GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Firefox/Flash plugin insanity - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox/Flash plugin insanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Firefox/Flash plugin insanity

I think firefox did an auto update on Thusrday or Friday to version 34.0.5
    thats when Adobe flash plugin started playing silly buggers with me

I re installed flashplayer and that seems to have fixed it for me

( I don't use Linux and I'm not a geek)
    It's taken years of hard work to earn the capital N in Numpty

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
      sorry SH missed toolbar off the end of my quote, n no not Linux
      Yeah, toolbars on Windows are virtually impossible to shift. They show up in the list of programs to be uninstalled, and then when you do, they mysteriously reappear again. One reason why I'll never install one again.

Originally posted by Riz View Post
      The green tick just says that the system was up to date last time it checked with Mint's servers. Clicking it probably forced a recheck, and hence the update showing up.

I run a manual update at least once per day to make sure I'm up to date.

Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      Regards Firefox being able to check the plugin was out of date, the "plugin check" webpage and Firefox's internal blocklist are not the same thing. One is a check via a website, and the other is an internal list in Firefox. Seems that the website is not recognising that there is a new plugin version yet, while Firefox's own internal blocklist has been updated.

Not great that they are not in sync, but at least the more important blocking of an out of date vulnerable Flash version by FF itself is working.
      Originally posted by Numpty Monkey View Post
      I think firefox did an auto update on Thusrday or Friday to version 34.0.5
      thats when Adobe flash plugin started playing silly buggers with me

I re installed flashplayer and that seems to have fixed it for me

( I don't use Linux and I'm not a geek)
      I think we can piece together some of what happened now. There was a Firefox update, including the Flash player, which caused a few temporary hiccups on all operating systems. For some reason, the Firefox update installed on mine without the updated plugin (no idea why), and Riz's post above explains why different parts of Firefox said the opposite thing.

We still don't know why the plugin was left behind, but now that everything has installed it seems to be working properly.

I'd still like to get version 17.1, as it is a version with long term support, but that is a subject for another thread.

SH

Comment

The reason seems to be Mint were at least 2 days late getting their bum in gear to upload the new flash version so that you could get it as an update.

i.e. Firefox had it's bad version blocklist updated before Mint got around to giving you the new plugin.

Firefox updates it's blocklist by default once per day.

In my case I got the plugin updated from the ubuntu partner repos on 10th Dec

Whereas Mint didn't upload theirs until 12th Dec.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
        X