GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script ebay problem - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ebay problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ebay problem

Aren't you too late to give feedback? And why bad feedback? He refunded the cost of the cushions and P&P costs. Like I said above, sellers aren't obliged to refund the cost of returning items though some do. I know you're annoyed but is it worth getting worked up for the sake of £3?
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
      Aren't you too late to give feedback? And why bad feedback? He refunded the cost of the cushions and P&P costs. Like I said above, sellers aren't obliged to refund the cost of returning items though some do. I know you're annoyed but is it worth getting worked up for the sake of £3?
      he went back on his word, in business to keep customers happy it isn't good to promise something and then go back on your word. I will give bad feedback so others don't get conned because although he isn't obliged to pay for the returns P&P he promised it and then didn't do it and that is bad in my view and how many others has this seller promised and not delivered.

I'm not worked up at all i just don't like being promised something and then not receiving and both this seller and ebay have gone back on their word.

ps he didn't refund the cost of P&P as he promised in his reply to me this is the whole point i am making and ebay went back on their word too .

Comment

Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
        It's the being fobbed off and the principle.
        yes and both the seller and ebay have fobbed me off .

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
          yes and both the seller and ebay have fobbed me off .
          So punish them both, by refusing to use them ever again.

It'll be their own fault if they go bankrupt as a result.

Comment

If you leave negative feedback, the seller can apply to have it expunged, which may be accommodated by eBay in this instance. More subtle would be to rate his "Detailed Seller Ratings" low, as the seller doesn't know who has rated him this way (theoretically). This will raise his "Defect" score, perhaps contributing to his overall performance's being declared "Below Standard", and invoking eBay sanctions. But...is it worth the possibility that in a week or two's time, full of the Christmas spirit, you might regret this? I'd sleep on it for a few days, and see if you still feel so strongly next week.

Comment

I think its too late to leave negative feedback, I think you have 45 days under ebuyer protection to lodge a dispute, and leave negative feedback, if you can still do it, its likely the seller will have it removed due to the reason above.

And yes its true, ebay operate from Luxembourg so no chance OFT or anyone else will take the matter up for you.

I think its best kept as a lesson learned and go elsewhere.

If im honest, ebay isn't fair for nearly ever seller either. Buyers always have the upperhand over them, the only thing they have left is the right to not refund postage. Its not nice but they are caught between a rock and hard place with all the protection buyers have.

Ill give you an example, I sold a high end DVD/Sat Nav car stereo to someone, all working perfectly fine, 2 weeks later claimed it is broke. Now I know full well it wasn't, and if it is, hes probably broke it. But under ebay buyer protection, he holds all the cards. He hasn't yet, but if he lodges a dispute, I will have no choice but to take back a £1200 broken stereo and refund his money.

Hes luckly agreed to get a professional audio installers report to confirm its broke before lodging a complaint, so that's shortened the time he has left to complain, and I may just get lucky. But in no way am I going to pay for the postage.

I understand your situation and in fairness it would be nice to have the postage repaid, but as you can see from my post, buyers are reluctant as they don't have many options left to them.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
                i bought an item on ebay last July
                I've only had a quick glance at this thread but what was the sudden reason which prompted you to feel the need to fight this battle four months later?

Don't get me wrong I'm the most spirited consumer you'll ever find, but a fight over £3 which occupies several hours of letter writing and/or web chat has to be based on some real feeling of injustice (four months later).

Sometimes 'let it go' works however difficult it may seem.

I believe in karma which means whatever goes around comes around. ebay and this rogue trader will get their comeuppance eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                  I've only had a quick glance at this thread but what was the sudden reason which prompted you to feel the need to fight this battle four months later?

Don't get me wrong I'm the most spirited consumer you'll ever find, but a fight over £3 which occupies several hours of letter writing and/or web chat has to be based on some real feeling of injustice (four months later).

Sometimes 'let it go' works however difficult it may seem.

I believe in karma which means whatever goes around comes around. ebay and this rogue trader will get their comeuppance eventually.

Because i trusted the person who said i would receive £3 voucher and only use ebay occasionally, i logged in an found nothing i know its only 3 quid but why should they get away with promising something only to go back on their word .

Comment

I've been thinking about this. Was it the original postage and packing that hasn't been refunded or the postage for returning the cushions?

Ironically I've received an item from ebay this afternoon which is damaged (sent by Royal Mail).

Comment

Was it the original postage and packing that hasn't been refunded or the postage for returning the cushions?
                      The latter - Spent2Much paid 56/- to return the cushion because it was apparently not the same colour as the illustration.

DTTKUATB !

Comment

I sell on eBay (top rated Silver Powerseller status... lol) so can see both sides of the coin. eBay is a bad deal for buyers by default, because of their ridiculously high fees, 10% of the purchase price plus more supplementary charges on top, and heavy arm twisting to give fast delivery and "free" postage on every sale... all built into the final prices, of course.

The buyers have all the power and they know it, eBay always side with them for the most spurious of reasons, all they have to do is make a complaint and even a hint of a case possibly being opened in the future is enough to have sellers quaking.

Example: Sold £35 item and sent it next day. 10 days later buyer opens a case claiming "Item not received" - I upload the tracking number and proof of delivery - hurrah eBay close the case in my favour.

5 days after that buyer opens up a second case "I have sent it back and I want a refund, item not as described, didn't like the box it was packaged in". So after failing to execute an "item not received" fraud, the buyer seeks his money back by any means possible - affecting my eBay defect score. 5 days later the item slithers back through my door with insufficient postage. I explain to eBay that I will refund despite the attemped fraud, just to close the matter down, but not happy to take a hit on my defect score because of this fraudster. eBay basically said tough, my word against his, if not happy with packaging then it's his right to complain so take it on the chin.

Don't even get me started on all the moaners, buyers chasing delivery after one business day has passed, people trying to con, claiming items not received all the time... it has to have been one of the most soul destroying insights into human behaviour ever since I started on that site. And powerseller status means nothing... £35,000 in sales and about 5% as profit after eBay fees and hundreds of pounds spent paying undeserving moaners to go away before they destroy my site reputation and business... Don't get me wrong, if someone has a genuine problem I'll always go out of my way to solve it for them, but the majority of mean-spirited, petty eBay individuals I have to deal with on a daily basis really takes the p*ss! It's like they are in "battle mode" from the very first communication.... you wouldn't speak to a dog the way some of my incoming messages are worded... oh well, rant over....

Comment

Originally posted by Grassy_K View Post
                          you wouldn't speak to a dog the way some of my incoming messages are worded.
                          Of course one wouldn't, because:
                          1. Dogs are generally eager to please humans and
                          2. Dogs have a limited comprehension of expletives.

Comment

Originally posted by Grassy_K View Post
                            I sell on eBay (top rated Silver Powerseller status... lol) so can see both sides of the coin. eBay is a bad deal for buyers by default, because of their ridiculously high fees, 10% of the purchase price plus more supplementary charges on top, and heavy arm twisting to give fast delivery and "free" postage on every sale... all built into the final prices, of course.
                            I don't mean to be pedantic Grassy_K but shouldn't that be that eBay is a bad deal for sellers not buyers?

Like I've said before I only sell on eBay occasionally but I've noticed that the fees have got a lot higher including charging fees on the postage costs. I've also been enrolled in the global shipping programme regardless of whether I want to sell things overseas or not.

Comment

I've been thinking about this. Was it the original postage and packing that hasn't been refunded or the postage for returning the cushions?

Ironically I've received an item from ebay this afternoon which is damaged (sent by Royal Mail).

the return postage hasn't been refunded and i am only peeved because the seller promised to refund 'as it is their aim to keep customers happy' if he had said NO i would have sent them back anyway and not bothered but it is the fact he promised and went back on his word .

Comment

Grassy ment sellers as did i
                                Oops. Yes ebay fees and paypal fees about 15% total. Most people's markups are eaten up by that. Then the fixed postage charges on items means sellers profits are so small it's hardly worth it. I know of someone in the same situation. Because of a high turnover. (not high profit) he now has to be vat registered. He can't increase he's prices because people will go elsewhere so after fees and VAT, he's profit is so small that basically after expenses he's running a loss. He's only option was to play the system set up another ebay store under someone else's name and split the costs to avoid vat. Technically fraud, but what can you do.

Comment

Working...
                                X