GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Idiot of a Brother - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idiot of a Brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Idiot of a Brother

Re Spain. It depends where you are and the money you have. Although any families do look after parents there are fewer families with children now and very few marriages. The upshot is a very different mix to 40 years ago. Many families try to keep people in their own homes and 'supply' live in maids, mainly for 3rd world countries (South America and Eastern Europe as well as Africa) who are just glad to have a place to stay for a while until they sort out their legal status. So then it depends on the controls in place or you could turn up and find the old dear lying in a freezing cold bed with no clothes or furniture, as it has been sold off by the carer. Others are really grateful and caring, and really make a great contribution. Most people have a pension as they/the employers are forced to pay into it. When they go into retirement homes, they do have to pick and choose and in small communities it is just like joining friends on holiday each ahs a room etc and the care is normally good as there are loads of relatives to monitor daily, as most are in the village or town where the od person used to have their home. In larger cities it is quite normal for the old people to be outside the city in surrounding towns, as the city centre residences are normally quite expensive, and if the residents need to be cared for, they do not need to be at the centre of things as they will no longer need to shop everyday at the market or go to work. There are also more halfway homes, where those who have been in hospital are cared for in a place external to the hospital so they do not bed-block urgent case, but are not on their own.
    For those with money, there is live in, for those with little there is a net but family does play a greater part, but less now than before as families are smaller and like in the UK are more spread.

Comment

thank you julian. that is very comprehensive information, most appreciated
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Ok Housing has not got back to me,
        daughter text last night to say my brother had been to mums yesterday(thursday) and got the Dr out has her leg is still bad (think this could of been a ruse so that he could ask Dr to support him in getting her moved,
        daughter had sent him an email on Manchester housing policy, as she thought if he was shoving her anywhere it should have the level of support she needs in HER circumstances, His reply:- I will be looking at warden controlled apartment in Didsbury on Monday,
        he has still not mentioned it to mum,or me, on the housing association web site the apartments they have in the area he gives, are warden operated, so no warden on site but an alarm system, she has that where she is.
        they do look nice (from the outside) and they would be easier to keep warm, nice and close to the shops,drs etc,In fact i'll sell up and rent one, If you wanted to buy in that area now it is silly money for a small 2up 2 down so she would now be moving up in the world,
        daughter and I have decided to leave him to it, we will wait and see what happens ,Mum will blame it on his partner, She has taken a great dislike to her recently for some reason.
        Any way brother can have the headache of sorting out the council tax bills and contacting every one, which will be fun as he only found out last month that mum doesn't have a bank account and he had to tour round for ages finding a place to cash a cheque for her.

Another rant over, bless you all xx
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

update. mums not going anywhere,
          brother went to look at the flats yesterday, but he couldn't see inside one as none are empty,they have no lift and they couldn't say when one could be available on the ground floor, BUT, if brother filled in a rehousing form they could let him know when one becomes available anywhere in their housing stock, err NO,
          Housing/social/nurses where at mums yesterday, to see how she managed to get upstairs, some smart ass said " you really need a bed downstairs" to which mums cheerful reply was "but the bathrooms upstairs, so what would be the point"? "you have a commode!"
          yes!! but no one to empty it", we could get someone in, you can see yourself out, we're only trying to help, well if that's helping don't bother, i can manage,.
          she has agreed to meals on wheels 2 days a week to see if she likes them, if so she can have them all week and they will make her sandwiches for tea,(at least we will know she is eating something and not giving stuff away)
          Social worker has agreed she is entitled to attendance allowance so I am going to try and talk her into having a cleaner, so when family go we can spend time on her and not cleaning the house.

thats all for now

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
            Any way brother can have the headache of sorting out the council tax bills and contacting every one, which will be fun as he only found out last month that mum doesn't have a bank account and he had to tour round for ages finding a place to cash a cheque for her.
            This does not make sense - if she has no bank account, how does she receive her state pension?

Comment

some have a card to use at the post office

Comment

But doesn't that work with a bank account?

Comment

understand an alternative to Bank account issued by DWP?

Comment

you have pension / benefits paid in to an account provided by DWP you have a card to take that money out.
                    the account cannot be used for anything else.
                    Simples x

Comment

That seems about as sensible as eating sweeties with the cellophane left in place.

Comment

Ok update.
                        went to mums yesterday, to say she is not doing well is an under statement, she has got the nurse in a morning to see to her legs, she also makes sure mum has taken her meds and leaves out a heart tablet to be taken at night,all ok so far.
                        Meals on wheels had just delivered her lunch(so mum said) as we got back with her shopping, Mum was making her self a cup of tea, I asked why she wasn't sat eating her lunch, said she would heat it up later? Trying to explain to her that it was hot when it came was a no go.
                        Because they don't put it on a plate in front of her she thinks it's cold and she has to heat it up.
                        they also leave her a bag containing a sandwich, fruit, yoghurt, and piece of cake for her tea. Yesterdays was still on the table. WHY? because they had spelt her name wrong so she thought it was someone else s and she couldn't eat it.
                        she is using a stick to get round the house, one down stairs and one up, so she gets upstairs using the downstairs stick, then at the top of the stairs she swaps it for the one there.
                        we moved the Bins from the back of the house to the front and have arranged for the refuse men to come down the path to remove /replace the bins. we explained this to her and took her out to show her where they were. I had left the main bin near to the front door so she didn't have to go far to put out used pads. I am glad we moved the bins, as we got a phone call at 10pm to say mum was in hospital. she had fallen over trying to move the bins, luckily one of the neighbors heard her shouting and called my Brother.
                        She has broken her wrist but is insisting she is fine to come home and the hospital were going to discharge her.
                        I have told Brother he is not to agree to her coming home unless some care package is in place for her, If she has to go into a home so be it, and would he please tell the hospital staff that she is deaf and cannot understand what they are telling her, she IS NOT STUPID.
                        #pissed off

Comment

Bloomin heck NW I'm not surprised you're feeling pissed off
                          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Working...
                          X