GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Getting no-where with Halifax mortgage complaint - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting no-where with Halifax mortgage complaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting no-where with Halifax mortgage complaint

Originally posted by planB View Post
    ^^^^ if you think my paragraph 3 is good why didn't you put any of that in your email using your own words
    very true!
    I thought mentioning the condensation on the window and the fact they mentioned it in their report as a clever move, although if it isn't in this case then i would be extremely grateful of your (further) help on this PlanB

As for the loft bit (which i assume you think is best left out in any case), i would assume that surveyors have a set of step ladders with them - for when they get out of the car that is

Thank you for all your help with this PlanB. Lets hope we can get it fully turned around!
    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
      I thought mentioning the condensation on the window and the fact they mentioned it in their report as a clever move, although if it isn't in this case then i would be extremely grateful of your (further) help on this PlanB
      Golly, I thought I'd got the wrong thread for a minute when I saw your new manly avatar

I didn't realise the condensation issue had been mentioned in the HBOS survey. In which case turn it to your advantage by saying that because the report referred to the condensation you felt confident that the surveyor must have done a thorough inspection which would have included the roof void.

Did that report specifically refer to the water stain on the ceiling? If it didn't then add that since the survey didn't refer to that damp patch on the ceiling (but did comment on condensation) you had every reason to believe that the surveyor had seen it (because you couldn't miss it) so checked it out and decided it wasn't an issue.

Comment

As for the loft bit (which i assume you think is best left out in any case), i would assume that surveyors have a set of step ladders with them
        Only answer the question the FOS lady has asked. Think of this as being cross examined by counsel at a hearing. Don't tell them anything which could harm your defence

She hasn't asked you if there was access to the loft, so don't shoot yourself in the foot by telling her it was almost impossible to get to it so no one can blame the poor surveyor for giving it a miss She won't expect you as an ordinary member of the public (who may have been on crutches at the time due to a broken leg for all she knows) to have climbed up into a loft to check the roof - especially when you knew that was going to be checked by a qualified surveyor afterwards. I would never go into the roof void when I'm viewing property because I'm scared of spiders

She hasn't asked you about the price you paid for the house so don't tell her you got it reduced because there were other problems with it (eg the condensation)

Comment

Golly, I thought I'd got the wrong thread for a minute when I saw your new manly avatar

I didn't realise the condensation issue had been mentioned in the HBOS survey.
          It didn't and sorry for mis-leading you to think that. It advised to check for "adequate guarantees for the double glazing and central heating system" under the "Matters for your conveyance" heading. The document can be seen here. Do you know if that is standard entries, or another way of saying: i think your windows and heating are knackered - check them.

Did that report specifically refer to the water stain on the ceiling? If it didn't then add that since the survey didn't refer to that damp patch on the ceiling (but did comment on condensation) you had every reason to believe that the surveyor had seen it (because you couldn't miss it) so checked it out and decided it wasn't an issue.
          No comment about the ceiling.

Sorry if this is becoming a bit of a chore PlanB. I really hope that if i (we) can nail this reply she will favour us over those crooks at Halifax/Colleys.

If they did, do you know if FOS just turn to Halifax and say cough up - and they do?!

Many thanks
          SA Gold
          When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thank you for all your help with this PlanB. Lets hope we can get it fully turned around!
            ^^^^ What do you mean by *we* ? I know what you're thinking and it's not going to happen. I am not going to write this email for you

Comment

If they did, do you know if FOS just turn to Halifax and say cough up - and they do?
              Don't count your chickens before they've hatched

Comment

^^^^ What do you mean by *we* ? I know what you're thinking and it's not going to happen. I am not going to write this email for you

I will re-read all your comments PlanB and post back my intended response. Hope you don't mind correcting where necessary

Comment

Morning,

Do you think this is suitable?

Hi Mrs FOS

Thank you for your email.

When viewing the house i was only deciding if it would make a suitable home. There were lots of decorative marks which i was planning to resolve as part of a painting and decorating exercise. I knew a professional survey would be carried out at the mortgage stage and I was relying on that survey before making any final financial commitment to the purchase. It was precisely that reason i studied the Colleys' website in some detail and took screenshots of exactly what to expect from it including a roof void inspection.

I trust that clarifies the position although please don't hesitate to contact me should you require further information.

Kind regards

SA Gold
                  Last edited by SA Gold; 12 September 2013, 09:34.

Comment

If I were your teacher I'd give you an A+ for that piece of work. You've simply answered her question.

Comment

• Re: Getting no-where with Halifax mortgage complaint

If I were your teacher I'd give you an A+ for that piece of work. You've simply answered her question.

Thanks PlanB!
                      Are you happy for me to send (outside of school of course!)

Comment

Thanks PlanB!
                        Are you happy for me to send
                        Yep. Send that great email to Ms FOS

It doesn't really matter what comes back because you (or should I say we ) will have the opportunity to challenge it. Her first response will sum up everything both you and HBOS have said. This will be the first time you'll see what story HBOS has spun. You will then have a chance to knock that on the head. And if that fails you refer it to an Ombudsman proper.

Unless, of course, she upholds your complaint at this early stage

Have a good weekend

Comment

sent. Thanks for all your help with this PlanB
                          Would be lovely if she upholds our efforts straight away!
                          Ill keep you posted. Have a great weekend!

Comment

Update:

I feel its a liberty they go back to the "i wouldn't expect a basic survey...." bit. Also, the time and date is irrelevant - you can tell any digital camera what the time and date is.
                            P!$$ed off!

Dear SA Gold

your complaint about Bank of Scotland plc (trading as Halifax)

Thank you for your email. I have considered all the information and comments from both sides, and am now writing to set out my assessment.

I understand you’re unhappy with the survey carried out by Halifax (Colleys). In particular, when you moved into your property you realised there was considerable damage to the ceiling and chimney area. You have pointed out that a ‘roof void inspection’ should have been included as part of the inspection, as per Colleys’ website for a ‘basic valuation’.

my approach and findings

Whilst you explain the defect was visible at the time, there is no date/time on the photos you’ve sent me. So I cannot comment with any certainty that these defects would have been seen by the attending surveyor.

And as I explained in my first email to you, I would only expect a fairly basis inspection on the property in a valuation for mortgage purposes. This type of survey is purely for the lender to decide what (if any) amount it’s prepared to lend against it.

With a basic valuation, Colleys is not obliged to look into any defects in depth. It will only highlight items which are considered to materially affect the property’s value. In your case, it noted some maintenance may have been required but was acceptable for lending purposes. It is then ultimately up to the lender to decide if it wants to secure its money based on the information given on the valuation. Halifax can secure the lending how it
                            wishes – with or without any defects.

So, the only intention of the lender valuation is to see if the possible security is at risk – and not, for the borrower’s purposes in any way.

I appreciate you’ve said that from a non-professional person’s point of view, you may not have understood the limitations of this kind of valuation. However, if you had any concerns at the outset, it would’ve been in your own interests to bring this up as a specific issue and to instruct a ‘homebuyers survey’ – which would have been for your own purposes. I can’t see that you highlighted the problem at the time.

conclusions

Colleys was not required to do anymore than it had on the basic valuation. But I hope that my explanation has been helpful in setting out clearly why I have taken this view.

As we explain in our leaflet, your complaint and the ombudsman, consumers have the right to ask the ombudsman to review their case – as the final stage in our process. But if we do not hear from you by 14 October 2013, we will take it that you have decided not to pursue the complaint further.

Yours sincerely

X X X

Adjudicator

Comment

Thread moved to Debt and Housing Section, which is more appropriate

Comment

Update: I feel its a liberty they go back to the "i wouldn't expect a basic survey...." bit. Also, the time and date is irrelevant - you can tell any digital camera what the time and date is.
                                P!$$ed off!
                                I still think the Adjudicator is missing the point. And she's not addressed it in her response either. You paid for a survey which was supposed to include inspection of certain items (roof void) and it didn't. If it was only for the benefit of the lender then why FFS did HBOS send it to you to read Why didn't they simply put the report in the shredder before releasing the funds if it was none of your business.

I can't comment on the digital picture thing, but have you got a way of sourcing the date when they were taken? She's implying that the condition may not have been like that when the surveyor went to the property. You will need to get the date of his visit and the date of those photos to prove her wrong.

Send this complaint off to an Adjudicator.

Comment

Working...
                                X