GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Can I recover files from a defunct hard drive or should I just kill myself now? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I recover files from a defunct hard drive or should I just kill myself now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can I recover files from a defunct hard drive or should I just kill myself now?

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
    I'm nervous to leave it with PC World becuase they were fined last year for reading data on people's computers which came in for a service
    That was the way that Paul Gadd (aka Simon Shitter) got nabbed.

Comment

Re: Can I recover files from a defunct hard drive or should I just kill myself now?

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
      I would not take anything to PC Hell; they are the biggest bunch of eejits on the planet...although they did catch that filthy excuse for a human being Vince Vomit!!
      Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
        Which ended his glittering career. Boom Boom

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
          Which ended his glittering career. Boom Boom
          Then the Vietnamese started a revival when they sang "Do you want to be in our chain gang?"

I did hear that tinsel was banned in Vietnam.......they were intending to hang Glitter instead! Shame it didn't work out for them!
          Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
            Am I reading correctly, is that an offer? If so, it's appreciated!

I wouldn't mind paying something to someone who does recover the data...
            I'm happy to give it a go for you. I would need to know the following.....sorry if you have already given this.

1. How big is the drive?
            2. You mentioned Firewire which is just the connection method but what kind of internal connector was used between the drive and the casing? i.e. Ribbon or SATA (small and flat)
            3. Is there something special or important you want to retrieve or is it a full retrieve?

The size will determine how to best retrieve and redirect the new data.

If it's dead then the only cost will be the postage. If I can retrieve the data then we can sort an agreeable cost.....and it won't be much.

I did smile when you mentioned the guy in the shop saying the voice coil had gone; sort of correct but a voice coil drives a speaker! It sounds like he had the right intentions.

Let me know

MJ

sigpic

Comment

Okay, the Deskstar was well known for these kind of issues back then. There was a point where they switched from IBM <> Hitachi but it's too long ago for me to remember the date. I know I sent back about five units that were replaced.

The best way to do this is for you to remove the drive from the enclosure if you can. You'll probably need some T8 or similar Torx driver - just try not to touch the PCB or components. If you want to transfer all of the data then it would be far cheaper for you to include another drive (SATA PATA makes no difference as I have connectivity for all drives) and post it to me.

I think we need to work on the assumption that we are going to extract all of the data as this way we can cover all eventualities. If it works and I can extract and transfer the data I then send the newer drive back to you and use the old one as a doorstop. If it fails then I can send back the newer drive and keep the old one as a doorstop; does that make sense?

Let me know if that is okay and I can PM you with my address etc.

MJ

sigpic

Comment

MJ, thanks for all your help here - great to see members helping each other like this
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

MJ if you find any of Flower Power's romantic emails on there be sure to post them up ok

Comment

Hi FP

You should have a PM with my name and address. Send the drives when you are ready and I'll start the recovery process. I am starting another course of treatment 8th and 9th February so that will wipe me out and slow me down. If all goes well it should be 2-3 day turnaround if Postman Pat is on his toes!

MJ

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                      MJ, thanks for all your help here - great to see members helping each other like this
                      Hey no problems. I am more than happy to help and that applies to anyone who has IT problems. If I can sort them I will do so.

Too much greed in this world and I for one would like to change the balance.

MJ

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mauijim View Post
                        I am more than happy to help and that applies to anyone who has IT problems. If I can sort them I will do so. MJ
                        Me next

And good luck with your next course of treatment

Comment

Good luck with the next round of treatments MJ

Comment

Working...
                          X