GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Fear new 'stealth tax' will force drivers to pay £288 a year to just to park at work - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fear new 'stealth tax' will force drivers to pay £288 a year to just to park at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear new 'stealth tax' will force drivers to pay £288 a year to just to park at work

Drivers could be forced to pay £288 a year just to park their cars at work as a new 'stealth tax' stalks employees across Britain. The levy was launched yesterday by Nottingham City Council and could be rolled out nationwide, affecting thousands of offices. Firms will now have to pay the heavy fee for each parking space they provide if they offer more than ten to their staff. The scheme could cost businesses £3.4billion if it is brought in across the UK, leaving motoring groups fearing that the charge will be passed on to workers. It is hoped that the news will be an added incentive for employees to use public transport - but the AA has labelled the charges a 'tax on work', according to the Daily Express.

The blow comes at a time when motorists are facing crippling petrol prices and chaos on the forecourts amid fears of a national strike. AA president Edmund King said yesterday: 'Employers and employees already pay vehicle excise duty, fuel duty, company car tax and income tax. The Government believes "Britain is open for business" but this additional tax on work suggest that Nottingham is not open for business. 'This damaging tax on work should be stopped – it will hurt the economy and hit employees who can’t afford it.' Three-quarters of 19,000 AA members polled said the fees were a bad idea and should be scrapped, while 84 per cent agreed it was just 'another way of taxing people who work.' The British Chamber of Commerce branded the charges a 'stealth tax' for already struggling workers....Read more here---: Work parking levy: Fear new 'stealth tax' will force drivers to pay £288 a year
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Fear new 'stealth tax' will force drivers to pay £288 a year to just to park at work

I'll be parking round the corner then if this goes nationwide.... stupid feckin' Government!
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Re: Fear new 'stealth tax' will force drivers to pay £288 a year to just to park at work

And yet again they get away with it, and we do nothing, i really think we should start getting fluoride filters for our water because SOMETHING is making as put up with all this crap!!

Comment

I fear that nothing short of a rev olution will stop the current lot of politicians doing what they like. Even when the public act together (within the law) as with eg38degrees and the petition re the nhs, the government simply ignore their own guidelines and do exactly what they want to. Oh, and if you are eavesdropping on this forum, Mr. government 'we-are-looking-after-national-security' I DON'T CARE! I don't trust you and I don't believe a word you say.

Comment

We need to firstly get out of the mindset that e-petitions do ANYTHING.

You only have to look on the e-petition website to notice, that every single reply by goverment dodges a reason why they will or will not do what the petition asks, but simply replys with a reason for why they are doing it. This is not democratic, that is dictatorship.

When VAT dropped to 15% a year or two ago, the then labour goverment increased duty on fuel by 2p to counter it.

When VAT went back up to 17.5% this was never removed, an e-petition was made at the time asking for it to be removed.

It took 3 months for the goverment to reply, by that time, there was an election and the condems were in.

Rather than giving a reason for it, or why it shouldnt be removed, they simply stated "it was something the previous goverment done".

Thats not an excuse, but the trouble is, there is no right to reply, once they answer thats it. and without getting another 100,000 to re peition, theres nothing you can do.

If enough of us actually took to the streets in a peaceful protest, they would have no choice but to listen, WE elect them, and WE have a right in law to chuck them out.

Im not saying there would be anyone worth replacing them with, because they are all the same. So maybe its time we created a new goverment that is run by the people by way of proxy.

Comment

Working...
          X