GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script 101 MPH - Is it a ban? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

101 MPH - Is it a ban?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 101 MPH - Is it a ban?

Oh yes that is an idea, cheers PlanB

http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...ead.php?t=3442

The above link/thread to my son's experience of speeding.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
      Oh yes that is an idea, cheers PlanB

http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...ead.php?t=3442

The above link/thread to my son's experience of speeding.
      Thanks for that link Di. It touched me when I read it at the time so I hope it'll be of some use to other members

Comment

maybe your friend could write back to the court and ask they dismiss judgement and instead telephone the "hows my driving" sticker on the back of the company van? lol
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I'm finding this thread and the different attitudes to motorway speeds interesting!

I was in Germany in November and had a hire car that I was going to drive from Basel (very cheap flight) to Frankfurt. Some people I was meeting in Frankfurt were driving up from their home in the Black Forest so I ended up dumping my hire car at a Park & Ride car park in Freiburg and getting a lift with them for the 170 miles so we could chat during the journey.

I was in the passenger seat, with Christian (late-20s) driving, and his mother Sybil in the back with their neighbour Ilse. Most stretches of motorway in Germany do have speed limits, but there are still the odd stretches without, outside built-up areas. In the bits where he was able to put his foot down, he did put his foot down. I rarely even travel in buses, let alone cars on motorways in the UK these days so I was feeling a bit tense at the speed he was going, but it got to the point several times where Sybil was begging him to "brake" and not to go any faster than 180 (112 mph). He was very laid back (almost too laid back) and he was saying "Yeah, it's fine -- I'm leaving enough of a safety gap". I think he got up to 130mph and I was relieved when we got into the stretches with speed limits.

On the way back from Frankfurt a few days later, Christian wasn't with us, and so Sybil was driving. She's in her 60s and neighbour Ilse is well into her 70s and Ilse didn't seem remotely fazed by the speeds. Sybil was mainly worried because the car had winter tyres on it rather than anything else. On this return journey, the three of us were talking incessantly all the way, but even Sybil was doing 175 km/h on the no-limit stretches without batting an eyelid (109 mph).

I've spent several years in Germany in the past, yet it was only on this short trip that it struck me how much of a cultural/national mentality thing the attitude to motorway speeds
          is there. Politicians have tried over the years to end the no-speed-limit stretches of motorway but they've never managed. It's even more odd because Germany was always way ahead of say the UK in environmental matters (like I remember they had special bins outside shops in the 1980s where you would chuck dead household batteries instead of putting them the normal bin, and when I hired a Golf there in 1991 I remember a booklet in the glove compartment on how to drive in a fuel-efficient and environmentally friendly manner!).

I don't own a car but when I hire them, I stick to the speed limit or a bit under as it's a lot less mentally knackering and stressful if nothing else. And after some daft bugger has torn past you at 90-odd, cutting people up, you see them stuck in traffic ten miles down the road ...

I live down south and I was wanting to go up north to visit (partly rural bits where I'd need a car), and was going to hire a car down here. The thought though of a mind-numbing A1/M1 plod up to York from here is giving me second thoughts about getting a cheap train up to York or Sheffield or somewhere and hiring the car up there (not to mention petrol prices). It's a pity you have to pay one-way hire charges in the UK though -- you don't in France or Spain ...

I'll stop this inane ramble as I'll be boring everyone senseless!

Comment

I think doing away with motorway speed limits (or at least raising them to something more sensible) has great potential. A driver of a Porsche at 101 mph is probably safer than a pensioner doing 30 mph in the middle lane.

In London we've got a new crazy experiment where Exhibition Road (Kensington) has taken away the kerbs so the road and the pavement are the same thing Apparently it "encourages motorists to drive more cautiously and slowly with greater awareness and consideration for pedestrians"

Luckily there's also an ambulance station less than a mile away

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
              I think doing away with motorway speed limits (or at least raising them to something more sensible) has great potential. A driver of a Porsche at 101 mph is probably safer than a pensioner doing 30 mph in the middle lane.

In London we've got a new crazy experiment where Exhibition Road (Kensington) has taken away the kerbs so the road and the pavement are the same thing Apparently it "encourages motorists to drive more cautiously and slowly with greater awareness and consideration for pedestrians"

Luckily there's also an ambulance station less than a mile away

lmao

Going back to the Porsche, the night my son got stopped, there was just himself in his 1.2 Corsa SXI and the Porsche that flew past him, they ignored the other car and stopped my son, still yes my son was speeding but the other was obviously doing a lot more, the police car was an unmarked EVO.

Comment

Working...
              X