GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Mortgage PPI from 2004 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mortgage PPI from 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mortgage PPI from 2004

Originally posted by Stressedoutmum View Post
    Hi again!

Just a quick question, what is the best way of finding out if I had PPI on previous loans that I had? Checking back through my bank statements recently, I have had at least another 4 loans over the last 10 years that are all fully paid, but I wonder if I might have had PPI on them (since I was unaware I had PPI on the 2 loans that I was recently sent agreements for).

Should I just write to the lender and ask for a copy of my loan agreement in the first instance?

Thanks

Hiya, if you contact them with the account numbers you have, ask them about any PPI, some will let you know yes or no, or you could take a chance by sending a Subject Access Request (SAR) hopefully they may still hold all the details of all the loans x

Comment

Link -----> Subject Access (SAR) - Advanced Request
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks Di and In2Deep.

I might wait until end of month and if I have any spare cash just send of SAR's on them all.

There were actually 5 loans, one was Black Horse which obviously is part of LTSB now so am thinking I won't be able to claim any PPI on that just now given my circumstances, but I suppose there is no harm in trying to find put if PPI was added to it for future reference. The other loans were First National Tricity, First National Bank, GE Capital and Ford Credit. Are the first 3 all part of GE Money now?? A bit confused about them.

Thanks again!!

Comment

Thanks Di and In2Deep.

I might wait until end of month and if I have any spare cash just send of SAR's on them all.

There were actually 5 loans, one was Black Horse which obviously is part of LTSB now so am thinking I won't be able to claim any PPI on that just now given my circumstances, but I suppose there is no harm in trying to find put if PPI was added to it for future reference. The other loans were First National Tricity, First National Bank, GE Capital and Ford Credit. Are the first 3 all part of GE Money now?? A bit confused about them.

Thanks again!!
          Hiya hun

It is also know that with some if you email them with account numbers, they may be able to confirm, without the need of a SAR, but yes wait until your ready.

Santander deal with First Nat/GE :-) they dealt with mine, although I finally succeeded through the insurer/underwriter due the account being an older one, how hold are these ones? x

Comment

Thanks Di, I might try the email thing first and if no joy from that look at the SAR.

Thanks for that info, all these loans are roughly early 2000's I believe xx

Comment

Hi again, just looking for a second opinion/guidance here as I am a little confused (as usual!! lol)

I wrote to Assurant General Insurance regarding the mis-selling of this policy, as they were the underwriters (previously Bankers General Insurance).

I've today received a letter from Assurant Solutions advising they have recorded my complaint and that they have forwarded my letter onto Assurant Intermediary Ltd for response. However, they then go onto tell me that the company who sold me the policy were an independent company and they were not acting on behalf of Assurant Intermediary Ltd. They then go onto say how Assurant General Insurance Ltd does not hold regulatory permission to sell, they are only authorised to carry out contracts of insurance, and therefore they cannot appoint a third party to act as their agent for this purpose as to do so would be unlawful!! They then say I may be able to take my case to the FSCS (which I can't as have already tried that).

Anyway, I am suitably bamboozled by the above! Was that their intention with this letter, and can I just assume that 'Assurant Internediary Ltd' are actually looking into this, as the letter felt like a big knock back to me!!! What is even more confusing is the number of varying 'Assurant' names there are!!!!

Oh strike the waiting for a resonse from Assurant Intermediary, this appears to be their response, as the address at the top is Assurant Solutions, Assurant Intermediary Ltd, Assurant House etc, so it is a knockback!!

Should I try the FOS??
              Last edited by Stressedoutmum; 13 March 2013, 12:38. Reason: adding

Comment

Hi again, just looking for a second opinion/guidance here as I am a little confused (as usual!! lol)

I wrote to Assurant General Insurance regarding the mis-selling of this policy, as they were the underwriters (previously Bankers General Insurance).

I've today received a letter from Assurant Solutions advising they have recorded my complaint and that they have forwarded my letter onto Assurant Intermediary Ltd for response. However, they then go onto tell me that the company who sold me the policy were an independent company and they were not acting on behalf of Assurant Intermediary Ltd. They then go onto say how Assurant General Insurance Ltd does not hold regulatory permission to sell, they are only authorised to carry out contracts of insurance, and therefore they cannot appoint a third party to act as their agent for this purpose as to do so would be unlawful!! They then say I may be able to take my case to the FSCS (which I can't as have already tried that).

Anyway, I am suitably bamboozled by the above! Was that their intention with this letter, and can I just assume that 'Assurant Internediary Ltd' are actually looking into this, as the letter felt like a big knock back to me!!! What is even more confusing is the number of varying 'Assurant' names there are!!!!

Oh strike the waiting for a resonse from Assurant Intermediary, this appears to be their response, as the address at the top is Assurant Solutions, Assurant Intermediary Ltd, Assurant House etc, so it is a knockback!!

Should I try the FOS??
                Hiya

I could be wrong, but are they saying that they were not actually the actual underwriter/insurer of the policy, but the other business they confirmed were, (and maybe they are under the same umbrella)?

I think they have passed your complaint to the other business stated as they appeared to have been the underwriter/insurer.
                And they are also stating as they are third party and did not actually sell the policy its not directly down to them to deal with the matter (not under the mis sold side of it). That is how I see it.

However, with me when I write to my underwriter as you know (I did not directly put the full liabilities on them, but did state what responsibilities they did have on the insurance). (You also had a copy of my letter didnt you)?

So they are able to investigate the matter in this respect, but not for mis selling the policy. They did have responsibility to ensure the broker/lender sold you a suitable policy, they therefore check your details to make sure if it was suitable or not before going ahead of being accepted the policy. (Think you get my drift) ;-)

What I would do, if your not too sure what is happening here, as the other business may be dealing with it, is contact them to double check by emailing or writing a quick letter, by enclosing a copy of the letter you received. x

Comment

...........I note you said you already tried the FSCS, I thought the FSCS could deal with mortgage matters no matter the year it was taken out, a little different to loan ppi who will only generally go by 2005 onwards and just as long as they were FSA regulated.

What did the FSCS say?

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                    Hiya

I could be wrong, but are they saying that they were not actually the actual underwriter/insurer of the policy, but the other business they confirmed were, (and maybe they are under the same umbrella)?

I think they have passed your complaint to the other business stated as they appeared to have been the underwriter/insurer.
                    And they are also stating as they are third party and did not actually sell the policy its not directly down to them to deal with the matter (not under the mis sold side of it). That is how I see it.

However, with me when I write to my underwriter as you know (I did not directly put the full liabilities on them, but did state what responsibilities they did have on the insurance). (You also had a copy of my letter didnt you)?

So they are able to investigate the matter in this respect, but not for mis selling the policy. They did have responsibility to ensure the broker/lender sold you a suitable policy, they therefore check your details to make sure if it was suitable or not before going ahead of being accepted the policy. (Think you get my drift) ;-)

What I would do, if your not too sure what is happening here, as the other business may be dealing with it, is contact them to double check by emailing or writing a quick letter, by enclosing a copy of the letter you received. x
                    Thanks for your reply Di30.

This is where I find it all a bit confusing, at first I thought Assurant Solutions were saying they'd passed my letter to Assurant Intermediary for them to respond to me, but when I reread it I think this letter is FROM Assurant Intermediary as their name is at top of letter in the address.

The opening paragraph says 'I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 27th Feb received by us today and note you are registering a complaint against Assurant General Insurance Ltd. Please be advised that this letter has been forwarded to Assurant Intermediary Ltd for response.'

Now reading that, I thought my letter has been sent to this other place for a proper reply etc, but then I noticed that the address at the top of the letter is from Assurant Solutions, Assurant Intermediary, and the last line of the letter says : It is with regret that I am unable to assist you further with your complaint. Plus they have advised that I may be able to get FSCS to look at it, so it sounds like this is a final reply to my complaint, though the wording of that first paragraph is not the best!

As for the underwriters, they are saying Assurant General Insurance were the policy underwriters only and are not responsible for the sale etc etc, so seems like I did write to the correct place and they have acknowledged that AGI were the underwriters! Dear god, this is so confusing!!!

Sorry forgot to add, yes I did send your letter Di, just tweaked it slightly but the gist was the same.
                    Last edited by Stressedoutmum; 13 March 2013, 16:35. Reason: forgot to add

Comment

...........I note you said you already tried the FSCS, I thought the FSCS could deal with mortgage matters no matter the year it was taken out, a little different to loan ppi who will only generally go by 2005 onwards and just as long as they were FSA regulated.

What did the FSCS say?
                      I have the letter somewhere, can't remember exactly what they said, but it was along the lines of the PPI being taken out prior to Jan 2005.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Di30.

This is where I find it all a bit confusing, at first I thought Assurant Solutions were saying they'd passed my letter to Assurant Intermediary for them to respond to me, but when I reread it I think this letter is FROM Assurant Intermediary as their name is at top of letter in the address.

The opening paragraph says 'I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 27th Feb received by us today and note you are registering a complaint against Assurant General Insurance Ltd. Please be advised that this letter has been forwarded to Assurant Intermediary Ltd for response.'

Now reading that, I thought my letter has been sent to this other place for a proper reply etc, but then I noticed that the address at the top of the letter is from Assurant Solutions, Assurant Intermediary, and the last line of the letter says : It is with regret that I am unable to assist you further with your complaint. Plus they have advised that I may be able to get FSCS to look at it, so it sounds like this is a final reply to my complaint, though the wording of that first paragraph is not the best!

As for the underwriters, they are saying Assurant General Insurance were the policy underwriters only and are not responsible for the sale etc etc, so seems like I did write to the correct place and they have acknowledged that AGI were the underwriters! Dear god, this is so confusing!!!

Sorry forgot to add, yes I did send your letter Di, just tweaked it slightly but the gist was the same.
                        Hi hun
                        Arh right ok.

So they have basically overlooked the complaint really then. The FOS suggest this avenue because they know they have relationships from insurer/broker to lender.
                        And an underwriter's duty would be to check all information passed on after completion of the application before its agreed to go ahead.

Did they say it was final and mention the FOS at this stage?

Comment

Hi hun
                          Arh right ok.

So they have basically overlooked the complaint really then. The FOS suggest this avenue because they know they have relationships from insurer/broker to lender.
                          And an underwriter's duty would be to check all information passed on after completion of the application before its agreed to go ahead.

Did they say it was final and mention the FOS at this stage?
                          Hi Di

Yes that's right, they haven't really addressed the complaint in any way, other than to say AGI are not responsible for selling. They haven't said this is their final response or mentioned the FOS, just that they are unable to assist me further

Comment

Hi Di

Yes that's right, they haven't really addressed the complaint in any way, other than to say AGI are not responsible for selling. They haven't said this is their final response or mentioned the FOS, just that they are unable to assist me further
                            You can try writing back to them if you wish by maybe giving them 14 or 21 days.
                            Ask them to review your complaint, because you feel they have overlooked the matter, and state that you are aware they are not responsible for the mis selling, but were the insurers/underwriters where you do have responsibilties on underwriting completed applications, as you have to ensure that the policy was sold correctly and that it was suitable for the customer before the application went ahead.
                            And say, for this matter, you do have the authority to investigate this type of complaint. (Please also refer back to my original letter (copy enclosed), and please take into account that this is not about your business misselling me a product, but you still have joint liabilities when these products are sold.
                            .................................................. ..................................................

Dear Sir/Madam (write name if you have a name, Mr or Mrs)

Account number xxxxxxxxx

Thank you your letter dated Xx/Xx/2013.
                            I am disappointed in your decision you made in regards of the above account number.

I would also like to confirm that I have been writing to you direct, because this is the avenue the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) suggest, if for example, the original business that sold the product was no longer active, or due to non-regulation (whatever your reason).
                            This is because you had a relationship to the broker/lender of the policy and you had underwritten my policy once my application was completed.
                            Your business therefore had many duties to ensure that the policy was suited to my requirements before it was paid out to me.

I am asking you to review my complaint, and also take into account my previous letter that include my full reasons. You will note that I am NOT holding you fully responsible for the mis selling of the product, but you did have liabilities that I would like you to take into account in regards of my complaint.
                            For this reason I do believe you are able to investigate this complaint. I have been deprived of my money, and wish to be refunded of all I have paid, plus the relevant interest that I am entitled to by the FOS calculation guidelines.

I look forward to hearing from you by (14 or 21 days) of this letter, in order for me to consider my next action from here.

Yours sincerely

Comment

Cheers Di!!

I will definitely give this a go. Like I said before I am prepared and ready to give this a good fight, £4k+ is a lot of money, and considering I am still paying interest on it and not having any benefit whatsoever, I'm not prepared to give up easily!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to compose the letter Di, you are a wee star!!!!
                              Last edited by Stressedoutmum; 14 March 2013, 08:21. Reason: typo

Comment

Cheers Di!!

I will definitely give this a go. Like I said before I am prepared and ready to give this a good fight, £4k+ is a lot of money, and considering I am still paying interest on it and not having any benefit whatsoever, I'm not prepared to give up easily!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to compose the letter Di, you are a wee star!!!!
                                Aww bless you lol xx

Your very welcome hun, let me know if you require further help/info xx

Comment

Working...
                                X