GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script What to do, I'm in a credit card mess, please help :-( - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do, I'm in a credit card mess, please help :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What to do, I'm in a credit card mess, please help :-(

Hey guys,

Ok so not really much to update you with yet, just have to sit and wait for the letters to start arriving on the doorstep

I wanted to ask your opinion on a bank account I have that has an overdraft setup on it.

It is a Halifax current account with a OD limit of £2100, of which all is available.

I would like people's opinion of whether I am being stupid/greedy if I were to transfer this entire overdraft out the account and basically do what I'm doing with the credit cards.

Since my credit history is going to blown to pieces anyway, should I take the money and run or are overdrafts different to credit cards?

Just one of many a passing thought of mine throughout the night

Cheers

Comment

I wouldn't recommend it................
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

It makes me very uneasy and not something I would recommend although with my track record ....

Comment

Originally posted by mattk1 View Post
          I would like people's opinion of whether I am being stupid/greedy
          While I usually any activity that spanks the banks, this isn't something I would recommend as its not a case of changing circumstances, bad financial management etc.

Look at it another way - why not keep this account open as a 'parachute' account in the event you do need to return to the UK. If you can keep this account ticking over, with that O/D facility, then its a useful thing to keep should you have to return to the UK for an emergency or other reason.
          "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for all your honest opinions about this :-)

It is something I would of felt uneasy doing but when you get an idea in your head about it starts to spiral, you know how it is..

To Saltnvinegar; that sounds like pretty good advice to me, specially since my visa to stay in Vietnam is annually reviewed and nothing is ever guaranteed.

Cheers guys

Comment

It is a Halifax current account with a OD limit of £2100, of which all is available.

I would like people's opinion of whether I am being stupid/greedy if I were to transfer this entire overdraft out the account and basically do what I'm doing with the credit cards.

Since my credit history is going to blown to pieces anyway, should I take the money and run or are overdrafts different to credit cards?
              Your credit history will only be blown to pieces for six years from the day each account gets defaulted, and then the negative information will drop off. If you keep one bank account open and in good shape without any default it will stay on your file which can be helpful in the future if you ever need to return to the UK and apply for a mortgage etc. Sometimes a CRA *thin file* isn't helpful either. Banks check for good news as well as bad.

Comment

Top advice PlanB, thank you :-)

Comment

Top advice PlanB, thank you :-)
                  She does have her moments

But yes it would be very very useful to have a fallback account in the UK and assuming they do not reduce the OD as you aren't using it/no money is going through the account it could be good emergency funds if you did have to come home

Don't do what i would do. That is, let it niggle away then think sod it and ignore the advice....you will, as I have , live to regret it
                  Last edited by jon1965; 1 September 2012, 12:04.

Comment

Working...
                  X