GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Threat to sue a dead man for £36 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Threat to sue a dead man for £36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Threat to sue a dead man for £36

Well, it is now exactly a month since my late father sent his letter to Crapital Resolve, and it doesn't look as though his new friends want to play with him any more. Unless, of course, they sent a reply to "firstname.lastname@heaven.god", and my father hasn't got his celestial email address set up properly.

I think it is time I stepped in now, and found out what this moronic bunch of shysters have to say for themselves, before reporting the entire episode to the Office of Faffing and Twaddling.

Interestingly, I can't find anything within the Debt Collection Guidance which states that alleged creditors should make sure that a debtor has a physical body and resides in the Earth dimension before attempting to contact them. It should be covered, though, by these -

3.19 In order to avoid the risk of 'mistaken identity' (where a person who is not the actual debtor is pursued for the repayment of a debt) and with a view to ensuring that debtors are pursued for the correct amount of any unpaid debt, all businesses involved in debt recovery need to take reasonable steps to ensure that they maintain accurate and adequate data (including in respect of debt history).

3.22 The OFT considers that businesses should seek to ensure that they have accurate and adequate data, prior to pursuing debtors for outstanding debts, by taking appropriate steps to verify the data.

4.1 The OFT expects businesses engaged in the recovery of debts arising from regulated consumer credit or consumer hire agreements to take reasonable steps (subject to proportionality considerations) to ensure that they have suitable business practices and procedures in place to facilitate their own compliance and (as appropriate) that of any agents and associates (for example, through training, monitoring, record keeping, disciplinary policies/procedures, contractual requirements, or any other means necessary and appropriate to the business).

4.2 We would expect such businesses to have regard to both the letter and spirit of this guidance, other relevant OFT guidance and relevant legal obligations.

If someone has been deceased for over five years, I would consider that anyone taking "appropriate steps to verify data" would discover this fact, and would therefore not send out facetious demands for money which could cause distress to the late debtor's family.

It also has to be pointed out that the letter was deliberately made to look like a court form, which is a blatant breach of -

3.2 It is unfair to communicate with debtors, or their representatives, in whatever form, in an unclear, inaccurate or misleading manner.

3.3 Examples of unfair or improper practices are as follows:

a. use of official looking documents intended to, or likely to, mislead debtors as to their status.

For example, documents made to resemble court documents.

I've not got a lot of spare time (whatever that is), but I think the OFT do need to be made aware of what these scum are doing. It could just save a family who are still grieving from receiving the same kind of written diarrhoea.

SH

Comment

I think that is the right thing to do.

Sometimes it may not benifit us personally but if you are able to point out to a regulator these arent one off mistakes but ingrained habits then perhaps one day the regulator will actually work out what it is there for.

To regulate. Whats the point of guidelines if it allows firms just to ignore them.

Comment

Frankly who cares if it is of a tangible benefit.
        If it makes you feel better and gives two fingers to the DCA then go for it. Spiteful moi? Never

Comment

Did they manage to grow a brain-cell and understand your letter?
          I used to be afraid of the post... Now I look forward to it - so I can stick it to the DCA's

Comment

Originally posted by pooky2483 View Post
            Did they manage to grow a brain-cell and understand your letter?
            How interesting that Pooky should bump this thread in the week when the complaint was finally forwarded to the OFT.

No, the letter was completely ignored, as you would expect. I sent a complaint to Crapital Resolve, and it was answered by someone called Louise Skinner, who asked for a reference number for the original offending letter.

I sent not only a reference number, but a PDF scan of the letter. Not surprisingly, no response was forthcoming. Last weekend, the complaint was raised with the OFT.

What they did didn't cause me any distress, in fact, it gave me the chance to compose one of my special replies. It is the type of behaviour, though, which could have an effect on someone without my knowledge of the debt collection cesspit and how it works. And, it blatantly breaches several points of the OFT Guidance.

If the complaint saves someone else from receiving such a letter, it will have been worthwhile.

SH

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
              Well before any court they ought to be adhering to CPR which would suggest they had performed basic checks.... really?
              CPR?

Check Pulse and Respiration?

Comment

Working...
              X