the service provider. In the latter case this is because the messaging transport software works independently of the telephony software. It is the delivery of the message header information that causes the response, not the message itself, ie the message could have been lost or garbled in transit and so will never be presented to the recipient.

Now the message is on the server supplying the SMS or email content. The server attempts to push the message down to the device. It can only do this whilst the device is active/online. If it cannot contact the device, the server waits until the device active/online and pushes the message sown, or in some case where there is no local storage advises the recipient of the message.

All along the routes from source to recipient the intermediate servers and routers add timestamps. So the presentation of the message content and the timestamps is a function of the software on the device. If some little boy in a garage has decided to give you the message against the time it was received on your device, he needs slapping. To him it may appear logical as that is when you got it, and why would you need to know when it was sent. Alternatively the message servers in your ISP/telecoms providers message service may not be able to manage more than the last timestamp. Some messages have 20 or more timestamps, and storage is expensive, so the providers cut them off, and they can only display what they keep.

In some circles, you only use the latest information, you therefore number all messages so that you know which order they should be in and if any are missing.

If you can't deal with a mouse, how about SHOUTING at your machine using voice activated software.

Comment

Working...
                X