GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Police request for driver information - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police request for driver information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Police request for driver information

Originally posted by billytommo View Post
    Got done a few weeks ago doing 74 in a temporary 50 on the motorway in the middle of the night. Can't say for sure if all of the signs were correctly placed, lit up, etc. Looks like it's going to court
    Go to your local authority/council (assuming it was near home) and ask them for a copy of the "Temporary Planning Order" that enabled the enforcement of the reduced speed restriction. If there is no such order, the limit cannot be enforced.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Ok I was told at the speed awareness course that temp speed restrictions due to Road works for example can't be enforced as they are suggested speed limits and not set in stone. I don't know the rules surrounding the speed cameras they put up but that's what I was told. Did the speed signs have a red circle round the speed limit? Apparently again if it doesn't it's unenforceable.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

The stretch of motorway concerned is the best part of 100 miles from where I live so I would have to weigh up whether it was worth a special trip. I have received and returned the NIP and then received a court summons. It does state that the offence comes under the "M6/M6 Toll Motorways (M6 Junction 10a-13) (Temporary Restriction and Prohibition of Traffic) order 2013".

Can't remember the signs and whether they were lit or had red borders. I know that there is a lot that they can be challenged on with these kind of things as one box not ticked and you spot it then it gets kicked out but it's having the balls to do it as, if you lose, the financial penalties don't bear thinking about

Comment

I have had a look and upon investigation, the stretch of motorway has had a "variable mandatory speed limit (VMSL)" system implemented. From what I can gather, this system can be in one of three states: normal, VMSL to manage congestion or incident management. If these signs were on, which one has to presume they were, surely it has to be under incident management circumstances as there couldn't possibly have been congestion at 03:30 in the morning! I wonder if a log is kept of when these signs are switched to whatever mode and the reasons(s) for so doing??? Or am I simply flogging a dead horse??

Comment

Originally posted by billytommo View Post
            I have had a look and upon investigation, the stretch of motorway has had a "variable mandatory speed limit (VMSL)" system implemented. From what I can gather, this system can be in one of three states: normal, VMSL to manage congestion or incident management. If these signs were on, which one has to presume they were, surely it has to be under incident management circumstances as there couldn't possibly have been congestion at 03:30 in the morning! I wonder if a log is kept of when these signs are switched to whatever mode and the reasons(s) for so doing??? Or am I simply flogging a dead horse??
            Don't think its a dead horse.

As you say, unlikely to be congestion, but I would think you would have noticed big flashing signs on the gantry.

Could it have been an average speed camera? Know they have those on the M6

Comment

It was the average speed cameras I think. It states the stretch of motorway as I said so, a bit of searching on the internet and I've come to the conclusion that it must be the electronic speed signs on gantries above the motorway. They are intended, so they say, to smooth out traffic and stop it becoming stop-start, in the event of congestion or incidents, for example. I can vaguely remember passing them but I'd just travelled over 100 miles to get to that point, out of a total journey distance of well over 200 miles. Is anyone going to remember their whole journey?

Comment

Working...
              X