GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Lenders given fast-track to switch your unpaid credit card debt on to your property - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lenders given fast-track to switch your unpaid credit card debt on to your property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reform to bankruptcy removes court process for debtor petitions

At first instance the judge had held that Mr
    Brandon's defence on this issue could not be
    dismissed as "unreal". Further American Express'
    argument that the 14 day period in the default
    notice ran from the service of the notice as
    opposed to the date of the notice could not be
    accepted. Mr Brandon had much the better of the
    argument on that point. Also if, as a matter of
    construction, the default notice did not allow the
    minimum statutory period to remedy the breach
    then it was (at least) realistically arguable that the
    defect could not be overlooked as de minimus.

Comment

Re: Lenders given fast-track to switch your unpaid credit card debt on to your property

Does it make much difference?

We currently have a way for creditors to magically turn unsecured debt into secured debt:

debt -> default -> ccj -> co or as a super bogof deal in my case
      debt -> default -> ccj+co

Now we also have a way for creditors to magically turn unsecured debt into secured debt:

debt -> default -> ccj+co

In all cases they can't proceed beyond these points unless you don't maintain the terms of the CCJ. All this seems to do is to make it easier for creditors to apply a little more pressure on unaware debtors with the threat of a CO. Admittedly not good but shouldn't cause anyone any issues. Should it?

As to the requirements for forcing a sale, I don't see that changes, after all was it ever that difficult to get a CO?

Anyways, the raison d'etre for allabout forums just became so much greater!

Comment

Re: Lenders given fast-track to switch your unpaid credit card debt on to your property

Oh Dear....

Don't like this at all.

Comment

Originally posted by snudgerchops View Post
          Oh Dear....

Don't like this at all.
          Don't worry, we'll just have to try harder to stop the bastards getting a CCJ won't we.... I'm working on it (in a long list of 'to-dos')....

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Not a good situation indeed Will make jobs like Pauls a lot harder !

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
              Will make jobs like Pauls a lot harder !
              and hopefully in response, make firms like Paul's more profitable in the process at the banks/DCA's expense.

Lets not forget the simple matter of a £5k debt landing a DCA with £50k costs

Serves em right!

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I understood that a charging order could not be made if their was a joint mortgage, or joint ownership of a property. And the debt was in only one name. Am I correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
                  I understood that a charging order could not be made if their was a joint mortgage, or joint ownership of a property. And the debt was in only one name. Am I correct?
                  Yes, you must get one CCJ per account holder if it is joint. If the debt is sole but the house is joint then tough - they're snookered

Comment

T999 - I deleted your last post as it was a copy/paste from CAG which is not what we want here, we do not trust the data provided by that source.

Please don't copy/paste info - most of us here know what we're on about so copying & pasting random info actually clogs the threads and confuses matters more.

Thanks

Comment

No probs Niddy...it was a copy & paste from the MSE site and not CAG....apologies for confusing the thread....lord knows we don't want anymore confusion on this subject hey

Comment

Originally posted by transformer999 View Post
                        No probs Niddy...it was a copy & paste from the MSE site and not CAG....apologies for confusing the thread....lord knows we don't want anymore confusion on this subject hey
                        It was consumer wiki which is CAG

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          It was consumer wiki which is CAG

...so it is I see....

Comment

Yes, you must get one CCJ per account holder if it is joint. If the debt is sole but the house is joint then tough - they're snookered
                            that's good then because the charge on ours is only my husbands debt , also we had a reply from the court and we are applying for a hearing as far as we can see we get the fee waived which is £80 because of our low wages and tax credits, now what the outcome will be who knows, but we will try and get it lowered as much as we can .
                            I just can't understand why the judge could lower it from £27.77 down to £20.00 a month but he needs a hearing to lower it more ?

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
                              that's good then because the charge on ours is only my husbands debt , also we had a reply from the court and we are applying for a hearing as far as we can see we get the fee waived which is £80 because of our low wages and tax credits, now what the outcome will be who knows, but we will try and get it lowered as much as we can .
                              I just can't understand why the judge could lower it from £27.77 down to £20.00 a month but he needs a hearing to lower it more ?
                              Sorry, are you saying they have a charge against a joint mortgage/house yet the debt (ccj) is in your husbands sole name - please clarify this for me? Going on the above, that is what you suggest....

Comment

Sorry, are you saying they have a charge against a joint mortgage/house yet the debt (ccj) is in your husbands sole name - please clarify this for me? Going on the above, that is what you suggest....

correct , the debt is in husband's name only and is a ccj/charge on the house , our mortgage is in joint names.

Comment

Working...
                                X