GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Dementia.... re-claiming care home fees. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dementia.... re-claiming care home fees.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dementia.... re-claiming care home fees.

Originally posted by billytommo View Post
    Any further news on this P1? This is, unfortunately, an area of interest for me as my DM has Alzheimer's and we are just looking to get an assessment for continuing care. I have only done research as yet but suspect it will be a struggle to get the funding that we feel she is entitled to. The subject of continuing care funding is not well publicised due to the fact that, if everyone that was entitled to it actually received it, the NHS would be in very serious trouble. I, like you, am not going to give up in this fight!
    It's ongoing Billytommo..... the NHS haven't done the retrospective assessment yet..... and it's been over 3 years now since the claim was lodged. The latest was a request from my solicitor (to me) for a full breakdown of Mum's needs and in as much detail as possible, so she can try and marry them up with evidence in Mum's medical records.... and criteria in the Needs Portrayal Document. It was a nightmare to put together and took weeks for me to do in line with the NPD. Going back there in my mind was also upsetting, as you can imagine.... but I completed a section at a time until it was done.

The NHS seem to be a tad awkward about releasing her archived medical records at the moment. Fortunately, there are detailed copies of all records from the Home where Mum lived though..... which I'm hoping they won't be able to fight too hard. My reckoning is.... it's gonna take another couple of years. The way this Government's going, by that time we may not even have an NHS :-/
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Finally, after all these years of fighting, challenging and appealing.... a partial success and my late Mum was in fact eligible for continuous care for the first 18 months of her care. This is quite arse about face however, since her condition never improved - but according to the NHS, her nursing care needs somehow morphed into the social care needs of severe cognitive decline (hint of sarcasm there). Such a load of shite....

Getting the NHS to pay out anything however may yet prove difficult - I've been told they ask for invoices..... from 15 years ago? They're having a laugh surely? I have evidence that fees were paid from my late mother's bank account via her solicitor who had Power of Attorney - and I'd like to think this would be enough but we'll see.

What a journey this has been..... ending with me sitting in front of a Panel meeting at the back end of last year going through all of my late Mum's history yet again. It's put fighting the debt collection industry completely in the shade by comparison, I can tell you.....

Just thought I'd let you all know :-)
      Remember the mantra:

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
        Finally, after all these years of fighting, challenging and appealing.... a partial success and my late Mum was in fact eligible for continuous care for the first 18 months of her care. This is quite arse about face however, since her condition never improved - but according to the NHS, her nursing care needs somehow morphed into the social care needs of severe cognitive decline (hint of sarcasm there). Such a load of shite....

Getting the NHS to pay out anything however may yet prove difficult - I've been told they ask for invoices..... from 15 years ago? They're having a laugh surely? I have evidence that fees were paid from my late mother's bank account via her solicitor who had Power of Attorney - and I'd like to think this would be enough but we'll see.

What a journey this has been..... ending with me sitting in front of a Panel meeting at the back end of last year going through all of my late Mum's history yet again. It's put fighting the debt collection industry completely in the shade by comparison, I can tell you.....

Success is still success however partial and however long it's taken.

You're Mum would be proud of you Priority One.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post

so glad you got something back.

my mum passed just 12 months ago, it was a fight getting her into a home, Social worker was unable to understand the fact Mum was wandering over to neighbours in the middle of the night, in freezing weather, also stood in the rain cutting the hedge, because she thought the council would throw her out. and DON'T get me started on the care at home crowd,

Hope you are keeping well, nice to hear from you xxx

Comment

Thank you for your kind words both of you.... xxx I'll come back with updates as they happen - but it may not be for a while. The Panel meeting was very considerate - I had no complaints at all over how I was treated last year. It was just painful to have to re-live it all again.

I'm so sorry about your Mum, Nightwatch - it's never easy xx
            Remember the mantra:

Comment

Working...
            X