• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gambling

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Yes, I can see two ways that might work:
    1. relaxation therapy, to help him to avoid the desire to gamble
    2. planting a post-hypnotic suggestion so that, whenever he enters a gambling establishment or a bookmakers, he drops his trousers and craps on the floor. This will soon get him banned everywhere.
    i sincerely hope she doesn't plant that thought in his head very funny....

Comment

Trust Cloggy to see a funny side, but we know he means well,

big hugs Conf, I also had a brother with a drink problem so can understand your concerns, sadly depression set in and he went down hill, no matter what we said, he thought he wasn't worth the effort, I used to take the nightshift when he was realy bad, hence the name, sadly he died of his addiction, best wishes to your brother he is atleast getting some help xxx
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
        Trust Cloggy to see a funny side, but we know he means well,

big hugs Conf, I also had a brother with a drink problem so can understand your concerns, sadly depression set in and he went down hill, no matter what we said, he thought he wasn't worth the effort, I used to take the nightshift when he was realy bad, hence the name, sadly he died of his addiction, best wishes to your brother he is atleast getting some help xxx
        oh no nightwatch i'm so sorry to hear that it's very hard to watch someone you love hurting themselves. I'm sorry if this thread was too close to the bone for you xxx

Comment

conf it's not a problem,yes it still upsets me but like cloggy I look at the funny side of life, not always at the right time, so sometimes i upset people when I don't mean to.
          but my heart is in the right place xx (a large bucket by the back door)
          It's my brain that causes the problem xxxx
          Last edited by nightwatch; 9 April 2012, 17:46.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
            conf it's not a problem,yes it still upsets me but like cloggy I look at the funny side of life, not always at the right time, so sometimes i upset people when I don't mean to.
            but my heart is in the right place xx (a large bucket by the back door)
            It's my brain that causes the problem xxxx
            Humour is what gets us through life i think. I'm always putting my foot in it....and my heart isn't in the right place believe it or not...it's on the wrong side of my body!

Comment

Hi hun

I can't really say much more than that has already been said and he is lucky to have a supportive family around him.

We're all here for you
              xx

Comment

Originally posted by LooLoo View Post
                Hi hun

I can't really say much more than that has already been said and he is lucky to have a supportive family around him.

We're all here for you
                xx
                thanks Loo xxx

Comment

I know what it's like to have an addictive personality. It's not good. I don't know where your brother is gambling but what i do know is that the "good" amusement arcades spend a lot of money in making people feel comfortable . I know of one that even goes so far as buying customers lunch!.
                  I didn't use to believe in it, but CBT is excellent and in my area is available on the NHS, if you can wait that long. It is no quick fix but it does work if you are prepared to put the effort in.

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                    I know what it's like to have an addictive personality. It's not good. I don't know where your brother is gambling but what i do know is that the "good" amusement arcades spend a lot of money in making people feel comfortable . I know of one that even goes so far as buying customers lunch!.
                    I didn't use to believe in it, but CBT is excellent and in my area is available on the NHS, if you can wait that long. It is no quick fix but it does work if you are prepared to put the effort in.
                    He gambles online doesn't even need to leave the house to do it. For someone with a gambling problem online gambling really does make it far too easy

I'll mention CBT to him and see if i can perhaps persuade him to try for it, thanks x

Comment

The private therapist that your brother's going to see should be able to work out what type of therapy will be best for him.

CBT is excellent for breaking past habit patterns.... but he also needs to understand why these developed in the first place.

Psychodynamic therapy may be useful at uncovering past traumas/events here..... and when combined with CBT, is very powerful.
                      Remember the mantra:
                      NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
                      Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
                      Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

Being completely serious, I rather doubt that any form of treatment will stop an addicted gambler from gambling.

Regression hypnosis merely allows the subconscious to invent 'memories' that probably never happened. It might be possible for some subjects to interfere with their perception, such that all playing cards (and images thereof) appear blank, or that a roulette wheel becomes a buzz-saw blade that will attack him.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                          Being completely serious, I rather doubt that any form of treatment will stop an addicted gambler from gambling.

Regression hypnosis merely allows the subconscious to invent 'memories' that probably never happened. It might be possible for some subjects to interfere with their perception, such that all playing cards (and images thereof) appear blank, or that a roulette wheel becomes a buzz-saw blade that will attack him.
                          Psychodynamic therapy is not regression hypnosis Cloggy....
                          Remember the mantra:

Comment

From my experience of CBT it does allow you to work out why these patterns start. There is a really good book on amazon called overcoming low self esteem by Melanie Fennel who is a leader in her field. It is about £6 but to be honest I found I needed the qualified therapist to help me work through it initially.

It is all about identifying your core beliefs , how they were formed and how they influence your behaviour. Then experimenting on breaking out of that behaviour .
                            That is probably over simplistic and sorry if anyone feels I have dumbed it down too much

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                              From my experience of CBT it does allow you to work out why these patterns start. There is a really good book on amazon called overcoming low self esteem by Melanie Fennel who is a leader in her field. It is about £6 but to be honest I found I needed the qualified therapist to help me work through it initially.

It is all about identifying your core beliefs , how they were formed and how they influence your behaviour. Then experimenting on breaking out of that behaviour .
                              That is probably over simplistic and sorry if anyone feels I have dumbed it down too much
                              Books are ok.... but won't help an addictive personality. Breaking out of old patterns of behaviour is very hard work and a long process that needs intensive support from/with a Cogno-Behavioural Therapist. That's assuming that CBT is the way to go..... it may not be.

There are many fields of psychology (as mentioned earlier) but some of the best therapists are those that combine more than one approach to treatment.
                              Remember the mantra:

Comment

thanks for your comments everyone... xx

Comment

Working...
                                X