GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Welcome Back to Cabot (or not) - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome Back to Cabot (or not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome Back to Cabot (or not)

Has anybody received similar correspondence from darling Debbie?
    Could it be something to do with the recent fantastic court cases thrashing Virgin/MBNA? Not heard about it for ages, and it has been resurrected.

It would seem that the debt for the now SB late-2007 card is owned by MEIII, i.e. not Cabot has been brought back into play. Although a few years past its SB sell by date, she would like to help me pay the balance for this by providing options.

Fat chance - I hope.

On the subject of Cabot - I am confused regarding Cabot Financial (UK) Ltd.

There have been post elsewhere suggesting that there is an issue with them not being Authorised by the FCA, thus restricting what they are able to do. Here is a link to the Cabot website - http://www.cabotcm.com/important-inf...n-with-the-fca

They say -" How is our Group authorised with the Financial Conduct Authority

Cabot Credit Management Group Limited (CCM), a company registered in England and Wales with Company no. 4934534, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) with firm reference number 677910. As a result it has all the relevant regulatory and statutory permissions in order for its purchasing companies to acquire debt and to appoint representatives, operational companies to recover and/or administer debts on their behalf.

"Purchasing companies are exempt from being authorised by the FCA as they only own the debt, engaging CCM Group to recover and/or administer the debts on their behalf.

The UK purchasing companies in the CCM Group are Cabot Financial (UK) Limited, Marlin Capital Europe Limited, MCE Portfolio Limited, MFS Portfolio Limited, Marlin Europe I Limited, Marlin Europe II Limited, ME III Limited, ME IV Limited, Marlin Europe V Limited, Marlin Europe VI Limited, Cabot Financial Portfolios Limited.

Operational companies are permitted to carry out debt recovery and/or administration activities as a result of the CCM Group being authorised to appoint them as representatives by the FCA.

The operational company, which is an appointed representative of the CCM Group, is Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited."

(There is more information on that link).

So if an account is assigned (sold) by an OC to Cabot Financial (UK) Limited, but letters are coming ostensibly from Cabot Financial (Europe) ltd, can this latter company initiate legal action by virtue of being appointed representatives of CCM Group? It would appear that Cabot Financial (UK) Limited can't as they are not Authorised.

Comment

Talk about legal knots. Cabot acting on behalf of Cabot and appointed by Cabot....

Comment

She has just written to say I could have a one time discount offer, if I contact. Seems to good to be true, especially as she has offered to mark my credit report with Partially Satisfied, if I pay a specially negotiated settlement. On the upside I will have peace of mind that the debt has been settled.

Comment

Mmmm difficult decision that one

Or not
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Just seen that Cabot is going to float with a Mr Crook at its helm. I hope it sinks, but I do believe I am already a part-owner, along with many others here.
            From Sky News on MSN
            "Have you ever wanted to own shares in a debt collection agency?

Well, soon you will have the opportunity to do so, as Cabot Credit Management, the UK's largest, has announced it plans to float on the stock market"

Comment

Originally posted by julian View Post
              Just seen that Cabot is going to float with a Mr Crook at its helm. I hope it sinks, but I do believe I am already a part-owner, along with many others here.
              From Sky News on MSN
              "Have you ever wanted to own shares in a debt collection agency?

Well, soon you will have the opportunity to do so, as Cabot Credit Management, the UK's largest, has announced it plans to float on the stock market"
              As I read it a Mr Haste is due to be the Chairman - Crook is said to have stepped down as a Cabot director.

Interesting - Cabot "says it has invested close to £2bn in buying portfolios with a face value of more than £20bn" - ie at less than 10p in the £.

Comment

They don't want to play anymore and have thrown my alleged debt to some debt collectors. These newbies must be really hard. I wonder if they are playing catch or scratch.

Comment

Can Cabot take me or anyone else to court or not??!!

Comment

Originally posted by hra47 View Post
                    Can Cabot take me or anyone else to court or not??!!

Perhaps the question is not whether Cabot can take you to court but whether they would win if they did

Is the background of your Cabot debt posted on this forum somewhere so I can look at the situation for you?

Di
                    Last edited by Joanna Connolly Solicitors; 10 July 2019, 07:53. Reason: typo

Comment

Good answer! I have posted the odd thing here,and we did speak once a while ago,and this has been vaguely trudging on,but suddenly I am on receiving end of a number of calls (not answered,obvs) so not sure what the game is. But thank you anyway for response.

Comment

Is it Cabot or their kennel mates Mortimer Clarke - lovely people, even if they say so themselves.

They gave a cheap telephone deal that allows them to call any tephone you have ever used for utilities, car hire, insurance, credit cards, etc., at least once a week and sometime twice a day. Good if you can block.

Comment

Send a letter advising them you no longer have access to a phone, and that as relatives answer the old numbers, should they repeatedly harass then you'll be seeking legal advice for damages. Tell them (do not ask) to remove all numbers and to deal in writing only. That gives you ammunition; just in case you ever need it (ie if they call you daily then it's harassment - so keep evidence if they do after you've sent the letter).

Just play them at their own game. Mortimer Clarke - haha, makes me laugh. they think they are big-boys in the industry but are pretty clueless and lose that many cases that they hide behind the name of their legal team. I had a great fight with them.
                          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X