GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Elephant in the room - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elephant in the room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Elephant in the room

Just digressing a bit...does a contract need to have a determinate contracted period, ie not be open ended ?

I ask this in the context of those who have entered into a reduced payment period on outstanding balances on debts. I know of some cases where a notional payment of £1 per month has been 'arranged' and continued for in excess of 6 years...with no apparent end date....

This might be nonsense in 'rolling credit agreements', but thought I might ask the question anyway, not least because isn't one the prescribed terms that a repayment period is stated ?

Comment

Just harking back to the debate about s78 and so on...As i see it, the debtor is teasing the creditor with a CCA request , to see if they have the right documents.

If they have, then usually a course of action would follow..ie arrange a payment profile maybe (unless there is something else).

If the CCA request produces something questionable, then the debtor sniffs an 'opportunity' (if that is the right word). Like..well if they haven't even got the s78 stuff...etc

Paul alludes to having something more concrete...and of course the debtor can usually remember things from when they applied. But being aware (now) of what is important and what may be irrelevant may cause the debtor to try and think back at what he/she did or saw or had back then, more so if a s78 has failed to convince.

Then the pathway is, what did I receive, what did I sign etc etc...so a s78 actually acts as a catalyst for further enquiry in many respects. Rightly so too, because, as again has mentioned, you'll need more than a s78 non compliance if you are to defend. On a positive note,a DCA or OC that admits or reveals a s78 failure, may think twice about enforcing..and if they do not, then a debtor can be reassured I would think that s127 requirements are not compliant either.

Armed with that, why would you pay..it's like saying 'I dare you'..and if they do not dare, then I guess you can feel a little more comfortable..particularly if you know PT's were missing, or an agreement wasn't signed etc.

cat and mouse really..

Comment

I am sure we have all had , in reply to our S78 requests the reply " we can not at present fulfil your request and as such will not chase you until such time as we can produce an agreement"

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
          I am sure we have all had , in reply to our S78 requests the reply " we can not at present fulfil your request and as such will not chase you until such time as we can produce an agreement"
          Actually, a friend of mine has recently received a letter which more or less states that...... on a post-2007 debt.

Remember the mantra:
          NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
          Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
          Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

And who said DCAs had a brain.

Comment

Barclaycard have written to me regarding my agreement that was not signed on behalf of the Bank. I have a copy.

It is clear from the copy of your agreement that there are signs indicating our acceptance of your application, this is shown in the references added and the bar code attached, which confirm our acceptance and subsequent processing of your agreement.

We deem your credit agreement to be fully compliant and any allegations that it is not will be opposed.

Can anyone advise as to when the regulations were changed to replace a signature with a bar code?

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
                Can anyone advise as to when the regulations were changed to replace a signature with a bar code?
                There are no such regulations.....

The agreement needs to be signed by both you and the lender before it is deemed "executed".
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

My well educated DJ advised me that a date stamp was a bank signature!
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                    My well educated DJ advised me that a date stamp was a bank signature!
                    Your DJ was a twat then....?
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                      Your DJ was a twat then....?
                      a bit like our DJ , there's a lot of them around it seems :

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
                        a bit like our DJ , there's a lot of them around it seems :
                        well yea, but who would argue that point?

Its kinda slack to say the least, Carey - whilst sorting out the do's from the do not's, has done little else than confuse the uneducated (ie most bank staff) and allow fraud. In essence, no other industry in the world would allow you to create a false and inaccurate copy based on YOUR own records. If there are no records then fudge it and make it look good and we'll see you alreet kinda attitude.

It stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul. View Post
                          Well it may well be a good point there.

It would be good to explore every angle rather than just has there been non compliance with s78 and of course the opinion of others may well shed light on things too.

Lest not forget that there are many issues, such as

Is the agreement cancellable? were cancellation rights served and if not then that may render the agreement unenforceable forever and a day

Did the agreement that was signed contain the prescribed terms

Did the debtor sign an agreement?

Did the account get opened online? if so was it before 1st Jan 2005

Has there been any estoppal issues,

Has there been unfairness?

If one just looks at s78 one loses those points
                          Just caught up on this thread!

This is an interesting post and points that Paul raises, especially for those of us who struggled on with a DMP for some time and made efforts to pay back debts at affordable payments.

I'm very interested in the cancellation element. To memory I think I have only had one cancellation notice which was from Amex.

What agreements typically have cancellation rights? Credit Cards? Loans? This is an interesting point I'd like more info on!

The unfairness route is also worth exploring. If you take my current Shop Direct issues, I wrote to them on numerous occasions, to which they completely ignored almost all my correspondence, only writing once to refuse a payment proposal, and continued to slap charges and interest on the debt until it almost doubled.

Now I would consider this unfair by any stretch of the imagination!
                          "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

All consumer credit should have cancellation rights.

Is it s.64 CCA..?

edit: Consumer Credit Act 1974 s.64 <<- Linky

Comment

All consumer credit should have cancellation rights.

Is it s.64 CCA..?

edit: Consumer Credit Act 1974 s.64 <<- Linky
                              Thanks Niddy. So this is interesting, and for me makes it actually important to get a 'true copy' of the executed agreement, as if there are cancellation rights in the agreement then its important to see them.

So if a creditor serves a default notice on a debtor, would this be sufficient to classed as 'cancellation'?

Or does a debtor have to service a default notice and then send a cancellation notice?
                              "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

well yea, but who would argue that point?

Its kinda slack to say the least, Carey - whilst sorting out the do's from the do not's, has done little else than confuse the uneducated (ie most bank staff) and allow fraud. In essence, no other industry in the world would allow you to create a false and inaccurate copy based on YOUR own records. If there are no records then fudge it and make it look good and we'll see you alreet kinda attitude.

It stinks.
                                i would , its just as well my other half is at the court hearing over the charge and not me because i would be thrown out : :

Comment

Working...
                                X