GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Unenforcable?? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unenforcable??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi.
    I sent the cca requests when the debt was assigned back in 2017.

I had stopped payments back in 2012 so the debts are now statute barred

They did chase me for a while but stopped when it was pointed out they hadn’t sent the cca . I didn’t however chase them at any point

Comment

Received letters from Cabot today for the Natwest CC and Mint CC -
      'We have been unable to get the information requested from the original lender. If this information ever becomes available to us we will complete your request, but until we are unable to supply this your account is unenforceable.'

Is now a good time to offer small F&F payments or should I cancel monthly payments and then offer F&F in a few months time?

Comment

MrsH if they have no paperwork and the account is unenforceable, why pay? They cannot take you to court or indeed take any action against you whilst they are unenforceable. I would not pay anything; if you feel happier, put some money aside every month just in case they magically find an enforceable agreement. Remember if they have sold the debts on they will have been purchased for a fraction of the amount owed.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

why pay for something that is unenforceable - they know that you are rich picking if you offer them monies for their Xmas party. sit on your hands
          "BUT"
          come back here if they start threats, meantime relax and enjoy peace, DO NOT GIVE THEM MONEY they are not entitled to any whilst the case is un proven/ even if they should produce a CCA etc many things can make unenforceable
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I was thinking if I could get a very low F&F then it would clear it up without a chance of it ever coming back to bite me.... but maybe that isn’t the best thing to do then...

So I’ll stop my monthly payments - do I then just ignore correspondence from them unless of course they state that they have found the paperwork?

Thank you both for your help!

Comment

It has to be your decision to stop paying, however it is what I would do! The methods that we use and the back up that is available make our system very effective.
              You can expect extra contact when you stop paying, just post here for support. Strange as it may seem but you will reach a point when you start to miss all your letters from the different companies.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                It has to be your decision to stop paying, however it is what I would do! The methods that we use and the back up that is available make our system very effective.
                You can expect extra contact when you stop paying, just post here for support. Strange as it may seem but you will reach a point when you start to miss all your letters from the different companies.
                Remember:- Silence is Golden!

Comment

Hi all - I have cancelled my monthly payments for both Cabot debts (as I have received letters saying these are currently unenforceable). I am still waiting to hear from Intrum re: Tesco debt. Am I best to keep Intrum payment going until they write to tell me if it is or isn’t enforceable? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MrsH View Post
                    Hi all - I have cancelled my monthly payments for both Cabot debts (as I have received letters saying these are currently unenforceable). I am still waiting to hear from Intrum re: Tesco debt. Am I best to keep Intrum payment going until they write to tell me if it is or isn’t enforceable? Thanks
                    I note that the S 78 went out in May to Intrum and acknowledged 8 May 2019
                    The Debt is unenforcible until such times as Intrum produce that CCA, the choice to pay or not is yours but they are now nearly 2 months late aren't they?

Comment

As Roger has said, it is unenforceable whilst they are in default of your request. Although it remains UE, if and it’s a big if they do supply a compliant agreement it then becomes enforceable; however this is only part of the process as there are many other factors that mean an agreement can not be enforced in court.

I had a couple of creditors that were ‘nice’ to us and so I carried on paying - a big mistake because they no longer show on my credit records but I am still fighting them on UE grounds.

Comment

Thank you both for your replies. I have now cancelled Intrum payment as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                          I note that the S 78 went out in May to Intrum and acknowledged 8 May 2019
                          The Debt is unenforcible until such times as Intrum produce that CCA, the choice to pay or not is yours but they are now nearly 2 months late aren't they?

Exactly

Di

Comment

Intrum contacted me by phone on 04/07/19 with a matter that they needed to discuss, I informed them that I will not deal with anything over the phone and that they need to put it in writing to me. I received a letter 09/07/19 just saying 'following your request for the balance of you account, please be advised that the current balance is....' I hadn't requested this information and there was no mention of it being currently unenforceable due to them not responding to my CCA request.... Is this just a way of reminding me that I still owe the money even though they haven't sent me a credit agreement?

Thanks

Comment

Yes, I would just ignore it. Stick it in the file along with everything else

Comment

Originally posted by MrsH View Post
                                Intrum contacted me by phone on 04/07/19 with a matter that they needed to discuss, I informed them that I will not deal with anything over the phone and that they need to put it in writing to me. I received a letter 09/07/19 just saying 'following your request for the balance of you account, please be advised that the current balance is....' I hadn't requested this information and there was no mention of it being currently unenforceable due to them not responding to my CCA request.... Is this just a way of reminding me that I still owe the money even though they haven't sent me a credit agreement?

Thanks
                                If they ring in future, you can just hang-up. You are under no obligation to speak to them. Being honest, I tend to write to all my creditors stating that I am no longer available by phone and to contact me in writing only. I just add it to the CCA and / or any future replies. Bear it in mind if you get into letter ping-pong; just add a line saying "I do not have a phone anymore so please ensure all future correspondence is made via letter at my home address, and remove all contact phone numbers you may have as none will be valid anymore."

That will kill off the calls once and for all (usually) - plus if they continue to call, you can get them on grounds of harassment. It's handy to have ammunition in case they get arsey.

Best thing to do is to stop your payments, send a CCA to everyone (just once) - and then work through them in order. The Enforceable ones are the ones where it may be prudent to cease payments for a few months, save a bit, then make a F&F offer to those only. But only if they are making threats. It's still wise to cease payments, as you get their attention plus you are pushing towards SB with every year that passes.

Lots of options, that's why we're here - to help you learn and fight back, where we can.
                                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X