GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Unenforcable?? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unenforcable??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you both - really appreciate your help!

Comment

PRA have told me that with regards to my Natwest Overdraft - they are "unable to fulfil my request for a copy agreement as current accounts do not require a credit agreement, therefore no credit agreement would have been set up when opening the account, such accounts are not included in the Consumer Credit Act 1974."

As mentioned in post #11 by Di - an overdraft is covered in s78. Any ideas what my next step is?

Debt No 2

Even though this was an overdraft you can still send the s 77-79 CCA Request since a recent county court judgment ruled that overdrafts are covered by s 78 Consumer Credit Act.

Read this post by Joanna Connolly >

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsH View Post
        PRA have told me that with regards to my Natwest Overdraft - they are "unable to fulfil my request for a copy agreement as current accounts do not require a credit agreement, therefore no credit agreement would have been set up when opening the account, such accounts are not included in the Consumer Credit Act 1974."

As mentioned in post #11 by Di - an overdraft is covered in s78. Any ideas what my next step is?

Your next step is to do nothing if this is the debt in post # 4.

(It helps the forum if you re-quote or Cut & Paste the history of each account when you have new information to add and update.)

Di

Comment

Hi Di - apologies, hope I've done it correctly this time...

It is regarding the debt below.

Many thanks, MrsH

Overdraft (Natwest)
          Unsure of date - Had an overdraft since before 2005
          £386
          August 2010
          Arrangement
          In arrears (My reduced monthly payments are up to date)
          PRA Group

10/07/19 - CCA request sent.

15/07/19 - Letter received from PRA "We are unable to fulfil your request for a copy agreement as current accounts do not require a credit agreement, therefore no credit agreement would have been set up when opening the account, such accounts are not included in the Consumer Credit Act 1974." Then they go on to say "Our fully trained agents will discuss your account further with you and help you come to a mutually acceptable agreement in order to settle your outstanding balance."

Comment

Hi Di - apologies, hope I've done it correctly this time...

It is regarding the debt below.

Many thanks, MrsH

Overdraft (Natwest)
            £386
            August 2010
            Arrangement
            PRA Group

15/07/19 - Letter received from PRA "We are unable to fulfil your request for a copy agreement as current accounts do not require a credit agreement, therefore no credit agreement would have been set up when opening the account, such accounts are not included in the Consumer Credit Act 1974." Then they go on to say "Our fully trained agents will discuss your account further with you and help you come to a mutually acceptable agreement in order to settle your outstanding balance."

No need to apologise, this isn't school

Can you clarify whether this was an arranged overdraft and what happened in August 2010?

When did NatWest assign the account to PRA?

Are you still making payments?

Di

Comment

Can you clarify whether this was an arranged overdraft and what happened in August 2010?

When did NatWest assign the account to PRA?

Are you still making payments?

I'm not too sure if it is agreed or not - I did have an agreed overdraft on the account, but I can't remember whether this is just the overdraft or if I went overdrawn from charges to the account when I started making token payments in Aug/Sept 2010.

It was assigned to PRA in January 2019.

Yes I'm still making token payments to it.

Thanks

Comment

Hi - I'm hoping someone can advise on what to do please. Tomorrow I am due to make my monthly payments to PRA for the loan and the overdraft as quoted below. I have sent CCA requests to both, PRA are saying that the overdraft isn't included in a CCA.... Should I not send the payment for the loan but instead use that money to pay extra towards the overdraft?

MrsH

Overdraft (Natwest)
                £386
                August 2010
                Arrangement
                PRA Group

Loan (Natwest)
                January 2008
                £7,424
                August 2010
                Arrangement
                In arrears (My reduced monthly payments are up to date) - did default but this has dropped off my credit file
                PRA Group

All correspondence from PRA Group regarding this account state that it is currently unenforceable.

13/07/19 - Letter received from PRA to say my request is being processed with.

Comment

I am due to make my monthly payments to PRA for the loan and the overdraft as quoted below. I have sent CCA requests to both, PRA are saying that the overdraft isn't included in a CCA.... Should I not send the payment for the loan but instead use that money to pay extra towards the overdraft?

Overdraft (Natwest)
                  £386
                  August 2010
                  Arrangement
                  PRA Group

PRA may say the overdraft isn't covered by s78 CCA but a recent court judgment says different.

Jo explains this here >

Originally posted by Joanna Connolly View Post
                  The claim against our clients in this case was for monies owing under a personal Current Account Overdraft. We lost at first instance before a District Judge in Peterborough County Court and appealed the decision before HHJ Walden-Smith sitting at Cambridge County Court.

The Appeal was successful yesterday. This is an important case because it confirms that consumers using the unenforceability provisions of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 can successfully defend claims for personal Current Account Overdrafts in court. In this instant case the Appeal court found the personal Current Account Overdraft agreement to be unenforceable pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act because of lack of evidence of compliance with the requirements of the OFT determination.

It was also accepted that Creditors must comply with S 78 Consumer Credit Act 1974 requests relating to personal Current Account Overdrafts, not just credit cards and loans. In this case the Appeal court did find that MFS Portfolio Ltd had complied with the S 78 Consumer Credit Act request. If they hadn’t complied with the statutory request then the personal Current Account Overdraft would have been unenforceable pursuant to s.78 (6) (a) Consumer Credit Act , which is contrary to the position creditors normally take.

Di

Comment

Loan (Natwest)
                    January 2008
                    £7,424
                    August 2010
                    Arrangement
                    In arrears (My reduced monthly payments are up to date) - did default but this has dropped off my credit file
                    PRA Group

All correspondence from PRA Group regarding this account state that it is currently unenforceable.

07/08/19 - Letter received from PRA. "Please find enclosed documentation received to date; we are awaiting further documents in order to complete your request. We have currently deemed this debt as unenforceable...." The enclosed documentation was loan statements from July 2009-January 2011.
                    Updated

Comment

Hello Di

I've tried to quote your post in #53 but can't...

What is my next step regarding the overdraft? Do I write to them saying that HHJ Walden-Smith sitting at Cambridge County Court recently ruled that overdrafts are included in the CCA? And that Creditors must comply with S 78 Consumer Credit Act 1974 requests relating to personal Current Account Overdrafts, not just credit cards and loans.

Thank you

Mrs H

Comment

Hello Di

What is my next step regarding the overdraft? Do I write to them saying that HHJ Walden-Smith sitting at Cambridge County Court recently ruled that overdrafts are included in the CCA? And that Creditors must comply with S 78 Consumer Credit Act 1974 requests relating to personal Current Account Overdrafts, not just credit cards and loans.

No need to write back to them just because they've written to you.

Lawyers have a saying "we don't litigate through correspondence".

I expect PRA may already be aware of our firm's judgments anyway if they follow Joanna Connolly on Twitter

Di

Comment

Loan (Natwest)
                          January 2008
                          £7,424
                          August 2010
                          Arrangement
                          PRA Group

Have PRA complied with your s77-79 CCA Request for this NatWest loan yet?

Last summer they admitted the debt was unenforceable, so hopefully that position hasn't changed

Di

Comment

Hello Di

Everything is currently unenforceable! Including the PRA loan and overdraft (which they tried to tell me wasn’t covered by the s77-79!!!)

Thanks for checking in and for your advice!

MrsH

Comment

Hello Di

Everything is currently unenforceable! Including the PRA loan and overdraft (which they tried to tell me wasn’t covered by the s77-79!!!)

Thanks for checking in and for your advice!

Thanks for the update.

Even if any of your credit agreements turn out to be enforceable there are plenty more other reasons for a debt to be unenforceable.

Post up if anything changes, and enjoy the peace and quiet in the meantime

Di

Comment

Thank you Di, I will do!

Mrs H

Comment

Working...
                                X