A lesson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lesson

So today I received a text from Resolvecall asking me to contact them regarding an amount they claimed I owed. They said they were acting on some part of Intrum, in fact there was a letter from Intrum.

I knew this was not owed, there are several arguments, one being they showed statements with a zero balance but perhaps the most damning was in my files- you see I keep everything, every letter, every email, everything.

I will admit I did wonder what the best course of action was, silence, tell them it was SB or 'have words'

Back in April 2018 (yes almost 6 years ago) was a discount offer from Intrum (interestingly signed by the same person who signed the interim letter today). Tucked away at the bottom of the letter was the following
    You should be aware that the period for recovering your debt by court action has expired, so we wil not be issuing Court proceedings to enforce payment. However, your debt still exists and legally we are within our rights to continue to ask you for repayment.
    So 6 years ago the account was statute barred and they knew it.

So in my complaint that I am in the middle of writing I am quoting (and including copies) of the letters and also this

CONC 7.15.5.If the lender or owner has been in regular contact with the customer during the limitation period, the firm may continue to attempt to recover the debt- I certainly do not call 5 years and 11 months regular contact

CONC 7.15.6 A firm must endeavour to ensure that it does not mislead a customer as to the customer's rights and obligations.- Well not sure about you but most people would find the threat of a doorstep visit quite intimidating

CONC 7.15.8 A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred- well don't know about anyone else but they told me

Moral of the story
    Keep records

I have decided to 'have words' so an email to both resolve call and Intrum is going with all the offending letters. I might just pop a copy in the post if I do not receive a reply . I have asked for a reasonable resolution, an apology, a commitments to never darken my door again and 'recompense for the distress'

I hope you manage to make them go away, but I didn't know this bit:

CONC 7.15.8 A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred - <snip>
    I'll certainly be making use of that in a couple of years when the DCAs come (metaphorically) knocking once my SB periods are difinitely up, so thanks for that.

Comment

I find CONC can be very useful but often is quite wishy washy however it is better than it used to be. Debt owners have people who know their rights.

Comment

Quick update
        Emails sent and auto acknowledgements received so I know they have them. The clock is ticking.

Comment

Working...
        X