GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Failed IVA, very old debt - can I be chased for it. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed IVA, very old debt - can I be chased for it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Failed IVA, very old debt - can I be chased for it.

Best of luck, just keep off the radar, so to speak and you'll be home-free in no time at all
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Update - so just got the yearly Electrol roll register and the council did not add me when I sent the request in April.

Since then I've had maybe one/two letter from debt collectors. Both went back as return to sender.

Do we still think its ok for me to register. Its only 1 years away from been statued barred now!

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
        OK. The clock resets itself on either payment or acknowledgement of the debt.

The question is.... what payment or acknowledgement by who to who counts?

This is what the Act has to say....

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/58
        But there is also section 31 - link - to consider:
        (6) An acknowledgment of any debt or other liquidated pecuniary claim shall bind the acknowledgor and his successors but not any other person.

(7) A payment made in respect of any debt or other liquidated pecuniary claim shall bind all persons liable in respect of the debt or claim.
        The rapacious IVA company was the acknowledgor, wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by brewster0101 View Post
          Update - so just got the yearly Electrol roll register and the council did not add me when I sent the request in April.

Since then I've had maybe one/two letter from debt collectors. Both went back as return to sender.

Do we still think its ok for me to register. Its only 1 years away from been statued barred now!
          What would you gain, other than a say in which idiots are in power?

Comment

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
            Statute Barred debts become statute barred 6 years from the last date of acknowledgement or payment, if the IVA company didn't pay anybody, then there has been no acknowledgement. First thing I would want to know is where all the money you paid went????
            Switzerland?

Comment

Originally posted by swanfan View Post
              I think Mrs D's right about it being statue barred
              Any idea about whence to buy one of these barring statues of which I keep reading?

I'd like one for my garden.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                But there is also section 31 - link - to consider:

The rapacious IVA company was the acknowledgor, wasn't it?
                Yes, but if they are acting as your "agent" then the usual interpretation of the act is that it has the same effect as acknowledging it yourself. i.e. they are not treated as another person for the purposes of that section, as they are acting on your explicit authority.

The most usual application of the part of s31 you have quoted is where there is acknowledgement or part payment on a debt where their is joint liability.

So on a joint debt, acknowledgement by a person (or their agent) resets the clock regards claims against that person, but not any other signatory. A payment however resets the clock for both. Odd distinction, but there you go.
                Last edited by Riz; 26 August 2011, 07:18.
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yes, but if they are acting as your "agent" then the usual interpretation of the act is that it has the same effect as acknowledging it yourself. i.e. they are not treated as another person for the purposes of that section, as they are acting on your explicit authority.
                  A pity.

I might think more clearly after I've smoked a coffee and had a cup of cigarette.

Comment

The most usual application of the part of s31 you have quoted is where there is acknowledgement or part payment on a debt where their is joint liability.

So on a joint debt, acknowledgement by a person (or their agent) resets the clock regards claims against that person, but not any other signatory. A payment however resets the clock for both. Odd distinction, but there you go.
                    That's my interpretation of it as well, unfortunately.

I seen an example, whereby it was 5.8 months old (SB) and then the wife took a call and made a payment of £20 toward the debt (joint loan) - the hubby refused to acknowledge and then at the SB date, he basically denied his "half" resulting in only half the debt being due.

Point is, had the wife not paid, they'd both have been within the limitation period of statute barred, ie +6yrs. Shame

* Edit to add
                    The above outlines a DCA error - not the procedure - see the next few posts to see the outcome!
                    Last edited by Never-In-Doubt; 26 August 2011, 15:16. Reason: added note
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                      That's my interpretation of it as well, unfortunately.

I seen an example, whereby it was 5.8 months old (SB) and then the wife took a call and made a payment of £20 toward the debt (joint loan) - the hubby refused to acknowledge and then at the SB date, he basically denied his "half" resulting in only half the debt being due.

Point is, had the wife not paid, they'd both have been within the limitation period of statute barred, ie +6yrs. Shame
                      If she paid before the 6 years were up, then that would have restarted the 6 years clock for both of them. Not just her.

Payment binds all persons liable and restarts the clock.

You can't have just "half" the debt being due to it being SB with one party either. The other joint and severally liable person would be liable and could be taken to court for the lot.
                      Last edited by Riz; 26 August 2011, 15:09.
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

If she paid before the 6 years were up, then that would have restarted the 6 years clock for both of them. Not just her.
                        Exactly mate - but it never cos the DCA didn't know what they were doing, thus I am saying it was a huge error! But successful as he now has a letter confirming his half is extinguished (again a mistake as in England it doesn't become extinguished - thats in Scotland)

Serious, you couldn't make up some of the horror stories....

Comment

You can't have just "half" the debt being due to it being SB with one party either. The other joint and severally liable person would be liable and could be taken to court for the lot.
                          p.s. just to add from memory they paid around 20% of her half in settlement so the debt is now gone, but interestingly they "could" pursue it - however they now have a letter confirming the whole lot is cleared as a F&F

that was lowells by the way with a barclays debt of £22k loan

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                            Exactly mate - but it never cos the DCA didn't know what they were doing, thus I am saying it was a huge error! But successful as he now has a letter confirming his half is extinguished (again a mistake as in England it doesn't become extinguished - thats in Scotland)

Serious, you couldn't make up some of the horror stories....
                            Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Sorry. You should have said it was the DCA's error.

Jeeze! You couldn't get it more wrong if you tried.

Comment

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Sorry. You should have said it was the DCA's error.

Jeeze! You couldn't get it more wrong if you tried.
                              See my last post ^^^^

It gets better cos they took £1,750 F&F to clear the WHOLE loan (muppets)

Comment

I never thought something would lower my opinion of Lowells even father than it's already gone.

That incompetence is just mindblowing!

Comment

Working...
                                X