GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Failed IVA, very old debt - can I be chased for it. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed IVA, very old debt - can I be chased for it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Failed IVA, very old debt - can I be chased for it.

Thanks Niddy. What you've said is what I was thinking.

I have recently put myself on the electrol Roll as my credit file no longer shows any defaults or the IVA, so I thought I would start to get a step in on the credit ladder again. I think this is why Lowell started sending me letters.

I will continue to send them back for now. I have no reason to apply for any form of credit so I am not concerned about this for now.

Thanks for your input Niddy.

Comment

Rizzle - why delete that post? It was spot on mate
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
        I want to double check the meaning of the last part of that SOL clause.

Doesn't change the fact that this is most likely NOT statute barred though...

Just don't want to post the right thing for the wrong reasons, if you see what I mean?
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Ahh I get you however it was exactly what would answer the point and was well stated - was hoping you've kept it so you can re-post? Thanks - really useful, and you know it'll be how you originally interpreted it and like we agree on - it's still more than likely within limitation period so best to stay off the radar until definitely after august 2012 (6yrs)...
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

it's still more than likely within limitation period so best to stay off the radar until definitely after august 2012 (6yrs)...
            Advise heard and understood.

Comment

Originally posted by brewster0101 View Post
              Advise heard and understood.
              Keep popping back cos Rizzle found a useful bit of legislation and will post it when he clarifies a finer point (hopefully)....

But in essence, just continue as you have done to date and await a full 6 years from August 2006

Comment

Any new thoughts on this ?

Comment

OK. The clock resets itself on either payment or acknowledgement of the debt.

The question is.... what payment or acknowledgement by who to who counts?

This is what the Act has to say....

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/58

(5) Subject to subsection (6) below, where any right of action has accrued to recover—
                  (a) any debt or other liquidated pecuniary claim; or

(b) any claim to the personal estate of a deceased person or to any share or interest in any such estate;
                  and the person liable or accountable for the claim acknowledges the claim or makes any payment in respect of it the right shall be treated as having accrued on and not before the date of the acknowledgment or payment.
                  30 Formal provisions as to acknowledgments and part payments.

(1) To be effective for the purposes of section 29 of this Act, an acknowledgment must be in writing and signed by the person making it.

(2) For the purposes of section 29, any acknowledgment or payment—
                  (a) may be sent by the agent of the person by whom it is required to be made under that section; and

(b) shall be made to the person, or to an agent of the person, whose title or claim is being acknowledged or, as the case may be, in respect of whose claim the payment is being made.
                  Last edited by Riz; 10 April 2011, 17:01.
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks Rizzle, perfecto

Comment

So, looking at that, it seems at first glance that any acknowledgement or payment must be made to the creditor or their agent.

And that acknowledgement or payment would be effective if it was made to the creditor by the IVA company acting on your behalf.

Now it's clear that the IVA company didn't make any payments, so that rules that out and just leaves acknowledgement.

I would be very surprised if the IVA company did not write to creditors at some point acknowledging the debts. They would have had to do so at the start of the IVA, and presumably would have written to them again when it failed?

So that would mean effective acknowledgement was likely at the end of the IVA period at least.

I suppose it's possible that the IVA company could have been completely negligent, but I doubt it.

Then there is the bit I wanted to check and haven't got round to yet.

or, as the case may be, in respect of whose claim the payment is being made.
                      Any ideas what that actually means?

I have a sneaking suspicion that it may mean that payments/acknowledgement made to the IVA company may count after all?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the above waffle and water muddying.

I still think that this debt is probably not statute barred. It was just the reasoning as to exactly why that I was pondering.
                      Last edited by Riz; 10 April 2011, 17:18.

Comment

lol. That's still not hugely clear.

In a nutshell, I think it's not statute barred.

It's just I wasn't sure if that was for 1 or 2 reasons.

Comment

I explained it a lot better the first time.

Should have left it.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
                            Any ideas what that actually means?

I have a sneaking suspicion that it may mean that payments/acknowledgement made to the IVA company may count after all?
                            I agree, it suggests that if the IVA company make contact OR payments then it "counts"; however surely only if the IVA company contacted that particular agent (i.e. creditor)..... so say the IVA company was in charge of 10 accounts, and only made payment to 5 of them, the other 5 would not be counting towards SB unless the IVA agent actually contacted them and re-acknowledged the debt; which as you say they most probably did! That would apply regardless of payments being made as the initial acknowledgement broke the "timings" as such.

(sorry waffling as well now....)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the above waffle and water muddying.

I still think that this debt is probably not statute barred. It was just the reasoning as to exactly why that I was pondering.
                            I agree - it is definitely not SB'd and best to continue to ignore me thinks.....

Comment

I explained it a lot better the first time.

Should have left it.
                              Hah, agreed! But the principle makes sense - at least it's offered some closure and legible explanation which is all the OP needed really.

Thanks Rizzle

Comment

Hah, agreed! But the principle makes sense - at least it's offered some closure and legible explanation which is all the OP needed really.

Thanks Rizzle
                                Does clear things up. Since I originally posted this thread I contact the two debt collection agents to inform them they had the incorrect address. This was over 3 weeks ago and I've heard nothing since.

So, I got myself on the electrol register and avoided the debt agents for now... Bargain.

Thanks guys for all your input, hope it helps more people other than myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X