GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Dual citizenship - USA / UK - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual citizenship - USA / UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AllanLambert
    replied
    You may or may not be able to.

But certainly lots of people are so people in general can so long as they meet the requirements off both countries.

Generally UK citizens who go to live in the US end up as dual citizens. Americans in the UK are less likely to be dual as many will drop their US citizenship as it’s quite toxic to have as it means the US still owns you and taxes you even if you don’t live there etc where as obviously British people are their own person and not in anyway owned by the government to tax even when living abroad etc.

Leave a comment:

• jen_br
    replied
    Re: Dual citizenship - USA / UK

TSA suck seriously -- when I had my op I had implants with metal tags in them set off the alarm I refused to go through the body scan as its radiation and frankly i wasn't going through it.. Josh was about 18months and I wasn't letting him go through it either they made me strip it was disgusting.

Leave a comment:

• alland
    replied

Originally posted by patchouli View Post
    I just wanted to know if they HAD to have both....
    Apologies patchouli for high jacking your thread with pointless US immigration trivia.

Leave a comment:

• SXGuy
    replied

No in answer

Leave a comment:

• patchouli
    replied

I just wanted to know if they HAD to have both....

Leave a comment:

• alland
    replied

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
    Havent been since the TSA took over, and from what ive read about them, i dont plan to either.
    I go through the US entry system 4 times a year, to be fair like with any official body. You get good and bad, some of the TSA guys are ok, some are real . Like I said earlier I have TSA security clearance, but I still feel uneasy when I go through the entry process, it pays not to make any smart comments and just give simple answers to any questions they ask, if they don't like the answer you give them they have the power to send you to a transit lounge and put you on the next plane home, there is no appeal process, no shouting "I demand to see your boss" ..if the guy on the desk says you can't come in you go home simple as.....

Leave a comment:

• SXGuy
    replied

Havent been since the TSA took over, and from what ive read about them, i dont plan to either.

Leave a comment:

• alland
    replied

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
    If it were me, and i could have 2 passports, and were planning a trip to USA. I would have to consider whether it was easier to travel with a US passport, or a UK one.

It's been quite some time since i travelled to USA, but if passport control is anything like the UK ones, then you would have a USA passport queue, and an "any other" which is generally rhe rest of the world. Then it could potentially be quicker to enter the country.

Im not savvy on the level of protection from each embassy so wouldnt know if thats a factor.
    Thats correct, as you enter the immigration hall there are two ways to queue, US citizens and residents, or non citizen non resident visitors. Depending on the flight origin either one can be processed quickly, usually if on a British flight to say Florida a holiday destination there are usually very few US citizens on board, so there can be quite a wait in the non citizens queue and hardly anyone in the US citizens entry point. In bound on a schedule flight to say New York or similar, then there is a mixture of nationalities so immigration moves pretty quickly whichever queue you need to go in.

The TSA inspectors who process you through immigration passport control are a law unto themselves, I think they are chosen because they are too tough for the CIA .....I have TSA security clearance for entering the US due to the activity I do when there, but even so I just answer their questions yes sir no sir three bags full sir....bend over sir ?...of course sir !

Leave a comment:

• SXGuy
    replied

If it were me, and i could have 2 passports, and were planning a trip to USA. I would have to consider whether it was easier to travel with a US passport, or a UK one.

It's been quite some time since i travelled to USA, but if passport control is anything like the UK ones, then you would have a USA passport queue, and an "any other" which is generally rhe rest of the world. Then it could potentially be quicker to enter the country.

Im not savvy on the level of protection from each embassy so wouldnt know if thats a factor.

Leave a comment:

• patchouli
    replied

I'd give my 'eye teeth' for the money to afford it! lol I have 5 children, 2 grandchildren, a disabled Mother who insists on doing everything herself, debts springing out every orifice, two businesses to run and a nervous breakdown to keep at bay. ha ha ha!!
    They did have both when they were born as we were told (wrongly) that they HAD to have both and they will always have that option... the trip to London was horrendous, I LOATH cities and the people at the Embassy were a nasty lot (might have been a bad day for ALL of them or something).

I'm happy with them not having an American passport until we HAVE to have one.. besides.. After looking into his school trip on parent pay it was Italy not France and though it seems we may well afford the passport if we save but the bloody holiday is £900!!!!!! Add equipment and other sundires to that and it would be a GRAND for a 13 year old to go away for a week.. SHEESH!

Italy - February 2015 - Ski Trip, To Pay: £915.00
    So no passport will be bought... lmao

Eventually your boys will grow up (perish the thought)
    I hope they do grow up... I couldn't live if anything happened to any of my children :-(

Leave a comment:

• PlanB
    replied

Originally posted by patchouli View Post
    Do my boys HAVE to have both US and UK passports. (Mother UK - Father US with perm' leave to stay)

We were told back when I arranged their PP that they HAD to have both, they could leave the UK on a UK PP but to return they would need both.

Now this peed me off as it isn't cheap and it isn't a joy to get the US PP either... it was a horridy Londony trip!!!! Now one of our children (12) has the opportunity to go to France next year but I don't have any PP valid.... do I need to do both again?
    I would give my eye teeth for two passports. Have you even considered the positives of this? Some countries allow in certain nationals and other countries reject them. The Middle East springs to mind. As a journalist I missed out on assignments because I didn't have the *right* passport to guarantee entry to a country. It isn't always about visas.

Eventually your boys will grow up (perish the thought) and thank you for the two passport option.

Nothing horridy about a trip to London. I love living here

Leave a comment:

• jen_br
    replied

it has a map of the province you were born to on it.

Leave a comment:

• patchouli
    replied

Well if we had the money I would as his one from birth has expired now... the USA birth certificate is SO pretty compared to the UK one though... is the Canadian one as colourful and ornate?

Leave a comment:

• jen_br
    replied

Hi Canadian mum UK dad UK Son, he has UK passport I registered his birth in canada and yes if he does't have an american passport he needs to oblige by the laws of a UK citizen ie will need to get the visa for entering and can only stay for so long.

Getting him an American passport would mean he wouldn't have to get the 2yearly visa and could stay in the country for longer than 90- days . We will be getting my son a Canadian passport just so haven't gotten around to it.

Leave a comment:

• julian
    replied

Travelling in Europe, I would use the UK passport as it it easier to obtain. It is valid worldwide and you don't need a visa for France.

If you want protection of the US and the UK whilst travelling abroad you need both passports. However, you can only claim the protection of the nation if you entered the country with the passport of that nation. You enter a country with a single passport, so you take your pick if you have more than one. As the UK and the US both have international status, then the UK passport is as good as the US passport except in the US.

If you book an airline flight of packaged holiday you need to supply the passport details for the receiving countries security clearance before you board the plane, so you cannot swap nationalities mid-flight or there may be confusion when you land.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X