GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Tax credits potential payment - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tax credits potential payment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax credits potential payment

I think I should ask for some advice on this before it all goes tits up.

Last year (2012-2013) I claimed working tax credits because the previous year (2011-2012) I didn't earn much, not important why but I earned only £12,250 and figured I'd apply for working tax credits, even though last year I was earning way over the threshold.

I received 3 payments only before I switched jobs and was on JSA for 3 weeks. This stopped my working tax credits and I never restarted them.

2 months ago a received a letter from HMRC saying I should have been paid £367.21 last year, I didn't really read the letter but called them, they advisor told me I didn't have to do anything, so I didn't.

I dug it out last night while packing and read it, it says they will issue an automatic renewal as long as nothing has changed. Well it has, I was well over the threshold 2012-2013. So I gave them a call.

The advisor said I have a potential payment of £262.77 and will be paid once the automatic renewal is processed. Now this is where my question is.

If this is for the year 2011-2012 where I didn't earn a lot so I was entitled, am I allowed to accept this payment? Or because I earn too much as of last year, am I not entitled and this is something pretty bad? I haven't had any payments and told the advisor what I earn now and last year but was told this won't affect the in process payment...

Re: Tax credits potential payment

Not an expert with tax credits but the payment may be back dated so it's paid as when u needed it not whether u do now.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
    X