GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Failed IVA, very old debt - can I be chased for it. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed IVA, very old debt - can I be chased for it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Failed IVA, very old debt - can I be chased for it.

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
    I never thought something would lower my opinion of Lowells even father then it already is.

That incompetence is just mindblowing!
    Do you know why? yet again, same old mess-up as always, they had around 7 different advisers dealing with it so one was saying X whilst the other was saying Z - polite way of saying the left arm didn't know what the right was doing!

I suppose in a way the fact they (debtors) were sending so many letters in, it was only a matter of time before the poor staff at Lowells got confused. So IIRC it started with Mrs paying over the phone 4 months prior to Limitation kicking in, MR refused this and wrote in after 6 years saying his was SB and they wrote back agreeing, Mrs then wrote in and offered £1750 as F&F as it was Statute Barred and they wrote back accepting it. She paid, they then wrote back thanking her and confirming the whole account was now partially settled and closed. They even removed it from the CRA's (but as it was 6+ years old, it'd have gone anyway)...

So if you are still following, count the errors.....

Lowells, competent? I'm saying nuffin guv
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      Lowells, competent? I'm saying nuffin guv
      OK - how about culpable?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
        OK - how about culpable?
        Perfect
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Right... Update

Got hold of deft free direct today after many phone calls. They officially failed my IVA on the 04.05.2007 - although I am certain I made no more payments after August 2006. Now I also found this on another forum from an advisor to a person with a similar problem.

Not sure about forum rules, so I won't post the link...

'The rules surrounding statute barred debts seem to be murky and unproven. However, my current understanding of the Limitations Act 1980 (which is where the statute barred legislation hails from) is that the clock starts ticking from the time the creditor stated that the debt was in default and demanded full payment. If 6 years has passed but the creditor has made no further attempt to enforce the debt (ie not taken out a further CCJ against you) then the debt becomes statute barred whether a payment has been made towards the debt or not. If a CCJ is taken out, the 6 year clock starts from then again.'

Comment

Originally posted by brewster0101 View Post
            'The rules surrounding statute barred debts seem to be murky and unproven. However, my current understanding of the Limitations Act 1980 (which is where the statute barred legislation hails from) is that the clock starts ticking from the time the creditor stated that the debt was in default and demanded full payment. If 6 years has passed but the creditor has made no further attempt to enforce the debt (ie not taken out a further CCJ against you) then the debt becomes statute barred whether a payment has been made towards the debt or not. If a CCJ is taken out, the 6 year clock starts from then again.'
            Nonsense, it is from the date of first missed due payment on the account, ie officially the starting point before any action (default) can be taken, so basically within 30 days of your last payment, is when the clock starts. ONLY making admission to the debt (not you as a person, ie SAR request etc) will affect it. Therefore sending a letter in saying I paid my debt back in 2005 IS admittance, as is sending a payment.

Otherwise, start counting 6yrs from the date of the very first missed payment.

Comment

See this - and pay attention to the quote from CC ---> allaboutFORUMS - View Single Post - Helmsman UE Diary

Comment

This post from Paul may also help.

Originally posted by Paul. View Post
                Ok, attached is a case that assists with limitation debates that can arise.

Many DCAs will argue that limitation accrues from the time when the "default notice" is issued. It does not. Simple as that.

Limitation clock starts ticking from when the payment is due and not paid not when they send a default notice.

We see often that CRA entries will date 5 or 6 months ahead of when the payment was missed.

People need to be sure that they arent being hoodwinked and that the DCA is extending limitation so they can sue when they are not allowed to.
                Swansea_City_Council_v_Glass._-_[1992]_2_All.pdf
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for everyone with their input - great help as always.

All these debts I had defaulted a while ago and no longer even appear on my credit file. They all defaulted over 6 years ago, even my failed IVA no longer appears on my credit file. My credit file is actually 100% clean apart from a NEXT account that they set up in error a few years back - but this is down as 100% green / ok and closed.

I am trying to evaluate the risks of putting my name officially on the electoral roll. I am trying to figure if I can just ignore these DCA's even if technically they know for sure where I live.

Comment

Not sure about forum rules, so I won't post the link...
                    To protect the guilty?

As well as the other comments about this tiresome twaddle:

... it may be worthwhile pointing out that, despite various attempts by the swivel service and the kakistocracy then in power, it is still not quite possible for creditors to issue or "take out" a CCJ by themselves. It still requires a court.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      ... it may be worthwhile pointing out that, despite various attempts by the swivel service and the kakistocracy then in power, it is still not quite possible for creditors to issue or "take out" a CCJ by themselves. It still requires a court.
                      Can't a DCA issue a default though against debt again - even if its already been defaulted.

Comment

they can put their name on the default but can't change the date, and its one default per debt, end of.

Comment

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
                          they can put their name on the default but can't change the date, and its one default per debt, end of.
                          Sorry, but let me double check I understand that.

If the original creditor has defaulted the debt already and this time (6 years )has passed, then a DCA can't default it again. They can't place a CCJ on my record (without the courts approval).

Is there anything I should really be concerned about?

Comment

Sorry, but let me double check I understand that.

If the original creditor has defaulted the debt already and this time (6 years )has passed, then a DCA can't default it again. They can't place a CCJ on my record (without the courts approval).
                            No. They can't.
                            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

This whole process is explained in the default section. Basically you can only be defaulted once for each debt, ie account, no matter how many times it changes hands/gets sold. That default lasts 6 years and pretty much sits there whether you pay or not until such time it gets superseded by say a CCJ.

So, lets say you're already 6+ years into the default then there will be no record of it, however they could still get a ccj after this, because although the default will have expired, it may not be statute barred thus they can still enforce it - so the only marker that could affect the default would be a ccj.

However, lets say you ignore a lender for a full 6 years then the debt becomes statute barred and the default would also drop off leaving this debt finished - dead - whatever you want to call it.

Make sense? One debt = one course of action (i.e. default / ccj)

Comment

And based on the fact that in the over 4 years they've been trying to contact me, they haven't issued a court order or CCJ - One would assume they aren't going to and have no plans too.

Comment

Working...
                                X