GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script TTC - O.H. Capital One PPI Claim - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TTC - O.H. Capital One PPI Claim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TTC - O.H. Capital One PPI Claim

file on another computer which seems to have lost Windows XP hence I bought laptop, and looking for cds, hope missus did not throw them out in the move?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Ah - so it's not the MS Office disc you need, it's the Win XP installation/repair disc then ? If so, you could try using 'Safe Mode,' which is a way of running Win XP in its very basic form, as a way of diagnosing problems.

To do this, start up the old computer from 'cold,' and continue pressing the F8 key all the time until the Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. Select 'Last Known Good Configuration,' and see if this starts Windows up (in full-use mode). If not, select 'Safe Mode with CD-ROM' (I think that's what it says). You may then be able to access your files and save them to CD-RW or to a USB memory stick etc. - and possibly be able to open them.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...safemodexp.htm

If this doesn't work, re-start using the F8 key again. This time, select 'Safe Mode with Command prompt.' This should open the 'Command Prompt' basic Operating System with a black screen, and I think you will then see something like " C:> " with a flashing cursor. If you then enter " dir/a/p " you should then see a list of the files & folders on your main hard drive C. My knowledge of CP commands is very limited and it ends here, I'm afraid - but I'm fairly sure that you can eventually find your "My Documents" folder (or whatever you call yours) in there, and get to the file(s) you need. You can't open them, but I think you should be able to send them to the CD-RW or a USB device.

Perhaps someone else might be able to continue with this...?

A further problem I have encountered is the "White Screen" scam, where all you can get is a message which says "Please go online to continue..." (or summat similar). Once you do that, all you get is a frozen screen with a demand for money from what appears to be a police website, but which is a scam. Don't send any money, as it will probably not unlock your PC. But there is a set of PC commands you can use to fix this. Post up if this is what you are getting.
      Last edited by Bill-K; 14 February 2014, 13:24. Reason: Ext. Link Added

Comment

Getting off-topic here, so my apologies. It is usually quite a simple matter to remove your hard drive/s (HDD/s) from your old desktop/tower PC. There will be 1 ribbon cable from the motherboard, and one power cable from the Power Supply Unit plugged into the HDD. Unplug these, and undo the 4 screws securing the HDD to the internal drive 'rack.' Then slide the HDD backwards and remove it. Do NOT drop it or bang it - handle it gently.

You can then connect it to another desktop/tower PC, and it should be possible to access the files on it from there. If you do this, then you may have to move the little 'jumper' selector from 'Master' mode to 'Slave' mode first. If you can't access another PC, then there are external HDD units available for as little as £20. These enable you to plug your HDD into them, and you then connect the unit to your laptop via a USB cable. Your old HDD should then show as an additional drive in the drive list in the 'My Computer' area on your laptop. I have one which I use regularly with my old HDD's - got it from Amazon for under £18:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...productDetails

Comment

found XP disc so will try recovery soon after re-set up the desktop. annoying thing is the Office disc are not there,

did get on to open office and started to fill in PPI reclaim sheet up tp the 8% end of the sheet but after 5th entry the sheet went wonkey and since have not found how I got into the sheet to fill in the details again, try again later.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

With Bills help PPI spreadsheet ready if needed, THANKYOU Bill

Comment

Working...
            X