GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Walsh1's UE Diary - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walsh1's UE Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walsh1's UE Diary

That was a contractual payment Niddy so as I understand it it's SB 6yrs from first missed payment on 6th September when cause of action accrued?

Comment

Had the letter from Lowell Financial this morning. The we are here to help one, no threats so far.

It's a 101 code and also states 1/2, so another must be on the way shortly.

Should I do anything or just sit tight

Comment

Sit tight, it's no threat

Comment

Thanks for that, will do lol

Comment

Today in North London a Claim was dismissed by a District Judge, it wasnt because of a breach of s78, or a defective default notice, but for a reason which should have been flagged up pre issue, it should have been noticed by those reviewing the file before even serving a letter of claim and it goes to show that it is important to comply with the pre action protocols or get your ass whooped if you dont.
            The problem faced by this claimant was as follows.
            The Claimant had sued Mrs and claimed that Mrs owed them money arising out of an agreement. On request for documentation there was a wall of silence, with the only response being "were taking instructions" accordingly the only defence the client could lodge was a simple "i have no idea what they are talking about"
            The Court clearly picked up that there was an issue or two, as it called a preliminary hearing (which took place today)
            In the run up to the hearing, the opponents provided limited disclosures, in the form of statements, the statements showed that the account was a joint account and therefore the claimants claim fell into real difficulties, why? well s141 (5) Consumer Credit Act 1974 requires all parties to a regulated agreement are party to any proceedings. The problem this claimant faced is that it sued Mrs but not Mr, furthermore, Mr's account had not been assigned to the Claimant, so it couldnt join Mr to proceedings ( see Pickthall v Hill Dickinson) and in addition, since proceedings had been issued, the Claimant could not go back and pursue Mr later , in short the claim was a mess and once proceedings had been issued the Claimant lost any chance of getting its house in order.
            Accordingly, at the CMC today the Judge dismissed the Claim on the basis that even though the claim may have had merit, the fact the Claimant did not get its house in order and make sure the assignment was carried out correctly to ensure it had a claim against both parties, meant that the claim could never succeed at trial.

Last edited by Never-In-Doubt; 24 August 2014, 18:06. Reason: removed links
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I can't work out what the hell is going on here. It appears to have less than two weeks to go before it reaches SB, yet the account holder is sending out “we're here to help!” letters???

It is possible that some idiot hasn't read the case file properly, and they've overlooked the proximity of the SB date. It is also possible that they know exactly where they stand, have no intention of issuing court papers, and are just trying to be all warm and fluffy to get a token payment which would wipe out five years, eleven months, and two weeks of inactivity. Ouch!

I agree with the suggestion to sit tight. I know it must be bloody hard to do, but I think the odds are stacked in your favour with this one.

However, I'm not entirely sure of the Statute Barring date. The fact that the last payment was made on 6th August would not mean that payments were due on the 6th of each month. Cap One statements usually require a minimum payment by the 30th of each month. It may be that the payment on 6th August was a late payment for the bill due on 30th July, In which case, the first missed payment would be 30th August, and the SB date – tomorrow.

Whatever the case, I don't believe you've much to worry about.

SH

Comment

Thanks for that Scabhunter. U could be right. The last payment was 6/08/08 but they charged £12 on the same statement for Late payment. This was on the statement dated 09/08/08. The late payment was dated 04/08/08

Comment

Originally posted by Walsh1 View Post
                  Thanks for that Scabhunter. U could be right. The last payment was 6/08/08 but they charged £12 on the same statement for Late payment. This was on the statement dated 09/08/08. The late payment was dated 04/08/08
                  What is absolutely certain is that you haven't made any payments since 6th August 2008.

As Cap One bills become due for at least a minimum payment on the 30th of each month (except February), there would presumably have been another payment due on 30th August 2008. This was obviously the first missed payment, and so constitutes the “cause of action.”

That is why I believe that the statute barring date is 31st August 2014, which just happens to be today!

If you come online today, Walsh1, I'd suggest popping into the Statute Bar for a pint. There can scarcely have been a more appropriate occasion!

SH

Comment

Originally posted by ScabHunter View Post
                    What is absolutely certain is that you haven't made any payments since 6th August 2008.

As Cap One bills become due for at least a minimum payment on the 30th of each month (except February), there would presumably have been another payment due on 30th August 2008. This was obviously the first missed payment, and so constitutes the “cause of action.”

That is why I believe that the statute barring date is 31st August 2014, which just happens to be today!

If you come online today, Walsh1, I'd suggest popping into the Statute Bar for a pint. There can scarcely have been a more appropriate occasion!

SH
                    Hi ScabHunter, thanks for that, hope you are correct. Just got a feeling they are up to something, what, I don't know. So will just keep quiet and bide my time. will post up any further developments

Comment

Hi everyone, been at hosp all day. Got home to a nice letter from Lowell Financial.
                      No threats just we need to help u letter. Please get in touch and arrange a repayment plan, this is because otherwise it will affect any chance u have of future credit lol.
                      So should I still sit and wait, it is SB on Sunday

Comment

Ignore
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that Niddy

Comment

It actually went SB last Sunday.

I agree with ignoring this one, as it clearly doesn't constitute a threat. I wouldn't leave it too long before sending an SB letter, though. They can be trigger happy with Statutory Demands, and that is just aggravation you don't need.

SH

Comment

Thanks ScabHunter, when would u send the SB letter, and is there a template and where do u find it. Can't find it in templates, maybe me dumb lol

Comment

Just ignore as Niddy says for now, they're not threatening anything at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X