GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Free Spyware, Malware & Virus Protection - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free Spyware, Malware & Virus Protection

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Free Spyware, Malware & Virus Protection

Well its good, i mean if you want to avoid detection, then Tor is great, its slow though, thats the only downside.

I messed around with it for a while, theres a hell of a lot of onions you would want to avoid though, seriously avoid. Some sick people in the world
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Just been notified that after 3 years my free AVG protection has ended.

What is the best and preferably free protection to use?
      Thank you
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
        Just been notified that after 3 years my free AVG protection has ended.

What is the best and preferably free protection to use?
        Thank you
        Another vote for MS Security essentials. Top of the page, here

Cheers
        SA
        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Thanks, I was just checking in case things had moved on!

Comment

No - Essentials is spot on if you use windows. It's really quite good
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

What about this? http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/softw...free-antivirus

Comment

If you bank with Barclays at all, you can get Kaspersky for free.

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Helpsuppor...P1242557966961

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                  No - Essentials is spot on if you use windows. It's really quite good
                  Yeah agreed. A lot of people slate it but no-one knows the operating system like the people who made it when you think about it!
                  When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Barclays......um, no and they don't like me

Comment

With windows, what do I need to do? My laptop is playing games. AVG have told me that my protection ended on 1 November and my internet access keeps crashing.
                      do I need to delete AVG first?

Comment

Nice and simple. Microsoft Security Essentials. As Niddy says at start of this post. Free, updates all the time, most importantly, IT WORKS!

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                          With windows, what do I need to do? My laptop is playing games. AVG have told me that my protection ended on 1 November and my internet access keeps crashing.
                          do I need to delete AVG first?
                          Hit start -> control panel -> add remove programs -> avg - click remove/uninstall.

Or go into the product settings and uninstall it directly. Yes you can only have one anti virus protection running at any one time as another flags that as malware and vice versa.
                          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I seem to have lost the ability to go online with my laptop! The green light is orange and won't go green!

Comment

It's one of 3 things. Can't be anything else, logically (he says)!

Ok first - check you've not pressed a button or slid a switch on the side to turn wifi on/off? If not then test a hard connection.

To do this, just take your laptop to your router/hub and unplug the Ethernet "in" cable and plug it directly into your laptop. You may not notice any lights so try and open google or something. If you get online then you know that's it your wireless adaptor.

So, assuming it's your wireless adaptor - just reset it as follows:

To uninstall and then reinstall the wireless network adapter follow these steps:

1. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.* If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. In Device Manager, locate the device under Network adapters. Right click it and choose Uninstall.

3. Say OK to the popup and reboot your PC. The device will reinstall and should reset to default settings.

The above is your main 3 actions/options/causes/fixes.

Comment

Thank you, that's really helpful. I hadn't pressed any buttons.....done that in the past and had it pointed out by a smirking teenager!

This appears to be intermittent (happened 3 times yesterday) so I will play after work.

Comment

Working...
                                X