GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script CIFAS - Data Aggregation Repository - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CIFAS - Data Aggregation Repository

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIFAS - Data Aggregation Repository

Hi all,

Any idea what CIFAS' "Data Aggregation Repository" is!?

Basically I had an awful mortgage journey, which resulted in being declined but various [nonsense] reasons were given (e.g. all of the following, at various points in the journey: adverse, undeclared credit, undeclared income, not being affordable and finally just "audit department").

I got around to SARing CIFAS & National Hunter. National Hunter shows the application as clear in every single box... so far so good.

A few days later, the CIFAS letter comes back and it's evidently NOT clear, but I have no idea exactly what it means. It's not 'good' but then is it 'bad'??

When I raised yet another complaint (this time about the fact they put me on CIFAS), they basically said they've already covered that (they haven't) and won't enter any further correspondence.

I intend to appeal to CIFAS, but before I waste my/their time, does anyone know what the below means? And how long it remains - I've read 12/13 months but then also 3/6 years! If it's 13 months I might as well just leave them to it...

have a four page CIFAS DSAR (Electronic due to Covid):

Page 1 is a letter addressed to myself and includes the below quote:

A Cifas Member that receives a Cifas warning from the system is not allowed automatically to reject an application or to close a facility because of the warning.

A copy of the Cifas complaints procedure is enclosed. Please note that no correspondence concerning Cifas data can be entered into except under the terms of this procedure.
    I don't know if that's standard for all their letters, but suspect it is for all letters where there is an entry....

Page 2 is the information page and only states the below:

Data Aggregation Repository
    The Data Aggregation Repository consists of intelligence records supplied by Cifas members. These individual records are not shared by Cifas but may subsequently contribute to an Aggregated Data Alert filed to the National Fraud Database. Should any such Alert exist, then it will be shown within this document as a National Fraud Database entry filed by "Cifas – Aggregated Data Alert”.

The following intelligence records relating to you have been supplied to Cifas. If you would like to dispute a record, please contact the providing member directly.

-------------------------------------
    Provided By: [Mortgage Lender]
    Date recorded: [Date - approx. 2 weeks after the application was declined]
    Reference: [I believe this was the mortgage application reference number]

(then blank space until page 3)
    Pages 3 & 4 go on to explain what CIFAS is, but nothing useful

I thought the "National fraud database" was Hunter (which shows as clear), but CIFAS seem to indicate it is them. If it is them, that makes the text even more confusing - is there an alert at the database, or isn't there??? Or is the 'alert' solely the "provided by/date recorded/reference" info? As there's no entry filed "cifas - aggregated data alert" as they appear to suggest [Colour coding was me]

So my confusion is what exactly is Data Aggregation Repository and what are the consequences of being on there. I thought CIFAS markers had codes next to them (e.g. 0 is protective registration, Cat 6 is first party fraud etc.), so what exactly is the entry above with no code!?

Also, I assume it means future lenders will (or may) refer to the mortgage lender in question to get their version of events - since CIFAS say all records are held by the lender. So effectively this lender has placed a "please call us to discuss" card... and they can then tell whatever lies they want to future lenders!?

And as the bank aren't answering my DSARs properly or my questions, I can't tell what it is they are sharing/planning to share! Not sure how that's fair or legal?!

In the bank's latest final response, they say it is "their understanding" [not exactly reassuring!] that the marker "will not cause a mortgage application to be declined, unless the lender has other concerns with the application". Is that correct, or are they just trying to get the heat off themselves and hope that I go away (£2k in FOS fees so far...).

Only small bit of comfort is that I have multiple credit accounts (4+ credit cards and easily 5+ bank accounts, all with different banks) and none (touch wood) have been closed down yet - 3 months from this marker being placed. One account has a very large overdraft so I'd expect that to be the first to go if the lender was spooked by this 'fraud'.... so I'm a tad confused!!!

Hi, I have no idea about this, but send a message to Niddy webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk with a link to this post.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hiya, thanks for your reply!

I'll pop an email over now - it's a very strange situation, I expected to see Cat # (which would then give me something to fight against), not a random statement and no code!

Comment

Originally posted by 1NightInIbiza View Post
        I had an awful mortgage journey, which resulted in being declined but various [nonsense] reasons were given (e.g. all of the following, at various points in the journey: adverse, undeclared credit, undeclared income, not being affordable and finally just "audit department").

. . . . In the bank's latest final response, they say it is "their understanding" [not exactly reassuring!] that the marker "will not cause a mortgage application to be declined, unless the lender has other concerns with the application".

I'm not sure how along ago you made that mortgage application but I'm wondering whether your bankruptcy in 2014/15 may have had a negative effect if there were any anomalies on the application.

Niddy referred to this potential on your thread in 2016 >

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
        Re: New start.....

Well the referral will be due to N. Hunter (analytics) recognising the BR and / or due to internal historical records. Yes the BR may now be gone but if for instance you applied for something too early and said No to BR (on application) but the CRA's still showed it then analytics (N Hunter) would pick up the abnomilty thus forcing a referral.
        Link to your other thread > https://all-about-debt.co.uk/forum/d...9450-new-start

I agree with cym that you should ask Niddy for help.

Di

Comment

Hi Di, thanks for your reply,

It was only a recent application (so nearly 5 years discharged) - the lender that placed the marker accepts bankrupts after 3 years discharged (subject to scoring etc.). They were aware of the bankruptcy as they raised 101 questions at DIP stage (as they're entitled to do, of course), so it shouldn't be that. Of course if I applied at a lender like Santander/Virgin (no bankrupts ever for mortgages) and said no, then it'd be totally justified.

I've spoken to Niddy - I'm now trying to get more info from CIFAS directly (rather than the lender, who aren't budging), and challenging the accuracy at the same time.

CIFAS are supposed to make the data/SAR into a format that I can reasonably understand. If I don't know an earth Data Aggregation Repository is supposed to mean, then I can't be sure the data is correct.

So if they won't explain it, they shouldn't be holding it. Next stop ICO, if CIFAS aren't helpful. Will let you know what CIFAS come back with!

Comment

We're chattering on email about this - awaiting a response from CIFAS where we're pushing them to prove that the lender met the standard of proof which we doubt they have
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for your help Niddy! Will let everyone know what CIFAS have to say (and what this marker actually is!) when I hear back

Comment

Originally posted by 1NightInIbiza View Post
                Thanks for your help Niddy! Will let everyone know what CIFAS have to say (and what this marker actually is!) when I hear back

And then what happened

Di

Comment

Hi Di

So CIFAS are useless and ignored me (do they fall under FOS??!!), even when I emailed the CEO. Might send a recorded letter and then escalate to FOS/ICO if they don't reply, just to get to the bottom of it and cause a bit more chaos/paperwork for them... but following the subsequent events, it's not strictly needed now (and if I poke these idiots too much, I'm worried they'll do something stupid like 'upgrade' the marker to a proper one!).

I have very recently managed to get a mortgage from a sensible lender, despite the adverse credit (bankruptcy etc.) still being on my file and covid-19 'prudent' lending etc.!!

Also applied for a 0% credit card this month (since becoming a owner and all the adverse dropping from my file) - it referred due to lack of ID/Electoral Roll... but sent my ID in and amazingly got a limit that's basically 1/3 of my salary!!

So this CIFAS "flag"/"note" or whatever it is doesn't appear to have actually impacted my credit applications (secured or unsecured), but I'm still staggered that they can even load anything on there. Possibly an "internal note", but can't see the reason for it.

If it's not being passed on to other lenders - then why load it?
                  If it is being passed around... it shouldn't be (but hasn't impacted anything)

Still waiting for FOS to rule on the original lender decision. FOS initially came back to say I'd not raised the CIFAS issue in the first complaint, but they'd consider everything else re: service/TCF etc. So I pointed out I clearly had raised the 'issue' of CIFAS/potential CIFAS, but I didn't know for sure there was data there until my follow-up due to DSAR delays. It's now gone back in the queue for investigation.

Thanks for all your help!!

Comment

Working...
                  X