Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tablets

Originally posted by alland View Post
    I don't have any experience of other tablets but I am completely hooked on the Ipad.

Yes the "apple brand" makes them expensive, but they do everything I want plus have a supply of apps that I need for aviation related stuff that are not available with android based tablets.

Problem is I now want the mini ipad as well as it will make life a whole lot more comfortable for some of the stuff I use it for...more expense...

BBoo you could try and source a used Ipad, now the 4th generation is out many folk will be upgrading and looking to offload earlier versions which may suit your needs.

PS. and if you are anti Apple, you can always "jailbreak" the ipad ..
    Have you done this and does it still work? have read a lot about jailbreaking but surely it does void the warranty? do you get a lot of apps that you don't get from the app store? are there special websites out there with iPad apss?

I am looking for a tablet and love the look of the iPad. have seen they sell models with 3G as well as wifi, does anyone know how it works, how do you pay for the 3G and is it the same as the mobile network? Do you need a mobile contract to use 3G or how does it work?

It's all a little confusing with so many options out there.

Thanks and happy new year.

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
      If you have a mobile contract you can get an add on without a credit check
      you mean you can make it so you can use your mobile data on your tablet as well?

Comment

Well i technically have two mobile numbers, one is my normal number with minutes texts and data in the bundle. The other has pure data in a much cheaper bundle. That is what i use on my tablet. I am currently using the wifi of a hotel in Warsaw as it's free but when i am in the UK i use either wifi i know, mine.my partners or maybe mcdonalds if i am there or the cell data when i am out.

Comment

Got a Kindle fire hd for xmas, does everything I need for browsing web books games etc. Love angry birds on it Space invaders, tv catchup. But cannot replace a proper computer!

Comment

I already have a laptop. I thought the Kindle was just an e-book reader for books from Amazon, didn't know it was like the other tablet. What does it use? Is it Android based?

Comment

Uses Android, jelly bean, e mail works just like any other 'puter, browse the web as normal, watch telly, read books, play music, etc. Play angry birds, wife's favourite app, me, SPACE INVADERS.

Comment

Never thought about Kindles, thinking they were Amazon book readers, they are a lot cheaper than an iPad.

Comment

You need Kindle Fire HD £159.00 Now officially second greatest tablet sales only behind I Pad, but less than half the price.

Comment

£159 sounds very cheap. iPads are £300-£500. But i already have apps on the iPhone.

Comment

You can get thousands of free apps on the kindle fire.

Comment

Sales and quality do not go together. Apple has the most apps followed by android. The nexus is very good but i still believe that Samsung are great. I have a Samsung tab waiting for me when i get home tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, although I'm now more undecided than ever.

Anyone out there with a Samsung Galaxy? What's your experience?

Comment

I have an old Samsung galaxy tab and as soon as Vodafone get their arses into gear i will have a tab2 so will let you know

Comment

Vodafone have the new iPad with retina display for £32/month including 2Gb data on a 2 year contract. The iPad 2 is just £2 less and probably not worth the saving.

The same iPad can be bought for £360 from a local shop, without the data plan, which means it would only be usable where there's WiFi, which is fine in most cases. What I'd like to know is if there are any data plans or pay-as-you-go around so if I buy an iPad I can still use it without WiFi if and when required. I'd like to be able to compare the cost of this + the iPad against the all-inclusive plan.

I also noted PC World have both iPads with WiFi and iPads with 'WiFi and cellular'. I can't see any explanation under product description. Does that mean there are iPads without cellular data capabilities?

After looking around, I'm more confused than ever!

Comment

Undecided
                                Wifi with cellular will work on wifi or with a sim card and typically cost £100 more than a wifi only model

A wifi only model will not be able to use 3g (no cellular)

If you buy an Ipad with retina display with wifi and cellular it will typically cost you about £500 give or take..seems Apple have somewhat or a cartel running on the products.
                                You would then need to subscribe to either a PAYG or contract . Vodafone costs about £15 a month for 2Gb of data and 1Gb BT openzone.

I hope that makes sense to you

Of course you need to get a network that works for you where you need it to. Voda is fine for me, but Mum in Cheshire needs O2, sister in Warwick Voda and sis in Maidstone Orange.

Voda is crap is B/ham city centre , maybe the tall buildings

Hope I am not been too patronising , just trying to be helpful

PS still waiting for my Tab2

Comment

Working...
                                X