GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script FTP File/Folder Permission advice - any experts? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FTP File/Folder Permission advice - any experts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FTP File/Folder Permission advice - any experts?

Will do.

I use Joomla on occasion, last couple of jobs needed joomla as their extensions ar excellent.

But this was with Opencart. And as you say it uses a MVC structure, so theres all different files being called and pieced together.

The actual file i had an issue with is an addon called vqmod, its basically a way to overwrite functions on the fly without modifying files using xml.
    Last edited by SXGuy; 3 May 2013, 23:46.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
      Will do.

I use Joomla on occasion, last couple of jobs needed joomla as their extensions ar excellent.

But this was with Opencart. And as you say it uses a MVC structure, so theres all different files being called and pieced together.

The actual file i had an issue with is an addon called vqmod, its basically a way to overwrite functions of the fly without modifying files using xml.
      Ahh see I don't use opencart, well I can build and structure it but I prefer virtuemart plus it looks spanking - wait till you see the new simpleServe element that I am currently building - pretty smart lets put it that way!

As for vqmod - yea, I prefer editing core files directly as I stay in control and easier to revert if things crash. It's personal preference, but wherever possible try and use tested mods (extensions) as manually changing one file could disrupt many others.

For example, a lot of people I know that have Joomla based sites hate the contact form so before they get me to rebuild it for them it looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	aad_redo1.png
Views:	1
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1393930

Although I have "slightly" edited the core files to achieve that layout.

However once I get to grips with it, you end up with a contact page looking like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Contact Us - Consumer Revenge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1393932

As you can see, editing the core files is fine if you know what you're doing, otherwise use a recognised and tested extension - trust me, I have crashed hundreds of sites through trial and error. It's a pain when you have to rebuild from scratch when your XML gets corrupt
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I agree, i modify files wherever possible, always make a copy of the old as backup.

Something simple isnt a problem, but when you want for example a new input field added to the backend settings for an extension, you gotta edit admin/controller files admin/view files and admin/model files.

Then all the front end controller, view and model files, and finally add a new column in the database table.

With VQMod if someone has already done the work, its a case of dropping 1 file in to a folder.

Idealy id want to hard code it all myself, but when you are working on the clock, you tend to look for faster solutions.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Ahh see, we use JForm and that allows us ease of access when editing forms with minimal core edits. Breezing forms is another highly recommended one and free.

As I say, we buy most extension modules and customise and freshen up unsupported non-commercial ones so we have a large database of add-ons.

I like playing with it, the part I hate is filling the content which sadly is manual however you look at it (when going from custom to cms).

Are you any good at Drupal and it's coding? I am looking to start doing Drupal stuff but can't be arsed learning it yet as I am too busy so if you can install and run the quick setups and add mods/build stores etc then could provide some work your way
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

p.s. if you need any themes/templates let me know - we have pretty much every available one from all the main sites inc themeforest

Just tell me the name of it and I can sort you the whole template inc extensions if you want.

Comment

I dont use Drupal, but i am familiar with it, its not too different to Opencart from what i have seen.

It wouldnt be a problem to install, set up and add mods. Anything im unsure of wouldnt take more than 5 minutes working it out, so sure feel free to drop me some work if you need to.

I completely agree with you regarding the boring parts! i absolutely love designing websites, i can not stand inputting the data!

Just finished adding 450 products for a client, all with different size options and additional images, all i kept thinking about was at least ive been paid to do it lol

Have you used Artisteer? its a pretty nice template design program, i doubt you can create a theme as good as themeforests but its so much quicker than manually changing stylesheets and template files.
              Last edited by SXGuy; 4 May 2013, 00:11.

Comment

sod that mate - I'd never add so many images! Well i'd install an extension to bulk upload a folder then try and add a sql command to split them into the relevant paths - lol.

Anything would be easier, or I'd tell the customer to get fucked (joke)

Nah mate, never used Artisteer - I tend to self teach most things so like to start at the beginning and build it up. Seems good though

Comment

haha, again you are right, and there is an import/export extension which is handy as you can fill the product data in a excel spreadsheet and then import it back, but i find that setting all the info up in the correct structure to be able to cut and paste in to the right columns can end up taking just as long lol

Comment

exactly mate hence I'd say get fucked

Comment

Working...
                    X