GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riz
    replied
    Re: Windows 8 Is Entirely Unusable

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11...windows_fixes/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10...i_dodgy_patch/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08...eens_of_death/

Just a few examples from this year.

Leave a comment:

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied

It's the security updates that affect kernal / registry you need to be careful of mate. I always create a restore point about once a year and do all updates then in one go. Only crashed once, quick restore - start adding one security update at a time and before long you find the dodgy update so restore again do all but the dodgy one. Easy life

Leave a comment:

• pompeyfaith
    replied

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
    bugs!!
    Allow auto updates before a system restore is created could crash your OS mate so always manually install updates as that way you're in control. Not windows pushing early releases with bugs.

Remember windows millenium edition - their main update prior to binning it crashed your system so people had to reverse the update in command iirc. Anyway just saying - best be safe than sorry.
    Thanks Niddy ill turn it off now don't want this new laptop wrecked

Leave a comment:

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
    Mind telling us why
    bugs!!
    Allow auto updates before a system restore is created could crash your OS mate so always manually install updates as that way you're in control. Not windows pushing early releases with bugs.

Remember windows millenium edition - their main update prior to binning it crashed your system so people had to reverse the update in command iirc. Anyway just saying - best be safe than sorry.

Leave a comment:

• pompeyfaith
    replied

Turn off automatic updates
    Mind telling us why

Leave a comment:

• PlanB
    replied

Of course. Why didn't I think of that

Leave a comment:

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• PlanB
    replied

My Windows 8 updated to Windows 8.1 while I was asleep last night without my permission and I'm finding it even more user-friendly to those of us non-geeks.

Leave a comment:

• Riz
    replied

Ouch. Wasn't planning to try it on a real box, and that certainly takes away any faint tempation I might have had to try it on something spare.

Leave a comment:

• Enforcer
    replied

Windows 10 technical preview has now trashed 3 new 500 gig hard drives. Can see them in Ubuntu, know that they are there but they will not spin up. Problem with latest build if you are using an old computer. Bios on new models will work. Mine won't. Tried hdparm to sort it out, but no. Currently running Ubuntu live cd to make use of laptop in dining room, will otherwise be sitting in cold office. Keep away fro 10 for time being!

Leave a comment:

• Riz
    replied

I'm only going to try in a virtual machine. I've only just scraped Windows 8 off a PC, so not putting anything MS back on for real now.

Leave a comment:

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied

I gotta admit I also find win7 pretty awesome and tbh if it means burning ISO etc I'll hold fire. In time ebay will have Dell master install disks for sale. Large Org's that update get a cd per machine so big firms have thousands. They go for around a tenner And it's the official dell windows install disk

Leave a comment:

• ScabHunter
    replied

The combination of Windows 7 and Linux Mint does everything I need it to do, so I'll stay on the sidelines and watch for a bit. I'll be very interested in the experience of the early adopters, though.

Windows Hate really did scare the excrement out of me.

SH

Leave a comment:

• Riz
    replied

Downloading now so I can try in a VM sometime.

Leave a comment:

• Enforcer
    replied

Join Windows Insiders Programme. Links you to download.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X