GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Everything getting on top of me. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything getting on top of me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied
    Re: Everything getting on top of me.

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
    Nice one, Ames!,

As for the 'will' problem, has anyone heard of

http://www.finalduties.co.uk/ ?
    I hadn't but, when my late father died eight years ago, those hearse-chasers weren't even a twinkle in a salesman's eye.

I did all the work myself and, from what I can recall of the process, I'd not have said it was worth even £200, let alone ten times that.

Leave a comment:

• charitynjw
    replied

Nice one, Ames!,

As for the 'will' problem, has anyone heard of

http://www.finalduties.co.uk/ ?

Leave a comment:

• Ames
    replied

My GP's pretty sure it's type II, I'm too old (30) for type 1. I've gone from normal 7 months ago to full blown diabetes now, so they've caught it really early, and my GP thinks I should be able to control it by diet alone, metformin at the most. So I'm looking at it as a wakeup call rather than a major disaster - it hasn't had chance to do any damage, and now I'm aware of it hopefully it wont. Dad was really far along when he was diagnosed and has to have insulin, so I'm grateful for the early dx.

Actually, a bit of googling showed that my IVIG (blood transfusion) therapy is good for diabetic neuropathy, so hopefully it wont be my feet. I'll pass on the picture though thanks!

The crisis team have just left. They're going to refer me to a CPN (I'm adamant I need one now, otherwise I'll go manic or depressed and not look after myself and take care of the diabetes). They're going to back up my GP referral to the psychiatrist, and I should hear within a few days about that. And they're referring me for psychotherapy - there'll be a long waiting list, but I'd rather wait and get proper help than go straight for short counselling sessions which just patch me up till next time.

So overall I'm getting a lot of positives out of today.

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

Originally posted by Ames View Post
    I'll try again tomorrow to find someone better. I'm assuming I can have the free half hour with multiple firms until I find one I'm happy with?
    That was the initial idea behind the scheme.

In the meantime, I've just found out I have diabetes.
    Which type - insulin dependent (type 1) or insulin independent (type 2)?

I wonder which part of my body's going to pack in next... so far it's brain, immune system and now pancreas.
    At a guess, it'll probably be parts of your peripheral nervous system.

Would you like to see a picture of my diabetic toe?

Leave a comment:

• garlok
    replied

Of course Ames, it is up to the individual solicitor, so you can try one or two out and see how you feel about them. Don't be surprised if they don't tell you everything you want to hear. They have more ways of skinning the cat than you or I normally think of. But your local guy is usually pretty good for this sort of stuff, that is their bread and butter living after all.

Garlok

Leave a comment:

• Ames
    replied

Thanks everyone, I was a bit wary when I saw the website and it all being about accident claims and such. Then having to ring a national number, and everything being done on the phone (I hate using the phone, and have got conned over it before - 'hi, we're from a charity, can we have your bank details please?' 'yes sure, here they are'.

I'll try again tomorrow to find someone better. I'm assuming I can have the free half hour with multiple firms until I find one I'm happy with?

In the meantime, I've just found out I have diabetes. Handing over such a stressful problem to someone else who can act in my interest is pretty much vital now I think. Especially since my GP is referring me to the crisis team and psychiatrist because of the effect it's all had on my mental health.

I wonder which part of my body's going to pack in next... so far it's brain, immune system and now pancreas.

Leave a comment:

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied

Wise wise words - I personally hate IM - as you say they use unqualified personnel who really have no idea and follow scripts given, as and when the solicitor instructs....

Well, thats how is appeared to me.

Leave a comment:

• garlok
    replied

Ames-- You do not need a major law firm like IM to do this work for you. By the way they take debtors to court and operate to the very worst standards exhibited by the debt collection movement IMO. Just look around the net.

Talk to the Law Society for one, they will help you. The average High Street solicitor will have the same clout, know a lot more about conveyancing and family law (which is what this is about) than the bimbo telephone answering service that the likes of IM use. AND will cost you and awful lot less. When choosing a law firm the really good ones have no need to use heavy marketing techniques, are usually very conservative (note small c) in their apporach and have their clients' best interests closer to their hearts than big unwieldy corporate lawyers and NO conflicts of interest.

Garlok

Leave a comment:

• caspar
    replied

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
    IM are leading the field to go 'Alternative Business Structure', aka 'Tesco law'.

How do the more knowledgeable posters see this trend?

http://www.legalweek.com/legal-week/...aw-investments
    I would have thought if a business can reduce their tax liability from 50% to 28% that would be an excellent move, as long as the service to their customers is not adversely affected.

It's interesting to see that from October 6th 2011 the Solicitors Regulation Authority will be changing the way in which they regulate solicitors and firms, concentrating more on an outcome focused regulation. They're also identifying high risk areas and putting most of their efforts towards those. It's good to see them responding to the simultaneous change towards ABS. IMO ABS is not necessarily a bad thing, there are many areas of a law business that do not need a solicitor to run them, and indeed may well be run better by someone outside the legal profession. Hopefully this restructuring will result in better service for the consumer.

At the end of the day, it matters not one jot how they're structured, how much tax they pay or what they're called etc.... What matters is the quality of the service received by the consumer.
    Last edited by caspar; 28 July 2011, 14:25.

Leave a comment:

• CleverClogs (RIP)
    replied

Originally posted by caspar View Post
    The solicitors have this side of things pretty much wrapped up. When I sold my last house, the purchaser was a personal friend and we wanted to do things without solicitors. However, it all fell down for one simple reason. In order for the house sale to complete there had to be electronic transfers of monies.
    Fiddlesticks!

How do you suppose conveyancing was done in the 1950s, when there were only 5 or so computers in the whole of the UK?

Leave a comment:

• charitynjw
    replied

IM are leading the field to go 'Alternative Business Structure', aka 'Tesco law'.

How do the more knowledgeable posters see this trend?

http://www.legalweek.com/legal-week/...aw-investments

Leave a comment:

• caspar
    replied

To be fair to them, if you Google Irwin Mitchell reviews, though there are a couple of people like Niddy, who have had negative experiences, the vast majority are good.

Leave a comment:

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied

Irwin Mitchell. Please don't tell me they're terrible...
    Yes they are - they are a claims processor, ie you get teeny boppers on the phones etc......

They done our PI claim and they settled at £1500, we changed and got £5200 in the end!

Ermm, anyway that is MY opinion..... :niddy

Leave a comment:

• Never-In-Doubt
    replied

Thanks so much for all the advice.
    As I said, it'd be best to seek proper legal advice regards the benefits as well - do not trust the word of the PA's at the JC as they are often wrong.

I would suggest you sort the main issues before worrying about the benefits element......

Leave a comment:

• caspar
    replied

Dad and sister say we don't need a solicitor to deal with the house sale because we're selling to dad so it'll be a private sale.
    Ames,

The solicitors have this side of things pretty much wrapped up. When I sold my last house, the purchaser was a personal friend and we wanted to do things without solicitors. However, it all fell down for one simple reason. In order for the house sale to complete there had to be electronic transfers of monies.

We didn't have this facility, and in any case you need to protect yourself in a house sale, so doing it without legal advice is not a good idea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X