GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Banking E-mail Scams *Phishing* - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banking E-mail Scams *Phishing*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Banking E-mail Scams *Phishing*

There are new ways of scamming you now, trojans which you could install accidently, actually change the original websites look, i.e includes a few extra boxes in the login section. The website is genuine, you wouldnt know any different, but the extra info you add gets sent to the scammers, they have full control over the account.

You can even be fooled in to how much money you are transfering and to whom, because it makes it look like its legit, but its actually changing the amount and account number in the background. You may see £1 to Mr Smith, when its actually transfered £100 to MR Scammer.

Which is why bank websites are constantly changing the look and feel of the login page, to counteract the hackers who create wrapped content.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I think it's easy to spot why this one I received last week was an obvious scam

Perhaps they should remember that here in the UK it's 'cheque' not 'check'!
      Attached Files
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Don't know if you've all read about the latest Scam e-mail going about ASDA and its Voucher E-mail.....Well this is similar to one of those: this is 'Postcode Lottery'

They'll actually use your Name on the

Dear xxxxxxxx xxxxxx Congratulations

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1391534

and they'll even put in 2 other bogus names to make it feel that you have won.

Who is BankBeauty? doesn't exist
        If you also look at the bottom of the Picture, you notice that the Link is set as 'Windowsdoorsunlocking'

Comment

I've had shyte loads of these scam emails for years..... since joining Facebook actually.

Must have had scam emails from every bank under the sun, as well as spoof Paypal emails, we-can-get-you-out-of-debt emails, grow a bigger penis emails and so on.

I got out of debt myself thanks and if I ever find a penis of any size growing down there, I'll join the circus....

Remember the mantra:
          NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
          Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
          Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

Worryingly, I've recently noticed "tax refund" emails going into my inbox rather than the junk folder.

I'm not going to be taken in by these (I've already had my tax refund ) but some people might believe they're actually from HMRC because they haven't been flagged up as junk.
            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
              The phishing emails have been around a lot longer than Facebook! I started receiving them in 2001 and since then I've got probably 1000s of emails purporting to be from paypal, HMRC and their US counterpart as well as every bank in the UK, the US, OZ and NZ! In the beginning I used to report them to the relevant institutions but, 11 years later, still get the same.
              They have been going round for years, I agree.... but interestingly, I get none to my "PriorityOne" email account because it's not linked to Facebook.....
              Remember the mantra:

Comment

Just remember, HMRC NEVER email you.

If you follow that rule, you will never go wrong, never wonder if it was real, never wonder if you missed a refund.

HMRC do email people like me, but mainly its automated confirmations from client submissions.

If they believe you owe/owed anything, you would get a nice brown envelope through the door.

Talking about the first scam/junk email i ever got, was back in the days of Compuserve and AOL, long before the world wide web as we know it today. These were simply terminals with email accounts.

I remember the first one was a chain mail telling me that it first started in 1802 when some idiot got bad luck for breaking some glass (some bollox like that) what amazed me was everyone who forwarded it on, without first thinking, they didnt have email or internet in 1802?

Comment

haha, they prob stick payments in white envelopes so it looks like normal post idk.

There are some people working at HMRC collecting info on people and passing it on so you get scam refund emails, they know its going on, but its hard to track them down without being caught in the act.

Comment

As soon as a scam mentions NIGERIA.... it's game over....

I had someone wanting to buy an item of mine on Gumtree a few months back. I gave him the runaround for about a week..... he sent 3 fake "Paypal" confirmations but insisted I needed to get a tracking code before Paypal would release the money. It was hilarious!!

Remember the mantra:

Comment

Not all bad. At least the gunmen didn't steal their laptop

Comment

LOL through all that, they still found time to trace your email address, use a computer and send you an email.

In light of that fact, i can only assume they are not as hard done by as they say, and id avise you send them a PO for 1p.

Im sure i got that email a few months back, looks like they are still waiting for that flight!

Comment

My worry is that they say they were attacked by "unknown gunmen" which implies that they might have friends who are known gunmen and FP better send a donation for her own safety

Comment

Working...
                          X